What do you think of the iPhone OS 4.0 software?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If you want to multitask on your 3G, jailbreak. Then you'll see why Apple won't support multitasking on the 3G - too slow.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
100% agree with Alli.

Although I can mulititask on my 3g, I don't dare run a memory intensive app while having other apps running in the background.

Readover

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah this is partly what makes Apples products great. Everybody can use it! This way they don't get bad feedback from people who doesn't really know how to use it saying "ooh it's soo sloow after a while.. it's useless.. takes 10 minutes to start an app and yada yada yada.. bla bla bla"

AxeYrCat#IM

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
While I've been enjoying using some of the new features (very happy to have a global inbox), I have to agree that an update to the notification system would have been great. Additionally, I really think that the way Palm's WebOS handles ending programs/multitasking is far superior to the user experience on the iPhone, though in the case of Palm, it was definitely at the expense of battery life.

Frankly, I feel like the way it's handled in 4.0 is pretty similar to how it used to be on old Windoze Mobile devices: Closing a program doesn't really close it, you have to bring up the task manager and close it by clicking on the insipid [X] there. Pretty similar to the (?) that you now need to use to end a program on the iPhone. *shrug*

I also don't like that I lost my double-tap-home shortcut.

Overall, a nice update, but from the UX standpoint, nothing at all groundbreaking.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
Just wait until developers start putting those 1500+ new APIs to good use. The really impressive new features will be more obvious at that point.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
I was trying to come to terms with folders. I have not been bothered with multiple home screens, and use one home screen per "category" of apps. Having folders means that I will have all of my apps on one screen. I'm not sure if I like that... I will obviously have to wait until OS 4 drops, but I'm just so darn used to swiping to get to my applications.

AxeYrCat#IM

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Just wait until developers start putting those 1500+ new APIs to good use. The really impressive new features will be more obvious at that point.

No doubt.

However, I still think that the way one ends programs and even the way one accesses the running programs is inelegant. Does it work? Sure. Is it better than nothing? Yes. Is it good? Well, no, not really.

AxeYrCat#IM

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
My hope is that with folders I only need a home screen. No?

You could certainly do that. I went from 3 screens down to two.

What I'd actually meant was that I had my the button setup such that when I'd double-tap it, it'd launch the Camera app ? very convenient if you want to access your camera fast, and that's generally the app I want to be able to launch quickly and blind.

toGeorge

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Multitasking does not really impress me. The apps that already were multitasked were sufficient. The "all emails in one place" saves one or two taps, but rather unimpressive. Folders to contain like apps - nice, but minor.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Very very happy about the unified inbox! So tedious swiping through to get to all three of my email accounts.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Multitasking does not really impress me.
Be patient. It will. If it works as well as Apple hopes, much of it will be transparent to you but multi-tasking will support a whole new set of applications. After all, applications is what 4.0 is about. We will have passed the 200K mark by the time 4.0 hits the iPad.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Multitasking does not really impress me. The apps that already were multitasked were sufficient. The "all emails in one place" saves one or two taps, but rather unimpressive. Folders to contain like apps - nice, but minor.

Perhaps Android would suit your needs better?

As far as I go, I'm looking forward to 4.0.

andredr

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
The OS 4.0 lacks of:

?Better notification system
?Better scroll for sites and drop-down lists
?Find text
?More functional home screen
?Quality choice for Youtube videos
?Downloads support on Safari
?Flash-drive functionality

Last edited:

DataCentre

Jan 26, 2010
www.datacentredesigns.ca
So far I'm likin it. Have a few apps that don't work, and some that crash from time to time. Can't wait for the next update. Hope some issues get fixed. WiFi kills the battery fast compaired to 3.1.3.

DataCentre

Jan 26, 2010
www.datacentredesigns.ca
So far I'm liking it. Have a few apps that don't work, and some that crash from time to time. Can't wait for the next update. Hope some issues get fixed. WiFi kills the battery fast compaired to 3.1.3.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2