Impact of multiple notifications on battery life

CharFeld

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
My battery life, which was never great to begin with, has gotten even worse lately, and that got me to wondering:

Is the drain that notifications has on battery life cumulative? ie, does each notification that you have turned on drain the battery a little bit more? Or is the battery drain only a factor of having notifications turned on or off, no matter how many separate applications you may have that utilize the notifications feature?

Thanks

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't really see a difference having more or less turned on. The biggest difference is from push email. The PNS system doesn't seem to drain that much.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Apple requires apps to connect with their servers which keeps a single notification connection open. one

the drain is a factor of more data being sent for each notification. there's a minimum threshhold for the heartbeat, however and a notification isn't much more than a couple seconds of time.

I bet you're just using it more

CharFeld

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
It's true, I do love my iPhone! My family would say I'm obsessed with it! But what I'm observing lately is that the battery level seems to be dropping faster than before even when I'm not using it.

For example, this morning I used my fully charge iphone for 2 hours, mainly listening to podcasts, reading ebook, and reading a couple of emails. Battery dropped to 70%. Not stellar, but I could accept that. But then, over the next 5.5 hours I used it for 20 minutes tops, to look up some numbers, and battery life dropped to 45%! That's crazy! I do not have push email or bluetooth turned on in order to save battery life. I do have on 3G, WiFi, & Push, and I keep brightness set at about 40-45%. I also have a decent # of 3rd party apps, but since they're not allowed to run in the background, they shouldn't be draining the battery, right?

Any advice?

Thanks