So about a week or two ago my custom ringtones began unassigning themselves from my contacts. I have about twenty or so I guess and I noticed one day when it rang that it was my default ringtone (also a custom made one) and not the custom one it should have been. I went to my address book and discovered all of my contacts were set to "default". I assumed something glitched during my last backup and began reassigning them but next thing I know all of a sudden my contacts go blank and then slowly show back up again like it's redownloading from the server. All of the ringtones I had just changed were all set back to default again. After trying this two more times I gave up and let it alone for a week. Today I set one and left it awhile to see what would happen. It kept the ringtone so I started to go through and set everyone again and about the fourth or fifth one into it the address book began redownloading again. Is there a setting that has somehow got changed? I googled a little and found some people with MobileMe who complained of this happening but I don't have MobileMe I just use the Exchange setup to sync my contacts. Help??
    02-16-2010 05:14 PM
    This very exact thing happened to me a few months ago. And on an un-jailbroken phone too. After googling and eventually posting to this forum about the problem, the only thing that worked was restoring as a new phone. Restoring from a backup did not work for me.

Turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Since I restored as a new phone, I decided it was a good time to jailbreak too.
    02-16-2010 06:14 PM
    I believe Exchange is the problem. It doesn't have a ringtone field to sync which causes a conflict in the contact data.
    02-16-2010 07:59 PM
    I believe Exchange is the problem. It doesn't have a ringtone field to sync which causes a conflict in the contact data.
    Exchange may be the problem, but I use Exchange and have 10-15 ringtones assigned to different people and so far no problems.
    02-16-2010 11:15 PM
    Okay so I don't know what I did...but maybe someone can interpret if I describe it? After posting this topic I plugged my phone into the comp, went under the settings and checked the box next to "sync with Google contacts". I synced and this created duplicates of everyone on my phone. I unchecked the box, resynced and all the duplicates disappeared thank goodness. I then went and set all my ringtones without incident and 24 hours later they are all still set correctly. Hmm...? It's like I know just enough about my phone to get myself in trouble and not enough to know what I'm really doing.
    02-17-2010 04:07 PM
    You'll learn more the long you have your phone. And you'll really learn some things simply by reading about other people's problems in this forum.

I had tried the exact same thing you tried but I didn't have any luck. Funny how we seemingly had the exact same problem but arrived at different solutions. Glad things worked out for you.
    02-17-2010 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD