Is the S really worth it?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I am going to add to the overwhelming response of...yes! The 3gs is definitely worth it! Much faster more memory, voice control, better speaker, compass, video, better camera and more!

Jindofox

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Totally worth it. The speed is great, but for me, the video camera and larger storage has been the best -- my wife and I rationalized our upgrade by telling ourselves our toddler won't be small forever. It's great having a camcorder in your pocket.

The extra RAM on the 3gs makes apps more stable. Big games like Gangstar would take forever to load and would often crash out on the 3g. Not so with the 3gs.

The magnetometer and autofocus camera is neat but the main things you'll feel are the extra speed and system memory.

Orangensaft

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Upgrade to 3GS well worth it, but not anymore

The 3GS is definitely a worthwhile upgrade if you are a heavy and frequent user of your iPhone. As mentioned multiple times on the TiPb podcast once you get used to the 3GS there is absolutely no going back to the comparatively molasses-speed 3G.

However at this point with the iPhone fourth generation widely expected to be released this summer, the upgrade is not as readily justifiable.

gurustevie

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I would say it's definitely worth it, however if anyone is making a decision now, I'd be quite tempted to wait until the new one is out this summer.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I would say it's definitely worth it, however if anyone is making a decision now, I'd be quite tempted to wait until the new one is out this summer.

This. My girlfriend is talking about getting an iPhone, but I've told her Apple's history of releasing a device in June and she can wait a few more months to find out what happens.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
This. My girlfriend is talking about getting an iPhone, but I've told her Apple's history of releasing a device in June and she can wait a few more months to find out what happens.

I agree. As it is, I did get the 3GS when it came out and am hoping that won't make me ineligible for the hoped-for june/July release of a new phone. I wouldn't make a move to 3GS at this point with summer being so close.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
I agree with everyone who has said to wait.

If she is someone who can't wait, the 3GS is a significant upgrade over the 3G, especially if you're a power user. However, most of the improvements are "under-the-hood", so you can't see them, such as new native apps and new features.

To me, the difference is huge, and I did have the 3G model. It has a much faster processor, connects to the Internet faster, downloads apps a lot faster (AT&T service permitting), but the 3G model is no slouch either. How would you gauge your girlfriend's "need for speed"? Would you say that she is a "casual user"?

I do understand the whole "gotta have it now". Having said that, I got mine in mid-December, slightly more than three months ago, and if I were contemplating buying an iPhone today, I would wait. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods