Delicate issue..please help!

stillazoe

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Possible to tell time Iphone last hooked up?

This is a rather delicate issue, and I really need someone's help. The information will help clear a student of stealing proprietary sound files.

OK, so here's the story.

I lost my phone in another city. Miraculously, it was found by a 17 year old, and returned to me via one of my music students who lives in that city. (Yes, I AM counting my blessings).

Phone was fully charged when returned...seemed strange, since it hadn't been fully charged when I lost it. So I knew it must have been plugged in to a pc. Sure enough...all my music files were gone.

Knowing what time of the day this phone was hooked up to a laptop/pc, will tell me which of these two people downloaded (and removed) all my sound files (all backed up, so that's OK, but most were $100s of specialized music teaching files that my students really should NOT have). I wouldn't care if it was the 17year old "stranger," but if it was a student, it is really important that I know this.

Since my student would be very motivated to have the files...I suspected her at first, but am not willing to approach her unnecessarily on the topic unless I am sure. The 17 year old admitted to hooking it up (I called to "thank her for charging my phone") she said ITunes just came up....and then she didn't know what happened"

Questions:
1) Is there a way I can find out the time of the last hook up/file transfer?
2) Could hooking the phone up to a "stranger pc" inadvertently wipe out all the sound files? Or is it more likely that someone moved them....?
3) Unrelated - the sound on my phone number pad is gone...can't seem to retrieve it.

It is very important that I know whether this student has these sound files.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Questions:
1) Is there a way I can find out the time of the last hook up/file transfer?
2) Could hooking the phone up to a "stranger pc" inadvertently wipe out all the sound files? Or is it more likely that someone moved them....?
3) Unrelated - the sound on my phone number pad is gone...can't seem to retrieve it.

1) if it was fully charged when you got it you can go to Settings/Usage and it will say "Time since last full charge", but if you've hooked it up since then you're out of luck.

2) if they were music files that you sync through iTunes then you have no need to worry about anyone else having the files, you can't just copy them off the phone. Trying to sync it to another iTunes will remove the songs, which is likely what happened.

3) not sure about that, I've never see that happen before.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Were just your music files erased or was the whole phone wiped out? That would make zero sense if just the music files were gone. Like mentioned above if someone plugged in the phone and tried to sync it would force the device to restore erasing everything and then ask to be activated via iTunes.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
If they went to sync it and it had never been sync'd to that iTunes it wouldn't ask to restore it would it? If they turned off the sync'ing of everything except the music to try to get the music files off it, it would have left everything but blown out the music wouldn't it?

stillazoe

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Thank YOU Everyone

To the first replier...

DANG!!! I plugged it in out of habit last night. So that's that - I wiped the time of the previous charge.

All my apps, and everything else is intact. So, it looks like what must have happened is that the 17year old who found the phone plugged it into her ITunes and tried to copy the music files and it erased them.

I am happy with this explanation. I didn't know that the IPhone had this feature - that's actually really, cool.

I'm not a techie, but maybe the reason for the apps being intact is that the girl did not have an iphone herself, she had an IPod, so maybe her ITunes was not set up for apps...

Oh the sound on the phone pad came back...don't know how. I was fiddling with everything...

You guys are amazing! Thank you. I was trying to "rate" the replies...but I can't see any "scales.." Where in the heck are they?

M

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If they went to sync it and it had never been sync'd to that iTunes it wouldn't ask to restore it would it? If they turned off the sync'ing of everything except the music to try to get the music files off it, it would have left everything but blown out the music wouldn't it?

I've actually never tried it. I've connected friends phones to my computer to jailbreak and unlock them and it instantly realizes the phone has never been connected to my iTunes and wants to restore then warns everything will be erased. I'm not certain what happened here with the OP but it is highly unlikely the student tried to copy the music to her computer and iTunes deleted the music all together. Just don't buy that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73