What do you think of the iPhone OS 4.0 software?

DataCentre

Jan 26, 2010
www.datacentredesigns.ca
I updated to Beta 2. I regret it very much. Battery life is horrible, can't save media, no camera or video, and cannot connect to the We Rule server.

Stay away from Beta 2. I can't even get back to Beta 1.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Honestly it just was not the "A+" upgrade I had hoped for.

Exactly like the leaked prototype being ugly in my opinion.. let alone a smaller screen = negative for me..

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Honestly it just was not the "A+" upgrade I had hoped for.

Exactly like the leaked prototype being ugly in my opinion.. let alone a smaller screen = negative for me..

It's not a noticeable size difference, in fact when you set the two beside each other the new one's screen actually looks bigger because the width of the body has been reduced.

Also, you don't know all the details of the new software yet. Apple always holds back a few punches before the final release, and this year I have a feeling they are pulling out all the stops to get back the hype they will have lost because of the leaks.

In any case, you'll end up buying it so it doesn't really matter what you say now :p

AxeYrCat#IM

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I updated to Beta 2. I regret it very much. Battery life is horrible, can't save media, no camera or video, and cannot connect to the We Rule server.

Stay away from Beta 2. I can't even get back to Beta 1.

Ugh. Thanks for that. Will stick with 1 then, despite its shortcomings.

airjan23

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
SMS Messages/MIME atachments

I saw that the OS 4.0 has a unified mailbox but was wondering if anyone knew if the new OS allows for the SMS messages to come in the background and not force you to close or reply to each one to close it? This gets very annoying when playing a game or using IM as it stops that app and forces you to close or reply.

Also, does the new OS fix the issue of forwarded messages showing up as gif or mime attachments?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Ugh. Thanks for that. Will stick with 1 then, despite its shortcomings.

Make sure you have beta 2 downloaded and ready to install though. At anytime the beta 1 could expire leaving your phone temporarily useless until you upgrade to beta 2. Also, make sure you don't have a password lock on your phone, this could cause issue if the beta expires on you.

frog_IM

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know if IRC will be able to utilise "multitasking" somehow?

I've been enjoying LimeChat on my iPad, and to a lesser extent iPhone (it's a wonderful app on the iPad)

But its a pain having to log out to read a website, or reply to an IM or send an email, etc...

One of the apps, for iPhone only, has a really awful implementation of push notifications - that invokes running the app on a Mac 24/7, and setting up some bouncer thing, and configuring routers, etc... and it breaks overtime your given a new IP, so that's more messing about - quite un-Apple like.

Even if it was only using the time-limited function, so 5-10 mins --- it'd be so much more useful.

killthelights32

Apr 26, 2009
Visit site
Apple has some great improvements with iPhone OS 4.0 I think the new multitasking feature will be a lot better than other platforms.

I do wish they would have changed the notifications system and maybe custom SMS tones.

I am satisfied with the new upgrade, but it doesn't give me the Steve Jobs' "Boom" I was hoping for. :p

iMario

May 10, 2010
www.make-coffee.net
Beta 1 was great, Beta 2 was slow as hell, Beta 3 is got some <<awesomeness>> back :D

Btw I love the new functions and the improved speed of the device.

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I like the changes made, but not seeing any improvement to the stone age, horrid notification system is a huge let-down, especially after playing around with a friends droid and seeing how elegant, simple, and well designed its notification system is.
The current pop-up cluster**** Apple is staying with is a joke, and not very "Apple-like" at all. Sometimes I wake up in the morning with a pop up on my iPhone from a game, and I'll check it, and then maybe hours later I discover I also had ten other notifications including a text message go un-noticed.

For me, this is something that really has me thinking hard about getting a Evo and just buying a touch to keep all my apps and iTunes access.
I'm absolutely blown away by apples continued use of their horrible and industry worst notifications..

Last edited:

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
When you install the iphone 4 beta os on an ipod touch, do you still have to pay the upgrade price when the final version is released?

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Apple has some great improvements with iPhone OS 4.0 I think the new multitasking feature will be a lot better than other platforms.

I do wish they would have changed the notifications system and maybe custom SMS tones.

I am satisfied with the new upgrade, but it doesn't give me the Steve Jobs' "Boom" I was hoping for. :p

I think we might get a boom next month, with ichat or something.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I can hardly wait for the new iPhone. I fell in the lake with my 3gs and it stopped working. It dried up and worked a bit with some bugs, but I sold it for 250, told the person of the water damage but he didn't care and now have the cash for the new one!!! In the mean time I'm using a crappy palm centro.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner