What do you think of the iPhone OS 4.0 software?

nemeda

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 3G doesn't get multi-tasking, iPhone (EDGE) gets nothing! Take a look at the iPhone OS 4 Compatibility section on Apple's site.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I was really hoping for a rework of notifications, but I suppose that's not something they really have to announce at a developer conference as it's just a UI change and not necessary for API calls to change ( if they do it properly ).

Lockscreen info is one of the reasons I jailbreak, and something like this WOULD require new APIs and to tell the developers about. :( Oh well, guess my reasons to jailbreak is less but still is that 1 thing I really would miss.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Multi-tasking I really don't see what the big hoopla is all about although a bit annoying I do fine with my single tasking. However ofcourse if I have it I'll use it :D like the coming back to the app just how you left it part though.

Universal mailbox sounds cool but not a big deal to me I kinda like my mailboxes seperated. It would be easier to see both so I'm 50/50 on that one.

I love the App folders the most I will definately get the most out of that feature.

Well it seems Apple knows how to get my money LOL I'm still waiting on my iPad here in Canada and after that I will either wait for the 4th gen iPhone to drop and get an older 3Gs once the prices go down so I can get 4.0 and still JB.

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm with you on this one.....It's BS.....:mad:

BS? Really? So you think Apple should hinder forward progress just so your 2 year old phone won't be outdated? If you're upset about technology moving at too fast of a pace, then you have a long road of disappointments ahead. ;)

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
BS? Really? So you think Apple should hinder forward progress just so your 2 year old phone won't be outdated? If you're upset about technology moving at too fast of a pace, then you have a long road of disappointments ahead. ;)

Amen! Seriously, if you people dislike the direction Apple is moving in, GET A DIFFERENT PHONE! But I suppose whining is easier than shopping for another phone.

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
Great update. Not because of multitasking or iAd or anything that apple said today. But finally they are releasing the phone. It has been locked down for 3 years and they are releasing it to the devs. With this level of access notification systems themes and a variety of customization options are now within reach.

For instance, it is nutty that the calendar was a private API. A tasks app can't access it and put entries in it. It requires you to exit the app and enter the info by either typing it in or pasting it in rather than just having root access to the calendar and have the app become part of the calendar. Sort of like how blackberry d oes it.

So if you are in you tasks app and want to. Make a calendar entry all you have to do is hit a button on the app that says entry to calendar and it will automatically send the info to the cal applet. This thing is gonna be great.

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site

Agree with you. Thos peopledont really understand the announcement. They basically open sourced the phone like android hAs done. Or as far as apple is willing to go with that

They just see uh... Multitasking that's it? Most of the cool stuff that has been done on e iPhone in the last 2 years has been from third party apps. But third party devs have had very limited access to the internals of the phone. Their finally beginning to open up. Want better notifications? Someone other than apple can now finally come up with something pretty stellar. Because they have the root access that they need.

zeagus

May 6, 2009
Visit site
To all the folks complaining about no multitasking on 3G, you know how Apple guards their "user experience" and you had to suspect they wouldn't allow it on a device with half the RAM of the current model, right? You are all eligible for upgrade if you have a 2G and a large percentage of 3G owners, too. If you want the new goods, go grab the new hot hardware in June and makes us 3GS users jealous! I think this was a fantastic update, only lacking the notification management I wanted. Many little things like proper calendar handling and universal inbox in addition to some nice biggies like multitasking/global save states. Well done!

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Blown away for sure. those were only 7 tent poles remember that. 1500 new API's! cmon downers, you don't even know what you'll be getting. 100 new features that we don't know about yet. Plus anything else they'll announce at the release keynote. This was just a preview you fake iPhone owners. And as far as the 3G complainers, get a refurbished 3gs for $150 or wait for the new iPhone and watch the 3gs go even more down in price if it's money you're worried about.

zeagus

May 6, 2009
Visit site
One assumes because of the limited resources for engineering at Apple -- look at it this way, they managed to write/grant access to 1500 APIs create the 7 tentpole features and 100+ user facing features while creating the iPad, OS3.2, the next iPhone, the next iPod Touch, OSX 10.7, the next round of Macs/MacBooks and probably a lot of other things we don't know about. I thought 4.0 was an impressive achievement considering all the other things they are doing.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
they did...

local notifications...

as for "notifications", this was a developer PREVIEW. that is to say that apple did NOT lay out ALL the cards, they just previewed them.

engelke2010

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
I just got my 3G a couple of weeks ago, so I do have a couple of weeks to exchange it for a 3GS. Did I miss something or did they not announce when the 4G (or whatever it's gonna be called) would be released? If there was a date, or even a month, I wouldn't exchange now and just upgrade when I can on July 2nd. Of course, if I did exchange, I still can upgrade on July 2nd.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I just got my 3G a couple of weeks ago, so I do have a couple of weeks to exchange it for a 3GS. Did I miss something or did they not announce when the 4G (or whatever it's gonna be called) would be released? If there was a date, or even a month, I wouldn't exchange now and just upgrade when I can on July 2nd. Of course, if I did exchange, I still can upgrade on July 2nd.

Apple won't announce the next iPhone until WWDC in June and it will likely be released in June or July. The chances of their NOT being a new iPhone is extremely slim. I would return the 3Gs and wait for the new iPhone.

engelke2010

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Apple won't announce the next iPhone until WWDC in June and it will likely be released in June or July. The chances of their NOT being a new iPhone is extremely slim. I would return the 3Gs and wait for the new iPhone.

Thanks! I will hold onto my 3G for now and wait until this summer. I'm still very green to the iPhone so I appreciate the help.