iDisk functionality...is it worth it?

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Hey everyone! I have just a quick question, which will be the deciding factor for whether or not I invest in MobileMe whenever I can finally afford a new MacBook:

Is the iDisk the hard drive on your Mac, or is it stored as part of the 20 GB (currently the maximum, no?) in the MobileMe cloud?

If it is on your Mac, then that means the Mac has to be hooked up and connected to WiFi for it to work, kind of pointless for a MacBook user with an iPhone because if I have my laptop up and running, what do I need the iDisk app for?

And if it is in the cloud, how many types of files can I store there? And when will the max increase from 20 GB to many, many more GB?

I'm not too concerned about the Gmail vs. MobileME debate, because I'll probably keep my Gmail account if I get MobileMe; I'm just wondering if the iDisk functionality will be useful for me and worth the price of MobileMe.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
If I'm understanding the question, then the iDisk is part of the 20GB storage you get (it's in the cloud). I only have Windows machines, and the iDisk is just part of the online MobileMe services.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Hrmm, thanks applejosh, that is part of what I was asking! The other part is, what kinds of files can be stored there, and any rumors/speculation on when and by how much the storage amount will increase? At just 20 GB, that's less storage than my phone has, and not really enough to make me want to pay $99.00 a year. I'm wishful that the storage would be enough to back up my entire music collection, plus all of my other random files; not just photos and emails.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
That is correct. The iDisk is part of the 20G of MoMe. You can put any type of files up there. I have Pics, Word, Excel, PP, DWG, PDFs, Zip Files, etc. I need to remove my Pics though. I have started to store them somewhere else. I would like to have more room for my Work Files on MoMe. They are more important for my to access from my iPhone than Pics right now.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Well, you can buy more storage. For 40GB, add $49 to the standard MobileMe rates. For 60GB, add $99 (to the standard MobileMe rates).

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Hey everyone! I have just a quick question, which will be the deciding factor for whether or not I invest in MobileMe whenever I can finally afford a new MacBook:

Is the iDisk the hard drive on your Mac, or is it stored as part of the 20 GB (currently the maximum, no?) in the MobileMe cloud?

If it is on your Mac, then that means the Mac has to be hooked up and connected to WiFi for it to work, kind of pointless for a MacBook user with an iPhone because if I have my laptop up and running, what do I need the iDisk app for?

And if it is in the cloud, how many types of files can I store there? And when will the max increase from 20 GB to many, many more GB?

I'm not too concerned about the Gmail vs. MobileME debate, because I'll probably keep my Gmail account if I get MobileMe; I'm just wondering if the iDisk functionality will be useful for me and worth the price of MobileMe.
[You can get more than 20G at a price.]
You can get a sense of the utility and value of iDisk by using Dropbox. The first 2G is free. Except for audio and video, 2G is a lot of storage.

I have always had trouble keeping file sharing working on my home LAN. Therefore I was using Dropbox at home even before I had the iPhone client.

[One can store arbitrary file types in the cloud. There are limits to what file types one can open on the iPhone. Since the file system of the iPhone is hidden by the applications, one cannot, for instance, open a zip file on an iPhone.]

OmarXCS

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Do the trial... it's not for everyone.
Keep in mind if you have a Mac, your iWeb websites (by default) are stored there too.

Dropbox is excellent and strictly for backups is superior IMO.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
mobile me in general is a great service that i would be lost without. the idisk app as well as the ability to just have it in general is great. i also use dropbox, which is a whole different story almost, but that app is great as well. one thing to remember on the 20 gig storage is that this includes email. so you have to allocate what you want and where. i've got 5 allocated towards email and 15 allocated for everything else on idisk. i do most of the computer tech work for my department and because of that idisk and dropbox have been invaluable to me. i have thought about buying more space for online backups of my computer, but i havent done much with that just yet.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro