Buying new iPhone?

Will you purchase the next iPhone regardless of price and features?

• Yes

Votes: 54 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 39.3%

• Total voters

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Steve Jobs noted that there would be an "A+ update" to the iPhone that "Google won't be able to beat". Well, Google's Nexus One has a MUCH higher resolution and a simply GORGEOUS AMOLED display. So the 4th iPhone will have 480x320? I thought I read somewhere that OLED and AMOLED screens would actually be good for battery life!?

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
I voted yes. I'm still stuck with the 3G... and i got mine on release day... so its been a longgg two years. I cant remember the last time i had a phone this long. my 3G is also beginning to crap out on me. i can tell its slowing down and having more trouble then it used to have. the 3GS wasnt enough of an upgrade for me to justify the purchase. I hope this update is worth it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I can hardly wait. Of course, there must be features or functions that distinguish it as next generation. As to price, I pay in Apple dollars, those that I have earned as an Apple investor.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Actually, AT&T's been getting its %^&* together and addiing towers profusely. I'm pulling down 3-4Mbps, which is a huge upgrade for me. Not that I've had problems before. Speeds were half of what I used to get before HSPA 7.2.
Longer report to follow but I am in SF today. Yesterday was a disaster. I ran my battery down trying to do a simple task.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I said "No" because I'm tired of Apple not listening to the consumer until much later or never. If they don't at least up the screen resolution and make the the screen area larger, I will be getting another phone that works better with Google Voice.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I said "No" because I'm tired of Apple not listening to the consumer until much later or never. If they don't at least up the screen resolution and make the the screen area larger, I will be getting another phone that works better with Google Voice.
I can appreciate your frustration. On the other hand, I also appreciate that we are not typical of the consumer that Apple is getting their business from.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Actually, AT&T's been getting its %^&* together and addiing towers profusely. I'm pulling down 3-4Mbps, which is a huge upgrade for me. Not that I've had problems before. Speeds were half of what I used to get before HSPA .......

Still far too spotty. EDGE at LAX. Nominally 3G in San Francisco but....

The "steaming pile of failure" still stinks in San Francisco.

Some of you may recall that last March I reported that AT&T service in San Francisco was terrible. I had heard one or two reports that suggested that things might have gotten better. They haven't.

On Monday, I was hoping to be able to give a different report. Things seemed to Be a little better. But they went steadily downhill. How about trying twelve times to get a connection to the app store. It would start to paint the screen and then report connection failed. Loading one page took so long that the battery dropped by two percentage points while it loaded.

Measuring the data rate was impossible. DSL Reports simply would not work.

Now, in fairness to AT&T, I was in San Francisco for the annual RSA Conference. There were 16000 IT professionals, not to say, geeks, in downtown San Francisco. Surely there were some AT&T customers among them. I was mostly in an area bounded by Union Square and the Moscone Center. Ir is possible that in other parts of the city, service was better. However, in that part of the city where visitors were likely to be, service was less than nominal. Similarly, service during other times of the year, may be stellar. Perhaps a few thousand extra users can bring a cell to its knees.

As I said I would, I took my Verizon MiFi card. (I was not the only one; the iPhone saw a lot of them.) Needless to say, on Verizon connecting to the app store was instantaneous and pages loaded in a second or two.

It is difficult to accept that this condition persists after a year in one of the biggest markets in the country while AT&T brags that it is bringing 3G to the cows of Vermont.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Lucky to be in LA then. (...)

Nahhh...You live in the greatest city in the world. Don't let AT&T and your iPhone experience distract you from realizing and enjoying that fact. ;)

Still far too spotty. EDGE at LAX. Nominally 3G in San Francisco but....

The "steaming pile of failure" still stinks in San Francisco.

Some of you may recall that last March I reported that AT&T service in San Francisco was terrible. I had heard one or two reports that suggested that things might have gotten better. They haven't. (...)

I'm sorry to hear that. (both of you)...are you saying that it is still getting worse, or is it by and large just...well...really bad?

In my 12 years as an AT&T (Cingular/Pacific Bell Wireless) customer, I have lived in various locations in upper Manhattan, NYC (north of 86th, both UES and UWS for those familar) for 1 year, South Miami, FL (6 months), a grueling 5 months in Las Vegas, and one year in beautiful San Diego. The rest of the time in (and around) L.A.

Except for the Hollywood Hills, I can't say that I've had any serious problems with my various and vastly different devices. Finally arriving on the iPhone platform, an HSPA 7.2 phone, I'm sometimes taken aback by the tethering speeds I get. EDGE at LAX? Yes, I've seen that, too, although once you're past the complimentary rubdown and the rest of security, I found that 3G was available in the gates sections of each terminal that I've ever flown in and out of.

I must say that you guys are way more patient that I think I could ever be with poor service, such as you're describing.

I also very much agree that another "3GS-type" update would disappoint me as well. Better camera, with flash and front-facing maybe, along with 802.11n WiFi support would not impress. Customizations I can do with the seemingly endless supply of themes, wallpaper, SBSettings (now this one is awesome!) from Cydia and Rock. The jailbreak and unlock also enabled me to "uncloak" the iPhone native tethering app, which I find extremely useful. I've also never typed faster and don't see myself returning to a traditional keyboard, and Google Voice and SMS is stunning.

I don't think I've earned the right to complain too much, as I'm still a newbie next to most of you, and I've only been on the iPhone platform for a mere 3 months. I will be getting the iPad, purely on a "why not" basis. lol...I've found the resale value of the iPhone to be quite remarkable seeing that I rejected 2 previous iPhone's (one 3G, one 3GS prior to OS 3.1).

I would still love to see a higher-res screen, but if it will adversely affect battery life in any significant way, or if it means any kind of radical incompatibility with the existing apps, I agree that Steve Jobs, the ultimate perfectionist, and, I suspect, too much of an idealist, will not give us few geeks what we want if most of the other 40 million iPhone users could probably care less, if they even notice. I will remain hopeful, though. And who are we kidding really? We all know that if anyone is going to trade up, even if there are no earth-shattering improvements, it is again us geeks who will likely need less convincing than anyone else to get the extra one or two bragging rights. ;)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
If anything if u must have such a overrated iphone wait til the new one come out...Also stay on edge using 3g(even in a good green 3g area @least that's what the at&t coverage map tells me) you will never get ur picture mail(even after telling them to re-send 10 damn times).But I will keep my phone for the next few months (til I am a year into my contract) than jump ship.I want to believe its just a at&t issue but people say its the IPhone having some cheap arse chip in the phone.
Had to go back and edit this.I thought this was a thread about somebody thinking about buying the new IPhone...
Hell's no I will not esp if it does not trounce what i have seen in the nexus one (and now nexus one ish all over the current iphone anybody think otherwise is a loon & need to get off of Apple's "PIECE"):cool:

Last edited:

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Uh huh...I think you mean blue coverage for 3G. The Nexus One is having connectivity issues on T-Mobile's network, by the way, but I read they're fixing it. Granted, the iPhone is not the strongest piece of mobile hardware when it comes to RF, but as far as I'm concerned, it certainly has a good enough radio in it. And that little chip becomes a beast because it supports HSPA 7.2, which means double that of its predecessor. Dallas, for example, was on that list of "the first six HSPA 7.2 cities" (so was L.A., btw), and when I ran a poll on a different forum as to the connection speeds, people from Dallas consistently got 4-5Mbps, with one user reporting 5.1Mbps. That's pretty impressive. I don't get those kinds of speeds just yet.

You don't have to live in any of the initial 6 markets that were announced to be able to get upwards of 3, 4, and even upwards of 5Mbps, albeit I only know of one single person. lol...Maybe he ran 100 speed tests until he hit 5.1Mbps, and in the process slowed down the network for the other fine folks from the DFW metro area.

Hopefully the frequency of everyone getting higher bandwidth connections will increase, as time goes on, backhaul installations permitting.

What do you guys do when the bill comes in? Do you call customer service and request a credit? I would encourage you to do so, as they will give it to you, if you have the powers of persuasion. ;)

websyndicate

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I am just use to the product cycles. Its like asking me like if I will get a new iPod every year I wont until I need a new one. I wont get a new iphone until I need a new one in and i need a new one already so I will be getting a 3gs since my home button quit working. its such a pain in the ass I just need a new phone

rekamds

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely. I've only just this week moved from my original iPhone to a brand spanking new 3GS but will definitely buy a next gen phone later on in the year when (assuming it's released in July) Apple have had a couple of months to iron out any bugs.

I paid ?450 for the 3GS handset from O2 so hopefully I will recoup a fair amount of that later on in the year on ebay although I suspect there may be a bit of a glut of 3G's and 3GS's on ebay then.

"Hello!!" btw

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Hello, friend. :)

What kind of download speeds do you get on O2 over there, or any other carrier you might know about?

rekamds

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello, friend. :)

What kind of download speeds do you get on O2 over there, or any other carrier you might know about?

Generally (and I've only checked it a few times and each time has been from the mast that covers my home) it seems to be between 1200-1500 kbps.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I am just use to the product cycles. Its like asking me like if I will get a new iPod every year I wont until I need a new one. I wont get a new iphone until I need a new one in and i need a new one already so I will be getting a 3gs since my home button quit working. its such a pain in the ass I just need a new phone

Apple did fix my home button under warranty. One must make an appointment with the Genius Bar.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Cool! Good for you. How long had you owned your iPhone? Warranty is for a year, right? Like every other PDA/cellphone.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Cool! Good for you. How long had you owned your iPhone? Warranty is for a year, right? Like every other PDA/cellphone.
I am on my third iPhone. They have always been in warranty while I have had them; then I gave them away. The first one died an ugly death at the hands of my great nephew.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
But I will keep my phone for the next few months (til I am a year into my contract) than jump ship.

1zbe5av.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods