What do you think of the iPhone OS 4.0 software?

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
How did you get multi tasking with the jailbreak? I am jailbroke and want that. I also want folders to be able to group my apps together. Any idea? Please help me.

Backgrounder: multitasking app
Categories: categorize apps
Circuitous: used as a companion with backgrounder......it's an app-switcher app.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
If anyone is interested here are some screenshots of my 4.0 setup

IMG_0001.png

IMG_0002-1.png

BuddhistGirafe

BuddhistGirafe

BuddhistGirafe

Screenshot2010-04-08at63750PM.png

Thanks for the screens. They look pretty tight.

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Well, I am satisfied with it. We all complained about multitasking and we got it finally. For me the notifications never really bothered me much. I guess having something more appealing like the android would be pretty cool. One thing I would have been extremely pleased with, is having the icon on the top of your screen of what you have waiting to be opened. I.e. email, texts, etc. I enjoyed having that from JB. I would be really happy to see us be able to invite attendees from our calendar. I used this feature a lot in BB, but it's not the end of the world for me. I just have to remember to do it from my mac when I get home. In app SMS, I definitely hope this is more like reply directly from the app instead of having to close it out and go into messaging. One huge miss for me is the LockScreen. It just made me so much more organized being able to see everything in one screen and WHENEVER I needed it was great. But i'll take what I can get for now, and look forward to June to actually try it out.

On another note, RadioShack has a great Trade in Program that you can take your iphones and use towards new the G4, or for 3g owners towards 3gs! As of right now you can get almost $200 bucks for a 16gb 3g. If you have a 16gb 3GS you can get up to $341!!!! 3g owners should look into if they want to take advantage of the new 4.0, especially if the prices go down for the new iphones launching this summer.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm thrilled with the updates and I think it means a new phone model with some great improvements.

Last edited:

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I was happy with the announcement but not ecstatic.

I really wanted to see a change to notifications, maybe a new lock screen/home screen setup, and definitely an Expose like feature that would allow you to see all pages in one view instead of tabbing through or having to use spotlight. I guess folders will solve some of the thumbing through, but we'll see how that works.

I've got 4.0 installed and so far, it seems pretty snappy on my 3GS. We will see how the battery acts the next few days.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Have I mentioned how excited I am that they are opening up the calendar API to devs? OMFG! Finally!!!

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
Yep. That's one of the big ones. People just seem too interested in 1) ignoring that what we saw yesterday was just a preview of OS 4, not the final build, and 2) skipping over the bigger, under-the-hood changes that were touched on yesterday.

What developers are going to be able to do now is exciting with the upcoming release of OS 4, and the future of iPhone development looks to be very, very promising.

Last edited:

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
It would've been nice if we could change the SMS/Email alerts also with this new build. Also separate alerts for each email account would've been great. Other then that, most of what's coming I'm impressed with.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
It would've been nice if we could change the SMS/Email alerts also with this new build. Also separate alerts for each email account would've been great. Other then that, most of what's coming I'm impressed with.

I agree 100% I don't see why they don't implement something that, to us, seems so simple to do.......probably because it's not. :D

Until then, I can't wait until there's a jailbreak for 4.0!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
So is there a limit to how many apps can fit in a folder? It kinda sucks if you have to have Game1, Game2, Game3, etc.

I wonder if the zoom on the camera will be implimented ont he 3G?

Guys you have to remember everything will not be fixed with the update because then no one would upgrade after getting the 4th gen iPhone, alot of their employees would be out of jobs, and there would be no buzz around it. You can appreciate something when you know there is still more that needs to be fixed, if it's all fixed at once then it gets old real fast and besides that leaves little room for devs to improve on the OEM design. Thanks for the awesome screens and links. I'm now dying to get this :D Just wondering how long it will take to JB? I've been hearing Geohot got things figured out so we'll see.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Have I mentioned how excited I am that they are opening up the calendar API to devs? OMFG! Finally!!!

I think that the developers are going to do wonderful things with the new APIs.

I get tickled when I read "I have no need for multi-tasking." The issue is not the end user's need but the creative things that the developers can do with the APIs. Skype/VoIP is an example. In this case "multi-tasking" is the ability to receive incoming calls while in another application.

4.0 is going to come with deluge of new apps and new features in old apps.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
We are going to have to wait and see what the multi-tasking really will be able to offer
My expectation is that most of what we will see is more powerful apps. However, just the ability to save the state of an application and return to it will improve many apps.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think what's been shown so far is enough for me to lose my jailbreak. Remember guys, this was just a preview. All functionality and changes have not been shown. Just the big things important to developers.

As far as the people cry-assing over no multi-tasking for 3G users, the phone can't handle it. Doesn't have the power. If you had it, then you'd complain it didn't work as it should.

Lady Kaede

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
OK, so now all the pieces are in place, and I know what I want: the next hardware rev of the phone, and a 64G iPad 3G both running OS 4.x. Glad I didn't upgrade my 3G phone. It's looking like the greatest Christmas ever! By then the kinks should be out of the software, the prices may have dropped, and the duo will more than serve for several years to come. I didn't expect multitasking (and we will be waiting for some time to see the *real* impact on battery life) but I have some confidence they did it right. Heck, I like my 3G phone and think the current iPad 3.2 is pretty cool. Save my pennies, stay on Santa's nice list, and by 12/25 there will be an insanely rich ecosystem I can be in.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The 3G would definately choke if it tried to do multitasking. My phone sometimes seems unbarably slow and when I go into processes there's only like Mail, Phone, iPod. So then imagine if I had other apps in the background or frozen. Anyway my iPad will keep me content until 4th gen drops and I can get a used 3Gs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR