My stats :-
    1. I'm using an iphone 3Gs.
    2. Living in Hong Kong - but my network does not support 3G.
    3. I receive close to 120 - 150 emails per day - many of them with quite heavy attachments.
    4. I travel overseas v.frequently - almost every week.
    5. I use ONLY 1 POP3 email a/c.

Problem
    - - - - -
    1. I noticed that sometimes the emails download quite fast .. sometimes even only text emails take time to load up - perhaps something to do with the network.
    2. I also realised that i have no control over how an email attachment downloads - sometimes the attachments downloads - sometimes they download if i click on the icon. Locally its fine.. overseas, it adds up to a heavy bill.

* * What i wanted was some way to get notified of emails faster than the current pre-sent of 15 min
    * * Plus i wanted some way to control my overseas roaming bills..

MY SOLUTION - this is where i'm stuck - i need to know if there's a better way :-
    1. Auto forwarded all my emails to a gmail a/c.
    2. Subscribed to mail notifer - that way i get almost instant notifications.
    3. Installed Gmail for iphone on my iphone.

So now, when i travel,
    a I turn off the email downloads
    b When i get the notification,i simply click on the Gmail icon - and check and reply my emails online...

Can anybody relate to this .. or offer some advice if i can improve on this...

thank you very much for the help.
    01-25-2010 11:26 PM
    Get push email, try a mobileme account, try the free trial and see if you like it, push email will tell you the second it arrives
    01-26-2010 01:01 AM
    Thank you for your help..
    1. I tried mobileme - its fantastic.. but, i could not use my current email id for replies .. so i had to give it up.
    2. Mail Notifier is reasonably ok ... until something better comes along..
    3. As mentioned in my 1st post, i also had a problem with email attachments and was going online to check emails when out of town... is there any better solution to that..?
    Thank you.
    01-26-2010 01:35 AM
    under account info you can change the out going server will that work?
    01-26-2010 01:59 AM
    also does not gmail use push mail also
    01-26-2010 02:00 AM
    Sorry, i'm not sure if i understand your posts well..
    1. Mobileme - u cannot change the outgoing server in mobileme - tried it - does'nt work.

2. POP3 a/c
    - - i've forwarded it to gmail.
    - - but in gmail, i've set my outgoing server as my 1 email id so its ok.

I only use 1 email a/c - pop3.

Thanks.
    01-26-2010 02:09 AM
    you can change the outgoing server with MobileMe, now I am not sure you can change the address that the person sees it is coming from...

Does not Gmail offer push mail? Also I think Yahoo offers push mail

Push mail equals instant notification
    01-26-2010 02:54 AM
    Thank you for taking so much trouble to reply.... deeply appreciate..

1. Push - my main problem is not with push - because Mail Notifier is working quite well. With mobileme, when i tried it, it did not allow me to show my pop3 email id.

2. Email attachments - when roaming
    a I travel v.frequently and i dont see any way to control the download of attachments.
    b Only thing i could do is set up to forward all my emails to gmail and then check my gmail (online - using the iphone browser) when i get notified of any new messages.
    Is there any better way to reduce the roaming cost ...

Thanks a lot.
    01-26-2010 03:21 AM
    1) your iPhone will allow you to change your outgoing server... this may work

2a) there really isn't
    2b) mobile doesn't download till I tell it too, so the roaming still happens but not the huge kb that goes with it
    01-26-2010 05:04 AM
    oh... so you're using iphone mail app when roaming .. and u dont land up with very heavy roaming charges?
    that's very interesting - i'm travelling day after tomorrow - will give it a shot.
    thanks.
    01-26-2010 05:11 AM
    I didn't say that, I was asking you...there os no ,ethod which will save you on roaming, but I notice that with mobile me unless I select any attached file it is not downloaded automattically
    01-26-2010 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD