So here's a simple thing I'm trying to do that translates into some frustration that I have with iPhone's autocorrect. When I type "Im" or "im", I want that to be autocorrected to "I'm". Apostraphies are autocorrected easily on many words except the most obvious one! Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated

In general I'd say a user-defined dictionary would be a welcome addition to 4.0
    Last edited by igorsky; 01-26-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    01-26-2010 04:13 PM
    It should do I'm for you, one thing that took me some getting used to coming from a berry is I'll, on the berry I would type il space and it would do it for me but in the iPhone I have to type ill space to get it to make it into I'll.
    01-26-2010 04:30 PM
    Every time I try for I'm I get IM. For I'm I have to type I ' m. Kind of annoying.
    01-26-2010 05:32 PM
    Tap on the autocorrect entry and it will undo the change and learn. If you train it wrong it corrects wrong

IM is an abbreviation and should be all caps. The autocorrect is actually correct
    01-26-2010 05:48 PM
    In settings, reset your keyboard dictionary. Then test the "I'm" again...
    01-26-2010 07:14 PM
    Won't that also reset everything I've taught it?
    01-26-2010 08:07 PM
    ...yes, but before you know it, you'll have those words, and many other re-taught.
    01-26-2010 08:18 PM
    That didn't seem to work. Still when I type im it suggests IM. If I type i'm it suggests I'm. Like the OP said, it would be great if it would suggest I'm when I type im.
    01-26-2010 08:44 PM
    That didn't seem to work. Still when I type im it suggests IM. If I type i'm it suggests I'm. Like the OP said, it would be great if it would suggest I'm when I type im.

The alternate is to type accurately. Going to an ' is two extra taps
    01-26-2010 10:34 PM
    The alternate is to type accurately. Going to an ' is two extra taps
    That's really not the point. The iPhone is supposed to have a dictionary that "learns", which it really doesn't do. It learns when not to autocorrect but that's about it. Furthermore it does things that don't really make sense. If it knows that "doesnt" really means "doesn't", then it should learn that "Im" means "I'm". Not to mention that "Im" doesn't really even mean anything and shouldn't be in its dictionary
    01-27-2010 09:29 AM
    That's really not the point. The iPhone is supposed to have a dictionary that "learns", which it really doesn't do. It learns when not to autocorrect but that's about it. Furthermore it does things that don't really make sense. If it knows that "doesnt" really means "doesn't", then it should learn that "Im" means "I'm". Not to mention that "Im" doesn't really even mean anything and shouldn't be in its dictionary
    IM- abbreviation for instant messanger
    im- the country code for the Isle of Man and a place Apple sells the iPhone
    Im- a Korean name in English and another place they sell the iPhone.
    I'm/i'm

How would you like it if your name or country was always changed to I'm?
    01-27-2010 10:02 AM
    If you did a reset of the keyboard settings, after entering IM on your iPhone the first time, it WILL give you IM. But, you have to correct it to I'm. Doing so will cause the iPhone to learn your word. Thus after a few attempts it will start to use I'm vs. IM.

I tested it last night\today, and it works as stated above.

01-27-2010 10:43 AM
    IM- abbreviation for instant messanger
    im- the country code for the Isle of Man and a place Apple sells the iPhone
    Im- a Korean name in English and another place they sell the iPhone.
    I'm/i'm

How would you like it if your name or country was always changed to I'm?
    I appreciate what you're saying, but...

1-Generally you type "IM" to mean instant message.
    2-Can anyone remember the last time (or if ever!) they used "im" in a message referring to the Isle of Man?
    3-See above, only substitute Korean last name for Isle of Man.

All I'm saying is that "I'm" is significantly more common usage than all those other examples and it's a bit frustrating that Apple OS doesn't allow for it. Blackberry OS, for example, has a user-defined dictionary where you can setup autocorrections for pretty much anything you want.
    01-27-2010 11:09 AM
    If you did a reset of the keyboard settings, after entering IM on your iPhone the first time, it WILL give you IM. But, you have to correct it to I'm. Doing so will cause the iPhone to learn your word. Thus after a few attempts it will start to use I'm vs. IM.

I tested it last night\today, and it works as stated above.
    Can you give an example of how that's done? If I type "Im", it leaves it at that. So then go back and change it to "I'm"...I did that five times. However it still leaves it at "Im" so I'm thinking that I did something incorrectly.

Thanks in advance.
    01-27-2010 11:11 AM
    Can you give an example of how that's done? If I type "Im", it leaves it at that. So then go back and change it to "I'm"...I did that five times. However it still leaves it at "Im" so I'm thinking that I did something incorrectly.

Thanks in advance.
    For me too. Maybe I don't know how to teach it.
    01-28-2010 06:10 AM
    I'd like to know more about this too. I don't have the "I'm" issue, but there are things I'd like to teach my new iPhone but I just can't seem to do it. It's frustrating considering I'm a technical instructor.
    03-10-2010 10:36 PM
    I'd like to know more about this too. I don't have the "I'm" issue, but there are things I'd like to teach my new iPhone but I just can't seem to do it. It's frustrating considering I'm a technical instructor.
    From my experience it takes about a week or so for the iPhone to learn the way that you type. I have had mine since Dec and I almost never have to teach it anything new now. Just keep plugging away at it and it should learn the things you want it to over the next week or so.
    03-11-2010 03:02 PM
    Remembered reading this a while ago....

"using Google to search for new words actually forced the iPhone to retain them permanently."
    03-11-2010 06:01 PM

"using Google to search for new words actually forced the iPhone to retain them permanently."
    Hmm, that's kinda cool, I use Google search every day so maybe that's why my phone learned them so fast.
    03-11-2010 06:11 PM

Cool tip. Thanks Dryland.
    03-11-2010 10:22 PM
    That is a cool tip, thanks! I'm wondering if there is a way to teach it more... unconventional things. For example, I'm used to having a shortcut set up on my phone where if I type "ppp" it replaces it with "I'm driving right now, I'll get back to you when I stop."

Is this even possible with the iPhone?
    03-15-2010 06:26 PM
    Wanted to drop a line to say that tapping the autocorrect word to get rid of it before it replaces it is too small on an iPad. U know the bar on top of the keyboard that has buttons for previous, next and auto fill? An x to not replace the word would be welcome, not to mention buttons for select all, cut copy and paste.

I might turn off autocorrect if it keeps getting everything wrong, but that also turns off spell check on iPad running 4.2.1. Does that mean no red lines for incorrectly spelled words? Or tap to replace? Why does it turn that off? Cause thats different from autocorrect
    12-04-2010 11:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD