Recording phone calls

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Can't be done from the iPhone. If you want to record both parts, you'll need another device to record and put your iPhone on speaker.

Lloyd99

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply Alli.
Seems a bit lacking for such a clever piece of kit. If I'm driving and someone at the office want's to dictate a piece of information to me it seems that I have to park and write it down.
Do you know of any Apps that could facilitate this?
Thanks
Lloyd

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It's not just the iPhone. It's an issue on many mobiles and has to do with the speakers as much as anything. (Couldn't record calls on my Centro or Treo 800w either). And no, there's no app to overcome the hardware.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
it's a legal issue at it's core.

There are too many different laws covering call recording inside the US alone let alone internationally. Imagine needing to make a different handset for every state, region, province, etc to comply. Then add in that Apple doesn't want to be a party to lawsuits and there's corporate agreements, justice dept agreements in multiple countries, etc.

What you end up with is a greatest common denominator device, or that you can't.

any app would need to interface with the phone part of the device between going in the speaker and before being encrypted. it's in Apple's hands to do.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
The laws are quite whacked. In my state you can record a conversation as long as one person in the party is aware it's being recorded. Other states all parties being recorded must be aware.

Check your local laws before you start doing something like this. By doing so, you could potentially be saving yourself a lot of time, money, legal fees, unnecessary stress, etc.

errtex#IM

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
It's not just the iPhone. It's an issue on many mobiles and has to do with the speakers as much as anything. (Couldn't record calls on my Centro or Treo 800w either). And no, there's no app to overcome the hardware.

It really shouldn't be, though. There have been MANY phones that were made capable of recording voice call conversations. My old Nokia 6600, every sonyericsson smart phone I've used -980i, 750i, 810i, and I think even the Blackberry Storm I briefly owned, if I remember correctly.

It's an extremely handy feature for those conversations that you just don't have the ability to jot down on paper at the time of the call... and works great for CYA situations... ie: like phone calls with rude and obnoxious transportation dispatchers that change their story after something goes wrong with a load and try to leave the entire blame on the driver.
:mad:
lol!

josephb

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Correction about Centro and Palm Recording

I am still stuck with using my Centro phone because it DOES record both sides of telephone conversations, using an app called mVoice.
It's a great application that help me document medications when talking with my doctors. I'm a recovering 9/11 volunteer.
The application time stamps the WAV file and can easily be transferred and archived on my desktop. You can then convert it to mp3 for disk space saving purposes.

It's really ridiculous that cellphone manufacturers use the privacy issue as a reason to block recording apps.
In many states, like mine...New YOrk, one party consensual phone recording is perfectly legal. (you don't need consent of both parties).

The benefits of cellphone call recordings are endless. Unfortunately, cellphone makers don't get it.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Its not a law issue.
Apple could easily make an app for this without getting in trouble. Apple isnt responsible for anyone misusing, just like theyre not responsible if you use the same iPhone to call someone up and make death threats.
The person recording a phone call without letting the other person know the call is being recorded is the one who would get in trouble, not Apple.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
CallRec.me is the App Store claims to record both incoming and outgoing calls and is free, I am going to mess with it and see how well it works, will report back my findings soon.

Update, I read the reviews of it and they are not very good. It seems to work but you only get the first 2 min free and then you have to pay for minutes.

Last edited:

TedMurphy

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
This is a bit of a hassle, but you could launch a recorded call off of the Call Trunk website on your iPhone's browser. The website rings your iPhone, then your destination phone, and the calls are bridged and recorded. We are in the midst of jumping through Apple's hoops to get the native Call Trunk iPhone app ok'ed -- already have it available within the Android and BB stores. But it will record an iPhone call fine right now through the browser interface.

Cloud-based, keeps the call saved and available forever, free for the first 25 minutes. Contact me at ted@calltrunk. com for more information.

Last edited:

rvzz

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can record, can be a legal issue.

put it on speaker and record with another device

aybishler

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Ive been using recordiapro.com which allows yo to record calls on demand at the push of a button. i CANNOT believe more ppl dont know about them- they are awesome!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal