Exchange and Iphone

n2w

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi all hope this is in the right place

I have some iphone 3gs

i have followed loads of tutorials to set them up with exchange but they will not work

Currently we have exchange 2003 which allowss our blackberrys to do push mail

all the required ports say the are open on our router

But the phones just say (cannot get mail the connection to the server failed)

when i join the wifi and put in the local IP address of the server it works fine but over the WEB or 3G it doesnt connect

If any one has any deas they will be much appricated

Thanks

Neil

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Exchange doesn't allow your blackberries to do push alone. You have BES for that. It's an in-between system.

so activesync works internally...

does OWA work externally?

n2w

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah OWA work if i go to a web page on my laptop or iphone

i am sure there is something really simple that i have missed

where it asks for the server in the iphone setup ived used mail.domainname.co.uk is that correct

the other thing is if i try and ping the domain name ip address it doesnt reply
i woundered if this mabye an issue

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
If you can get to your Exchange server via webmail, then Exchange on the iPhone should work.

Example: for us here, at work:

Domain field enter: webmail.domainname.com
Username enter: servername\usersname
Password enter: the respective password

Now, the important part, our Exchange does NOT support SSL. So, once you've configured the setup on the iPhone, it will say, 'FAILED'. Go back into the account you setup and turn SSL off. Once you do that, it should work. That's how I setup the users at the company I work for...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Another thing to consider is that OWA and Exchange are not the same thing. Just because you have OWA doesn't mean you have access to the Exchange server.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
If you can get to your Exchange server via webmail, then Exchange on the iPhone should work.

Example: for us here, at work:

Domain field enter: webmail.domainname.com
Username enter: servername\usersname
Password enter: the respective password

Now, the important part, our Exchange does NOT support SSL. So, once you've configured the setup on the iPhone, it will say, 'FAILED'. Go back into the account you setup and turn SSL off. Once you do that, it should work. That's how I setup the users at the company I work for...
This is not even accurate for your setup

where you write servername\username that's actually domain\username. it's the active directory domain prefix. the domain's name does not need to match the server's dns name

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah OWA work if i go to a web page on my laptop or iphone

i am sure there is something really simple that i have missed

where it asks for the server in the iphone setup ived used mail.domainname.co.uk is that correct

the other thing is if i try and ping the domain name ip address it doesnt reply
i woundered if this mabye an issue

to clarify, you went to OWA from OUTSIDE your corporate network AND WITHOUT a VPN connection on and it worked?

your servername entry needs to match how your dns is setup. we can't say if it's mail. for sure. check this on your end.

but assuming activesync works from inside the network then it's setup right there. if OWA works from outside the network the firewall is likely setup right.

I'd check your DNS name and username entry. did you enter your AD domain name the same as internal? if OWA is not mail. try the address you use to get there. you might even try entering the external IP you use for http traffic to the mail server and see if your dns entry is right

is OWA http or https? if the former, try turning off ssl like mentioned already

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
OWA - Outlook Web Access. Many companies set up web access so that employees can access their email from outside the company's network, although within the network they can access via Outlook.

Many people mistakenly believe that because they have OWA, they can access the exchange server on an email client, such as the iPhone or Outlook, from outside the private network.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
OWA - Outlook Web Access. Many companies set up web access so that employees can access their email from outside the company's network, although within the network they can access via Outlook.

Many people mistakenly believe that because they have OWA, they can access the exchange server on an email client, such as the iPhone or Outlook, from outside the private network.
I should have noted that saying OWA is different from Exchange is wrong. OWA is an access method for the Exchange Server. Just like Activesync is. You're implying that the exchange policies could block mobile device access but allow owa, which is fair.

On the firewall it's almost always the same setup. Thus in this thread's case if OWA works outside the network there's no reason activesync shouldn't, if both work inside the network.

For an interesting case with cell phones and Exchange look at the Sprint Instinct. It connects via OWA on their email client.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I use the app Print & Share for my work email because we lowly teachers are allowed OWA only outside the school's network, while admins and superintendents can access the exchange server directly through the mail client of their choice. Print & Share allows me to access my OWA email as though it were any other email account. (I love doing this in front of people from the tech department, leaving them scratching their heads and wondering how I got around their security.)

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi

should the server part be the same as for iphone

servername.co.uk /exchange

cheers

No.

that suffix, by default, is only for OWA. acivesync connects via, and you don't enter it this way, servername.co.uk/activesync

you just need to enter whatever the outside dns name of the mail server is, ???.servername.co.uk. no folder is needed afterward the dns name

the activesync setup automatically adds the appropriate virtual directory for you. some older devices used OMA, some use OWA, the iPhone uses activesync.

n2w

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
ok ive put

exchange.servername.co.uk

and now it appears to connect as it keeps popping up the password is incorrect for the email account setup even though im using the domain logon password
it will not accept the password

ive reset it on in the AD

any ideas

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73