A+ upgrade = A+ battery life?

For better or for worse?

• Battery life will be significantly worse w/ the hardware upgrades

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Honestly, one hour of 3G talk is a lot. One hour of 2G talk isn't.

So if I get 2 hours more 3G talk time, that's significant for me.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Exactly my point

That's kind of impossible. You people are asking for Apple to make the future happen now. The iPhone is better than most smartphones when measured by 3G talk time! What do you want?

Some people are impossible to please. It's impossible for Apple to make such a huge improvement with the progression of technology. Maybe you guys can get a special extended battery that makes your iPhone the side of an iPad, and then you'll be happy.

Tips for saving battery: put it down for five ****ing seconds. When you use it constantly, obviously the battery will drain, just like ANY other phone!

Duvi

Exactly. You seem the be one of the only people who understands me sometimes.

3G talk time is a good way to measure battery capacity because it's basically the quickest way to drain your battery. Are you guys really going to talk for 9 hours on 3G in one charge? I'd hate to see your phone bill, and your ears must be swollen... P.S. I'll send you a card in the hospital when you get brain cancer in 2 years. O_O

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
My phone bill is the same as everyone else who uses unlimited on verizon or AT&T. Also, since when is Apple ever right about battery time? Maybe an iPod, but not a laptop or phone.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
My phone bill is the same as everyone else who uses unlimited on verizon or AT&T. Also, since when is Apple ever right about battery time? Maybe an iPod, but not a laptop or phone.

Uh, actually Apple's spot-on with their 3G estimates. Not to mention their Laptop estimates have been surprisingly accurate (and their MacBook batteries are the best in the biz at that size), not to mention they estimated 10 hours for the iPad and many people are getting 11 or 12 hours.

Not to mention not to mention not to mention. :)

Last edited:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I'd like to make it clear that I'm not unhappy with the talk time and I don't ( ooops, mean DO) think it will improve. What I'm saying is the word "significantly" would mean a big change. Like the change from going to nicad battery to NiMH to Lithium ion.

Once we go to "whatever's next" this will be the significant, game changing battery life. Imagine how much different you could use your phone if it could be hammered for 20 hours non stop before it died.

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to make it clear that I'm not unhappy with the talk time and I don't think it will improve. What I'm saying is the word "significantly" would mean a big change. Like the change from going to nicad battery to NiMH to Lithium ion.

Once we go to "whatever's next" this will be the significant, game changing battery life. Imagine how much different you could use your phone if it could be hammer for 20 hours non stop before it died.

I understand your POV a little better now, but I think a 2 hour increase in 3G talk time would be really significant. You have to put significant in the realm of possibility.

I'm predicting this battery will give an extra 2 hours of 3G talk time. I think the battery is going to be "siginificantly" improved just like I feel it was last year.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I'm predicting this battery will give an extra 2 hours of 3G talk time. I think the battery is going to be "siginificantly" improved just like I feel it was last year.
Last year they didn't improve the 3G talk time at all, so if they were able to add 2 hours this time it would be nice.

But if they have that LED flash and camera with a bigger lens (maybe real optical zoom) there will be other demands.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to make it clear that I'm not unhappy with the talk time and I don't think it will improve. What I'm saying is the word "significantly" would mean a big change. Like the change from going to nicad battery to NiMH to Lithium ion.

Once we go to "whatever's next" this will be the significant, game changing battery life. Imagine how much different you could use your phone if it could be hammer for 20 hours non stop before it died.

You make a really great point. I think that in order for a device like the iPhone to achieve what you are talking about there will need to be a big advancement in the types of batteries that are used in mobile products. The iPhone just does so much that it is hard for me to see if being able to last more the say 10hrs of heavy use.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Apple currently lists the 3G talk time being up to 5 hours. That's roughly the same as the Pre, Droid, Nexus One or comparable smartphone. If Apple somehow squeezes out 3 more hours, then I'll be impressed. Probable, but not likely. Any other battery improvement as far and music and video isn't important to me.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Maybe my wording could have been more direct... With the current battery tech that is available, improvement in 3G talk time is significant to me.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Last year they didn't improve the 3G talk time at all, so if they were able to add 2 hours this time it would be nice.

But if they have that LED flash and camera with a bigger lens (maybe real optical zoom) there will be other demands.

Last year they didn't make the battery 16% larger.

A fixed camera lens can't possibly have optical zoom, can it?

That would only be when using the camera, which has always been detrimental to battery use, but you don't spend all your time in the camera app anyway so it doesn't matter. It's not like it's something you can't control, and a higher resolution camera isn't going to affect running it in apps or anything... Flash will barely affect battery at all.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
That's kind of impossible. You people are asking for Apple to make the future happen now. The iPhone is better than most smartphones when measured by 3G talk time! What do you want?

Some people are impossible to please. It's impossible for Apple to make such a huge improvement with the progression of technology. Maybe you guys can get a special extended battery that makes your iPhone the side of an iPad, and then you'll be happy.

Tips for saving battery: put it down for five ****ing seconds. When you use it constantly, obviously the battery will drain, just like ANY other phone!

Duvi

Exactly. You seem the be one of the only people who understands me sometimes.

3G talk time is a good way to measure battery capacity because it's basically the quickest way to drain your battery. Are you guys really going to talk for 9 hours on 3G in one charge? I'd hate to see your phone bill, and your ears must be swollen... P.S. I'll send you a card in the hospital when you get brain cancer in 2 years. O_O

Why would I want to do that? :p

Seriously, I do expect to see a minor improvement overall.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Depends on the person and their point of view, but from mine, I was correct in saying A+ (significantly better) battery life.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm always glad to hear about a stronger battery. As Jellotime said, I think I drain fast because the damn thing is in use almost all of the time. That said, with my current phone I am never far from a charging source. Will be nice not to think about that as much with the new phone.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Depends on the person and their point of view, but from mine, I was correct in saying A+ (significantly better) battery life.

Yep same... 7 hours of 3G talk is amazing. 10 hours of browsing and video!? That's the iPad's rated battery life, which as we all know actually exceeded 10 hours. 40 hours of audio!? Battery life is something I never thought would be revolutionary on an iPhone. Today, it is.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Agreed. Heck, 7 hours of talk time is good, but 3G talk time, that is awesome for an all-touch device with that much screen realty.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I wonder why they stopped at a 40% improvement?

If they had not made the phone thinner, they could have increased the size of the battery even more. A 50 or 60% improvement would definitely silence the critics.
I'm not complaining, btw. Just wondering why they made it thinner.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
If they had not made the phone thinner, they could have increased the size of the battery even more. A 50 or 60% improvement would definitely silence the critics.
I'm not complaining, btw. Just wondering why they made it thinner.

Because size matters. In this case (cellphones), more
people want it to be thinner rather than wider ;).

Between battery and size, more people are choosing
size for their reasons not to get the EVO on Sprint.

You also have to take in account everything the phone
can do now and how Apple still managed to increase
the battery life. The display, the new features (HD
video recording), etc..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods