View Poll Results: Will you purchase the next iPhone regardless of price and features?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

54 60.67%
  • No

35 39.33%
    Regardless of price and features? No. I'd have to study the specs. I find the 3Gs to be plenty fast for me and if I can get most of the new features via the software, I'm good. I am curious about a possible better camera...
    02-16-2010 05:00 PM
    No.

For me, the 3GS is fine as is and after living with it for a year, cell phone service > hardware. I would rather buy a 3GS on Verizon than a feature rich next gen iPhone on AT&T. Give me the ability to surf the web at home instead of a improved display. Give me the ability to make calls indoors instead of multitasking. I just want the basics- namely good reception and a solid connection.
    02-16-2010 05:18 PM
    Not planning on it until a jailbreak is announced.
    Ditto!

And if Apple doesn't pull the stops out, I'll be forced to stick with my 3G for another year.
    02-16-2010 06:07 PM
    Absolutely Yes.

The 3GS is essentially the 3G improved. The 4th generation iphone has to be a big update. It can't just be an "improved 3GS". It's been over 1/2 year since the 3GS has been out, and other recent phones have essentially caught up. The 4th generation iphone will have to be a big jump from the current 3GS to put Apple back above the rest.

Apple doesn't play "catch-up", they innovate and make others do the catching up. I have no doubt the upcoming iphone will be amazing.
    02-16-2010 06:29 PM
    With me it depends on how many new features there are, If its like the 3G to 3Gs I don't plan to.
    02-16-2010 06:43 PM
    I probably will...since I have the 3G. I hear the 3GS is really fast compared to my 3G.
    02-16-2010 08:22 PM
    Apple doesn't play "catch-up", they innovate and make others do the catching up. I have no doubt the upcoming iphone will be amazing.
    Yes, Apple innovates. I too expect the next iPhone to be awesome, but I'm not expecting much from AT&T- another year of inconsistent and unreliable service, which brings down the iPhone. And this is where Apple will get it wrong- by continuing to have AT&T as the exclusive provider of the iPhone.
    02-16-2010 11:08 PM
    i have to say no cause i am still with verizon until april 2011 so then it will b old and i will just wait for the lastest and greatest in 2011
    02-17-2010 06:34 PM
    As long as it reinvents the iPhone image and makes me go........when I see it. Raise the bar Apple...HD, Flash, new UI....wheres the beef?
    02-17-2010 06:48 PM
    I just know its going to be awesome, front facing camera, shooting hd video, double the ram, faster processor, so of course! Hopefully the 3gs will still be going for a pretty penny on ebay.
    02-19-2010 02:02 PM
    Probably not...getting a little too expensive for me.
    02-21-2010 11:47 AM
    I will get one and give my gyrl mine (32g) and sell hers(16g) then get the top of the line one unless it is not i would like it to be
    02-21-2010 04:21 PM
    Actually, AT&T's been getting its %^&* together and addiing towers profusely. I'm pulling down 3-4Mbps, which is a huge upgrade for me. Not that I've had problems before. Speeds were half of what I used to get before HSPA 7.2.

HSPA 7.2, which the 3GS has, but not the 3G, is just one of many major (IMHO) improvements to the iPhone, albeit most are under the hood. 3G has 128MB of RAM, 3GS has double at 256MB. CPU is a 600MHz (although capable of 833MHz when it needs to be), and those additions make multitasking a breeze with jailbreak. Responding to a text while downloading an app and getting the best route to a new restaurant in town with AT&T Navigator works flawlessly.

Now give us WVGA resolution (or higher) on a Super AMOLED screen, and I'll be getting the 4th gen. iPhone on day 1.
    02-23-2010 05:51 AM
    Now give us WVGA resolution (or higher) on a Super AMOLED screen, and I'll be getting the 4th gen. iPhone on day 1.
    I've been yearning for a higher resolution screen since at least 2009 (maybe 2008). After all, my 2003 Toshiba e800 had a VGA screen, why not the 2010 iPhone? But the iPad announcement has killed my hopes for a higher resolution iPhone screen this year. If they're only going 1024 x 768 on a 9.7" screen (with a lower pixel density than the current iPhone), what chance is there that they'll increase the iPhone's pixel density? Esp. considering the havoc that will wreak among developers- i.e. making old & new apps work on both old & new iPhones AND on the iPad. Sure, apps will be reworking themselves for the iPad, but that's a larger screen size (i.e. fit more info and controls on the screen), NOT a higher pixel density (fit about the same amount of info and controls on the screen but each one contains more detail). Anyway, I just don't see it happening (although I would love to be proved wrong with a 720x480 iPhone screen) esp. with the negative effect that higher screen resolution would have on the iPhone's performance and battery life.
    02-23-2010 06:29 AM
    Actually, AT&T's been getting its %^&* together and addiing towers profusely. I'm pulling down 3-4Mbps, which is a huge upgrade for me. Not that I've had problems before. Speeds were half of what I used to get before HSPA 7.2.

HSPA 7.2, which the 3GS has, but not the 3G, is just one of many major (IMHO) improvements to the iPhone, albeit most are under the hood. 3G has 128MB of RAM, 3GS has double at 256MB. CPU is a 600MHz (although capable of 833MHz when it needs to be), and those additions make multitasking a breeze with jailbreak. Responding to a text while downloading an app and getting the best route to a new restaurant in town with AT&T Navigator works flawlessly.

Lucky to be in LA then. My apt near NYC, the service is so bad, it makes you forget about the smart in smartphone and want to go back to one of these on Verizon:

And at work, the coverage is spotty as well. Sometimes I get calls from the boss, sometimes I **** him off because he calls 7 times and it doesn't get through to me.

I see another evolution of the 3GS vs. a revolution for the next iPhone. The screen will improve. No multitasking, no flash. Better battery life & power. Better camera. No significant change in OS 4.0, better customization. A new design. Improvements on existing apps. I don't see a front facing camera happening anytime soon either. The iPad OS is a preview of what we can see on the iPhone OS.
    02-23-2010 10:04 AM
    i prefer nokia smarphones, but use for games ipod touch
    02-23-2010 01:54 PM
    Steve Jobs noted that there would be an "A+ update" to the iPhone that "Google won't be able to beat". Well, Google's Nexus One has a MUCH higher resolution and a simply GORGEOUS AMOLED display. So the 4th iPhone will have 480x320? I thought I read somewhere that OLED and AMOLED screens would actually be good for battery life!?
    03-04-2010 09:31 AM
    I voted yes. I'm still stuck with the 3G... and i got mine on release day... so its been a longgg two years. I cant remember the last time i had a phone this long. my 3G is also beginning to crap out on me. i can tell its slowing down and having more trouble then it used to have. the 3GS wasnt enough of an upgrade for me to justify the purchase. I hope this update is worth it.
    03-04-2010 10:08 AM
    I can hardly wait. Of course, there must be features or functions that distinguish it as next generation. As to price, I pay in Apple dollars, those that I have earned as an Apple investor.
    03-04-2010 11:01 AM
    Longer report to follow but I am in SF today. Yesterday was a disaster. I ran my battery down trying to do a simple task.
    03-04-2010 11:06 AM
    I said "No" because I'm tired of Apple not listening to the consumer until much later or never. If they don't at least up the screen resolution and make the the screen area larger, I will be getting another phone that works better with Google Voice.
    03-04-2010 01:39 PM
    I said "No" because I'm tired of Apple not listening to the consumer until much later or never. If they don't at least up the screen resolution and make the the screen area larger, I will be getting another phone that works better with Google Voice.
    I can appreciate your frustration. On the other hand, I also appreciate that we are not typical of the consumer that Apple is getting their business from.
    03-05-2010 11:31 AM
    Actually, AT&T's been getting its %^&* together and addiing towers profusely. I'm pulling down 3-4Mbps, which is a huge upgrade for me. Not that I've had problems before. Speeds were half of what I used to get before HSPA .......
    Still far too spotty. EDGE at LAX. Nominally 3G in San Francisco but....

The "steaming pile of failure" still stinks in San Francisco.

Some of you may recall that last March I reported that AT&T service in San Francisco was terrible. I had heard one or two reports that suggested that things might have gotten better. They haven't.

On Monday, I was hoping to be able to give a different report. Things seemed to Be a little better. But they went steadily downhill. How about trying twelve times to get a connection to the app store. It would start to paint the screen and then report connection failed. Loading one page took so long that the battery dropped by two percentage points while it loaded.

Measuring the data rate was impossible. DSL Reports simply would not work.

Now, in fairness to AT&T, I was in San Francisco for the annual RSA Conference. There were 16000 IT professionals, not to say, geeks, in downtown San Francisco. Surely there were some AT&T customers among them. I was mostly in an area bounded by Union Square and the Moscone Center. Ir is possible that in other parts of the city, service was better. However, in that part of the city where visitors were likely to be, service was less than nominal. Similarly, service during other times of the year, may be stellar. Perhaps a few thousand extra users can bring a cell to its knees.

As I said I would, I took my Verizon MiFi card. (I was not the only one; the iPhone saw a lot of them.) Needless to say, on Verizon connecting to the app store was instantaneous and pages loaded in a second or two.

It is difficult to accept that this condition persists after a year in one of the biggest markets in the country while AT&T brags that it is bringing 3G to the cows of Vermont.
    03-05-2010 02:46 PM
    Lucky to be in LA then. (...)
    Nahhh...You live in the greatest city in the world. Don't let AT&T and your iPhone experience distract you from realizing and enjoying that fact.

Still far too spotty. EDGE at LAX. Nominally 3G in San Francisco but....

The "steaming pile of failure" still stinks in San Francisco.

Some of you may recall that last March I reported that AT&T service in San Francisco was terrible. I had heard one or two reports that suggested that things might have gotten better. They haven't. (...)
    I'm sorry to hear that. (both of you)...are you saying that it is still getting worse, or is it by and large just...well...really bad?

In my 12 years as an AT&T (Cingular/Pacific Bell Wireless) customer, I have lived in various locations in upper Manhattan, NYC (north of 86th, both UES and UWS for those familar) for 1 year, South Miami, FL (6 months), a grueling 5 months in Las Vegas, and one year in beautiful San Diego. The rest of the time in (and around) L.A.

Except for the Hollywood Hills, I can't say that I've had any serious problems with my various and vastly different devices. Finally arriving on the iPhone platform, an HSPA 7.2 phone, I'm sometimes taken aback by the tethering speeds I get. EDGE at LAX? Yes, I've seen that, too, although once you're past the complimentary rubdown and the rest of security, I found that 3G was available in the gates sections of each terminal that I've ever flown in and out of.

I must say that you guys are way more patient that I think I could ever be with poor service, such as you're describing.

I also very much agree that another "3GS-type" update would disappoint me as well. Better camera, with flash and front-facing maybe, along with 802.11n WiFi support would not impress. Customizations I can do with the seemingly endless supply of themes, wallpaper, SBSettings (now this one is awesome!) from Cydia and Rock. The jailbreak and unlock also enabled me to "uncloak" the iPhone native tethering app, which I find extremely useful. I've also never typed faster and don't see myself returning to a traditional keyboard, and Google Voice and SMS is stunning.

I don't think I've earned the right to complain too much, as I'm still a newbie next to most of you, and I've only been on the iPhone platform for a mere 3 months. I will be getting the iPad, purely on a "why not" basis. lol...I've found the resale value of the iPhone to be quite remarkable seeing that I rejected 2 previous iPhone's (one 3G, one 3GS prior to OS 3.1).

I would still love to see a higher-res screen, but if it will adversely affect battery life in any significant way, or if it means any kind of radical incompatibility with the existing apps, I agree that Steve Jobs, the ultimate perfectionist, and, I suspect, too much of an idealist, will not give us few geeks what we want if most of the other 40 million iPhone users could probably care less, if they even notice. I will remain hopeful, though. And who are we kidding really? We all know that if anyone is going to trade up, even if there are no earth-shattering improvements, it is again us geeks who will likely need less convincing than anyone else to get the extra one or two bragging rights.
    Last edited by CrunchDude; 03-07-2010 at 01:29 AM.
    03-07-2010 01:25 AM
    If anything if u must have such a overrated iphone wait til the new one come out...Also stay on edge using 3g(even in a good green 3g area @least that's what the at&t coverage map tells me) you will never get ur picture mail(even after telling them to re-send 10 damn times).But I will keep my phone for the next few months (til I am a year into my contract) than jump ship.I want to believe its just a at&t issue but people say its the IPhone having some cheap arse chip in the phone.
    Had to go back and edit this.I thought this was a thread about somebody thinking about buying the new IPhone...
    Hell's no I will not esp if it does not trounce what i have seen in the nexus one (and now nexus one ish all over the current iphone anybody think otherwise is a loon & need to get off of Apple's "PIECE")
    Last edited by vanityeverlastingbonet; 03-07-2010 at 02:07 AM.
    03-07-2010 01:59 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD