3.1.3 Release

corronchos

May 31, 2009
Visit site
GPS issue?

Does anyone else that upgraded notice it seems to take longer for GPS to get a lock on your location? I tried using Maps, Waze and Trapster and locating me took longer than I remember. Also, once it does finally lock on to my location, sometimes it doesn't stay locked.

Krypto74

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly enough, I have a 3G and I'm noticing that my phone's speed has increased ever since updating to 3.1.3 (I decided not to jailbreak after all, I'll wait to see what software comes out later, and to see what the next iPhone is capable of.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Is anyone having battery issues since the update? Seems like I'm draining a bit quicker since yesterday. Could just be me, or a result of the more accurate battery meter on my 3GS now. But as I'm using apps, typing thus for example, I've seen the battery percentage drop 1 percent. I don't remember it doing that before. I'm guessing that maybe the accuracy is just increased? Maybe before it just stayed at different levels linger and that's why i thought I had more juice. Hmmmm

DataCentre

Jan 26, 2010
www.datacentredesigns.ca
I upgraded to the new firmware yesterday. I've noticed that it's faster, and my battery is a lot better. Probably because it's not jailbroken.

No issues regarding the GPS though. Works great.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
My 3G also seems to have longer battery. Runs about the same. Although even after a few syncs in iTunes it says I have 2.68GB of "other" being taken up, sigh.

Mikey62

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Mine also seems to be alot faster as well. My battery life is also better. As far as GPS locking in on my current location it was even faster. So, overall, mine is rocking!, but like others have said, "mine is not jail broken either"

vsupra123

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
After updating to 3.1.3 my computer has been having trouble syncing up to my iphone (3g). At first itunes didnt want to recognize the phone after the update. Computer found it but itunes ignored the phone. Then after countless uninstalls and re-installs that was fixed....

Now I'm trying to update my phone with music and such and I've noticed that on the info screen in itunes it says that my phone only has the total capacity of 2GBs. I have a 16GB and I only have contacts, 600MB worth of apps and 5 ringtones. I don't know why it's telling me this. The bottom bar that tells you how much of the memory is being used by what says I have 14GB total....Don't see why one says I have 2 and the other reads true at 14GB.

My iPod connects and syncs music and everything just fine.

Ive tried doing restore and my computer put the phone into restore mode and then told me there was a problem with restoring....I had to use another computer to restore to factory and then bring it back to this one and put my contacts back on.

paul100

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
anyone know how to back up my 3.1.2 so if i have to restore, i can
restore 3.1.2 and no the new upgrade? my phone is jb

When you make a backup of your iPhone in iTunes, it saves copies of all of your application preferences files (in /var/mobile/Applications/{GUID}/ApplicationName.app/Library/Preferences) as well as your global system preferences from /var/mobile/Library/Preferences. Knowing this (or perhaps just because it seems like the right place to put things), many jailbreak app developers have elected to put settings data for their apps in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences, too.

What this means for you is that when you back up your iPhone in iTunes, most of the preferences for your jailbreak apps are actually getting included in your iTunes backup. Not 100% (some apps do it differently), but a good majority.

Now, just as App Store apps are not themselves included in a backup, neither are the actual jailbreak applications themselves. To restore your phone to the way it was before, first you have to restore from backup, and after that you re-sync your media and apps. Similarly, there is no (easy) way to back up the actual jailbreak apps. You will have to re-install them all through Cydia. Once reinstalled, though, you will hopefully find that most of them retained all of their settings, since those settings were backed up by iTunes and included in the restore.

There is a way to shortcut the reinstallation of all of your jailbreak apps, though. It's called AptBackup. It's a program (installable through Cydia) that generates a list of all of your currently-installed Cydia applications. It places that list in Library/Preferences so that it is backed up along with everything else by iTunes. When you restore your phone from backup, that list is restored as well. Once you have restored your phone, you can go into Cydia, install AptBackup (and only AptBackup), run it and hit the "restore" button, and AptBackup will go through the list of applications for you that it generated previously and automatically download and install them all for you again. So you don't have to remember what all you had installed before and then install them all again one by one. AptBackup will just do it for you.

The end result is that, for example, if you had WinterBoard installed and a bunch of different themes along with it, and you had certain themes selected in WinterBoard but not others, all of that will end up exactly the way it was before: WinterBoard and the different themes will all be listed in the AptBackup list, and so will all be redownloaded and installed by AptBackup again. WinterBoard's configuration was kept intact by iTunes itself in the iPhone backup, and so the same themes that were enabled before will be active again after AptBackup is through restoring all of your Cydia software.

Note that this will only ensure that your jailbreak applications and most of their preferences are restored. If you did any sort of personal customization (you went in and edited the files in certain WinterBoard themes), or have jailbreak apps that keep data themselves (for example, MxTube video downloads), none of those things will be preserved. You will have to manually make backups of that stuff yourself, so you'll have to know where those things are stored (for example, MxTube keeps its own subdirectory under /var/mobile/Media, and also keeps the database of all of the videos that it has stored in there under /var/mobile/Library/MxTube) and make copies of them before you wipe the phone, and then put the files back in place manually after an iTunes restore and AptBackup restore.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2