Nexus One was a letdown? will an iPhone work for me?

Jerry-O

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I just returned my Nexus One and I am looking for a new phone once again. I currently have a BB curve that is 2 years old and in need of replacement. I loved the N1 and it did everything my BB cannot do, unfortunately it did not do the basic functions I need my BB for; reliable e-mail and phone calls. I had constant problems with the phone losing 3G or even EDGE signal. As a result my e-mails did not get delivered on time and phone calls would be spotty. Even when I had a good signal I would not always get my e-mails delivered without a manual refresh. The N1 would be great for a college student, but it is not a phone for the working professional.

BlackBerrys are nice, but have no style and are not fun. Wanting balance in my life I want a phone with bulletproof e-mail and call functionality that I can also use as my media player and even a game or two.

Is the iPhone reliable enough with e-mail and phone service to be considered a viable replacement for a blackberry, or do I need to stick with the BB and look for a second device like an iPod touch. (I hate the idea of having 2 devices.)

Also, how well does the iPhone support multiple calendar. I have my work exchange calendar, but I also want to have a personal calendar. Right now it is a google calendar but I am not married to that platform. As long as I can have 2 calendars I am happy.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If you want to read the long version of my N1 adventure it is here on your sister site:

Cant post a link yet so remove the xxx below

htxxxtp://forum.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-one/7604-goodbye-n1-good-read.html

derrythe

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I own a Palm Pre, so I do not have perfect knowledge of the iPhone, but the Pre has the ability to show multiple calenders side-by-side. Having a friend who owns an iPod Touch, I really like the layout and, given a wifi connection, his email seems to work fine. The Pre also handles e-mail very well and may even be a solid replacement for a BB.

Your best bet would be to go to a store and play with an iPhone, if that doesn't suit your needs the Pre is on Sprint, Verizon, and soon will be on AT&T. Give it a try, keep looking for yourself to find a fit, what works beautifully for someone else may not fit you at all.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
If you NEED blackberry features stick with a blackberry. Don't switch platforms and look for 1:1 feature parity. None of them match any other. Basically, look at what you do based on function and see if the iphone has what you need.

you can have your two calendars.

d.white

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I recently also switched from a BB Curve to the iPhone. Overall I love the iPhone and I'm very happy I made the switch.

However, in all fairness I do find the email administration capabilities of the iPhone to be inferior to the BB. So its all a matter of priorities. Here's how I would compare email on both platforms (YMMV):
  • Thus far, I've no issues with reliability of email delivery (about two weeks into owning an iPhone)
  • Other than MobileMe (and maybe GMail???), there is no "push" email on the iPhone like on the BB. The work-around is to set the iPhone to "pull" your email every 15 minutes. This is adequate for my needs, but its not true push-email.
  • If you have multiple email accounts, iPhone will not consolidate those into a single inbox. Navigation between the various accounts is slightly cumbersome. I really really wish they would offer a consolidated inbox.
  • There is no way to filter emails on your phone, either against spam or just simple filtering rules. For example, I subscribe to a variety of newsletters, Netflix delivery notices, and such. I really don't want to read those on the iPhone and they aren't urgent, but there's no way for me to prevent them from being delivered to the iPhone. The filter setup was somewhat cumbersome on the BB, but you could do it once and never have to worry about it again. I'd probably be able to cut my email traffic on the iPhone in half if it supported simple filtering.
  • There is no "little red light" to let you know you have email waiting on the iPhone (that's a hardware limitation). You can have the iPhone chirp when an email comes in, but I find that annoying. This isn't a really big deal to me, but it might be to you.
  • Emails are, I believe, much easier to read and navigate through on the iPhone. The iPhone also supports HTML email much more cleanly and fully than the BB Curve.

Others may have solutions or workarounds to the above issues that I'm not aware of (I'm still pretty new at this iPhone stuff). If so, I hope they share them. I also hope that the next version of the iPhone OS fixes some of these shortcomings.

All that said, in balance I am still thrilled with the iPhone and my decision to move over to that platform.

Good luck!!!

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I recently also switched from a BB Curve to the
[*]Other than MobileMe (and maybe GMail???), there is no "push" email on the iPhone like on the BB. The work-around is to set the iPhone to "pull" your email every 15 minutes. This is adequate for my needs, but its not true push-email.
Exchange Activesync is push.

They all push in the same way as a blackberry does. It's basically just a http connection.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I have multiple calendars on my iPhone, holidays ( from Google ), my facebook calendar, my google calendar and my girlfriend's google calendar.

Calling is more dependent on your area than on the phone, though the iPhone is notorious for dropping calls, but I think that's more AT&T in general than iPhone specific. I've had no problems with emails being delivered, they've always been quite quick even when on edge ( though I'm rarely off of 3G in my area ).

What carrier are you on now?

From reading your Goodbye N1 post:
- the iPhone does not have an indicator light, it has ring or vibrate.
- the iPhone will support exchange ( 1 account )

rekamds

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
htxxxtp://forum.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-one/7604-goodbye-n1-good-read.html

That was interesting..shame you couldn't get on with it. My wife has one and I think it's much better than I anticipated..although it still looks like a dog (as do all HTC handsets).

It will be interesting to see what they come up with next but it will never get me away from my iPhone(s) as I'm too much of an Applephile

Lady Kaede

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I would listen to d.white. All I can add is that I have never had any problems with email delays, and almost no call quality problems, even though I live in the notorious NYC area.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I've never had a dropped call and my wife who's had a 3G since it was released has never dropped a call. Yahoo does push email also just like Exchange Active Sync so there's another option. I've switched over a couple accounts to Yahoo now so just that and my Exchange for work are on my iPhone. No problems at all with my 3GS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73