We want to know what you think of the new software, what you like, dislike, etc...

Sound off!
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 04-08-2010 at 02:05 PM.
    04-08-2010 10:20 AM
    Some good stuff in 4.0 but I'm a bit disappointed that notifications are being updated in a way I did not expect. I was under the impression it would look more subtle rather than continuing to pop up in my face each and every time.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 04-08-2010 at 01:52 PM.
    04-08-2010 01:49 PM
    Overall I was underwhelmed with the 4.0 release there was nothing new that a competitor does not already do. Granted no one has everything all in one place like the iPhone 4.0, but I didnt see any real innovation. It feels like they are just playing catch up with RIM / Android.

Innovative for iPhone YES

Innovative in general - NO

Not the A+ upgrade I hoped for.
    Last edited by Jerry-O; 04-08-2010 at 02:08 PM.
    04-08-2010 02:04 PM
    They've really pissed me off that iphone 3g dosent get multitasking, which is the best feature of the damn thing. STUPID APPLE!
    04-08-2010 02:08 PM
    We will all still miss out multiple notifications that arrive.
    Still no elegant notifications like the Android
    04-08-2010 02:10 PM
    They've really pissed me off that iphone 3g dosent get multitasking, which is the best feature of the damn thing. STUPID APPLE!
    They have to cut it off somewhere. Really no different that Android in that respect. Time for you to upgrade...
    04-08-2010 02:11 PM
    We will all still miss out multiple notifications that arrive.
    Still no elegant notifications like the Android
    Biggest disappointment for me.
    04-08-2010 02:12 PM
    Overall I was underwhelmed with the 4.0 release there was nothing new that a competitor does not already do. Granted no one has everything all in one place like the iPhone 4.0, but I didnt see any real innovation. It feels like they are just playing catch up with RIM / Android.

Innovative for iPhone YES

Innovative in general - NO

Not the A+ upgrade I hoped for.
    Agreed. Plus no updates to the Homescreen and Notifications. My Jailbroken 3GS does most of this now and more. Oh well maybe more surprises await but I'm not holding my breath.
    04-08-2010 02:13 PM
    I have multitasking on my 3G because it's jailbroken but the limited memory really hampers the 3G's ability to do it well. Often I'll get low memory notifications.

I'm sure Apple knows the limitations of the 3G and it's because of these limitations the 3G isn't getting multitasking.
    04-08-2010 02:16 PM
    The requested changes to notifications may still happen. We only saw a small portion of the changes to the OS. I would love to see changes to the notifications, but if it doesn't happen in this release, I'm still thrilled with the changes they showed off today. Looks good so far.
    04-08-2010 02:17 PM
    I saw little worth losing my jailbreak over... Hope the hardware is more of an upgrade or the competition is starting to look better
    04-08-2010 02:24 PM
    I wasnt all that impressed with the new improvements, but Apple did surprise us with this event that was only found out about a week before. Who knows, Apple may surprise us again with some BIGGER changes. Guess I have nothing to make me wanna stop jailbreaking. Oh well.......
    04-08-2010 02:29 PM
    Multi Tasking is Great, but my jail broken 3gs does that already....

Unified Inbox will be very helpful, i am glad about that, but i dont think i'll kill my jailbreak for that. Where is the lock screen modifications?? I dont think i could use my iPhone without lock info...
    04-08-2010 02:29 PM
    Huge let down that they didn't fix the notifications, that and no widgets/weather/locksscreen info has it looking way behind that incredible HTC evo, I just don't it. Another year of annoying pop up notifications that cancel out all those before them making them essentially useless?
    04-08-2010 02:33 PM
    Seriously thinking of switching to android or back to Palm and keeping the iPad.
    04-08-2010 02:35 PM
    I'm not thrilled either, but:
    1.Apple has a history of doing this type of thing (remember original iPhone owners being left out of MMS?)
    2. The 3G is 2 years old and doesn't have enough memory to run background apps efficiently. (although letting the user make that decision would be OK with me)
    3. I'd wait to see the specs on the NEW iPhone before upgrading .
    Dim
    04-08-2010 02:36 PM
    I'm not too sure that widgets/lockscreen mods aren't some of the other features as yet unmentioned.
    Probably only work on new iPhone much like the 3G won't do augmented reality or compass function.
    04-08-2010 02:39 PM
    Huge let down that they didn't fix the notifications...
    So what they showed us today was everything that OS 4 has to offer? Huh... I thought it was a preview. Maybe you have seen into the future and know exactly was OS 4 will bring to the table?

It always amazes me when people hear only what they want to hear and fill in the gaps with pessimism.
    04-08-2010 02:41 PM
    I'm also very interested to find out if voip works on the iPad...
    <added> especially over cellular data...</added>
    Last edited by Dimwit; 04-08-2010 at 02:45 PM.
    04-08-2010 02:41 PM
    I was really hoping the multitasking was more in the way of "Backgrounder" on my JB iPhone. It puts me in control of what and when I want something in the background. The way it sounded was if the developer doesn't want to allow backgrounding, they don't code it in.

I also was wanting something like SBSettings. A much easier way of toggling settings.
    04-08-2010 02:53 PM
    iPhone 3G doesn't get multi-tasking, iPhone (EDGE) gets nothing! Take a look at the iPhone OS 4 Compatibility section on Apple's site.
    04-08-2010 03:24 PM
    I was really hoping for a rework of notifications, but I suppose that's not something they really have to announce at a developer conference as it's just a UI change and not necessary for API calls to change ( if they do it properly ).

Lockscreen info is one of the reasons I jailbreak, and something like this WOULD require new APIs and to tell the developers about. Oh well, guess my reasons to jailbreak is less but still is that 1 thing I really would miss.
    04-08-2010 03:24 PM
    Geez, maybe a box of tissues should have been included with this thread.
    04-08-2010 03:27 PM
    Multi-tasking I really don't see what the big hoopla is all about although a bit annoying I do fine with my single tasking. However ofcourse if I have it I'll use it like the coming back to the app just how you left it part though.

Universal mailbox sounds cool but not a big deal to me I kinda like my mailboxes seperated. It would be easier to see both so I'm 50/50 on that one.

I love the App folders the most I will definately get the most out of that feature.

Well it seems Apple knows how to get my money LOL I'm still waiting on my iPad here in Canada and after that I will either wait for the 4th gen iPhone to drop and get an older 3Gs once the prices go down so I can get 4.0 and still JB.
    04-08-2010 03:33 PM
    I'm with you on this one.....It's BS.....
    04-08-2010 03:48 PM
123 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD