Still No GPS

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
when i call 911 in the middle of nowhere, it works.

So you called 911 to test this? I'm calling BS, either you are making this all up or your 3GS is faulty. Either way you are not giving good info so that people can help you out. And if you did call 911 to test this then shame on you.

uhh3234

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
i bought the phone without a plan, so i had to jailbreak it so it would work. then i had to use push fix to make the wifi, and youtube work.

when i try and get a gps signal in airplane mode or in the woods it just searches for 20 mins and gives up.

when i call 911, i get straight through and can talk to them fine. i've done it in the middle of nowhere.

in the city when i used google maps once, it could follow where i was driving but i'm not sure if that was because every building in vancouver probably has wifi, or if the gps actually worked.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
so will it never like a true gps?

What are you talking about. If you have a cell signal then you your GPS should work. Once again the information that you are giving is not really helping. Did you mean to say "so it will never WORK like a true gps"? Not trying to flame you but I really don't understand what your issue is. If you get a signal on your phone then you should be able to use the GPS, if not then there is an issue either with the jailbreak or the iPhone itself.

uhh3234

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
i've never had a sim card in my phone and have never used it like a cellphone. i was told it would work like a gps device for hiking and such.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
i've never had a sim card in my phone and have never used it like a cellphone. i was told it would work like a gps device for hiking and such.

Okay that's it I'm done. You just answered your own question. FIY you should have done your homework before you bought a smartphone that you did not want to use as a phone, why didn't you just get an iPod Touch? Mods could you all close this thread? Thanx

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Your GPS does not need a cell tower to get a lock, it will lock quicker having A-GPS (assisted GPS) but your iPhone does not need a cell connection to work... Are you in the states? Is your phone unlocked? Did you buy your phone from Apple or an authorized dealer? (if not is is a real iPhone or a clone)

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site

uhh3234

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
thanks. i bought the phone from telus, in BC, Canada. it was a struggle because they did not want to sell it to me without a plan. someone stole my macbook, cellphone, camcorder and some other stuff, so i wanted to replace everything quick and for cheap.

right away i started to google and did blackrain jailbreak, push/wifi/gps fix, and started to make a winterboard theme and download apps. i tried a bunch of "fixes" but none worked for the GPS. i keep it in airplane mode, because i live in the woods and its usually just being an ipod for when i'm biking.

when i try and use "trails" app, it just searches for a while until it says "cannot aquire signal, please restart phone"

i just havn't been on the computer lately and was wondering if there was a fix for this gps stuff and also the need for a computer when restarting a jailbroken phone.

Last edited:

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
someone stole my macbook, cellphone, camcorder and some other stuff, so i wanted to replace everything quick and for cheap.

i keep it in airplane mode, because i live in the woods and its usually just being an ipod for when i'm biking.

So now you have a sim card? make up your mind

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2