Email keeps deleting.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Are you talking about emails older than X date? Or, emails over the volume of 200? Also, are you using Mobile ME, Gmail, etc, etc?

You really have to give a bit more info...

Doug#IM

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem. My IPhone will delete all email in the inbox read and unread. I can be looking at a screen full of mail not touching anything and they just disappear. It can be days or minutes between occurrences. I have deleted and reset up my email, no good.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem. My IPhone will delete all email in the inbox read and unread. I can be looking at a screen full of mail not touching anything and they just disappear. It can be days or minutes between occurrences. I have deleted and reset up my email, no good.

we need more information on how your email is setup. there are too many variables.

Greg Orlando

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
Here the setup of your email account needs to be checked. I think there was a given option for which your e-mail is being deleted after a certain period of time. Check you account settings properly. Usually e-mails are automatically deleted after 90 days.

andygold

May 23, 2010
Visit site
First post here:)

I have the same thing going on. I'm not sure if my issue is the same as the OP's, but the thread had gone quite stale and figured I'd jack it:eek:.

I just created an IMAP account for my Charter email on my JB 3GS. Charter is POP3, but the phone would not allow me to make a POP3 account for some reason, so it created an IMAP account on the phone. And now more problems have started.....

For a little background....I had a POP3 account on the phone until a few days ago when I received an email that seems to have screwed everything up. Within a few seconds of opening mail, the mail program would crash and bring me back to the springboard. I knew it was related to my Charter account as when i disabled it, I was able to get into my Yahoo account without issue. I deleted all the email from my iPhone/Charter account and also the day's email from my home machine, but that did not solve the crashing issue. So, i deleted the Charter account from the phone. when re-setting it up, POP3 was not a listed option for whatever reason, so I let it set it up as an IMAP account.

Now, with the new IMAP account, I can get my mail on both the computer at home and on the phone, so that's working. The problems arise whenever i sit in front of the desktop and direct it to get new mail. With my new account, if the phone is on, I cannot access my Charter account on the desktop. I get a message letting me know that the account is "IN-USE". If I turn the phone off, or reset the springboard (while the springboard is resetting), that's the only way I can get into my desktop's mail program.

Another issue is that as soon as the desktop starts to show the list of all the new emails on the screen, all of the email sitting on the phone disappears. It makes no difference how long it has been sitting on the phone, nor does it make any difference as to whether I have opened it or not. It just blinks and it's gone. My "sent" mail is still there, as is my "trash", but my "inbox" is totally emptied.

Any thoughts?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If the server is not IMAP, calling it an IMAP account will not make it one. You need to remove the account from your iPhone - that's what's causing the problems.

IMAP is a server thing. Pop3 is a server thing. You are still using a pop3 server and it can't do what an IMAP server can do.

You'd be better off forwarding your charter email to a gmail account, which is IMAp.

andygold

May 23, 2010
Visit site
If the server is not IMAP, calling it an IMAP account will not make it one. You need to remove the account from your iPhone - that's what's causing the problems.

IMAP is a server thing. Pop3 is a server thing. You are still using a pop3 server and it can't do what an IMAP server can do.

You'd be better off forwarding your charter email to a gmail account, which is IMAp.

Well, any ideas why the phone will no longer allow me to set up a POP3 account:)? I used to have one up until a few days ago. The incoming and outgoing servers were pop.charter.net and SMTP.charter.net. Now the phone does not seem to allow this. What I'm now getting is "mobile.charter.net" for both the incoming and outgoing server.

And just after I wrote the original post, I went into my desktop's mail settings and found that "leave messages on server" was unchecked (don't know how that happened). I checked it and I think the auto deleting of the emails has been rectified.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Can you tell me exactly what steps you're taking to set up the account? (On the iPhone, that is...we'll leave the desktop for another time.)

andygold

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I actually have it all working now!:D

Here's what I found....(for others who may run into these issues)

For some unknown reason, the check-box on my desktop mail client that reads "leave messages on server" became unchecked. After I re-enabled it, I was able to check my mail on the desktop without the phone instantly deleting all mail that was sitting in the inbox.

As to the second issue of not being able to create a POP3 account on the phone, I followed some advice I got from someone named "a in yul" on Howard Forums. He/she suggested that I create a new account but use an incorrect email address. I did that (even though the address was incorrect, I still had to use the proper address format of xxx at yyy.net), and the iPhone came back with a message telling me about the incorrect email address. On the very next screen, at the top I now had 2 boxes appear with IMAP in one and POP in the other. I selected POP and this time I put in the proper email address along with the POP server and SMTP server addresses, and all is good. Prior to trying it this way (by using a bogus address), I didn't get any IMAP or POP choices...the phone just automatically decided to set itself up as IMAP.

This also eliminated the 3rd issue where I could not access my desktop mail client due to it alway being "IN-USE". Now, I can access my desktop mail while the phone is on, and it makes no difference if the phone is sitting idle or even if it's in the mail app.

Everything is good!!!:D

jefferson10

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5c have an email through yahoo never had a problem. My job set up an email account with a pop3 account but in my IMAP setting? It is linked to a laptop as well. I have never deleted an email from my laptop but little by little my emails are slowly automatically being deleted on my iPhone 5. It was setup on 10/25/14 and am now up to 3/26/15? What could cause this? Or what more info. do you need that I might be leaving out?

jefferson10

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
What more do you need? Its a pop3 account on an Imap account I don't know if that's why it happens? But it slowly deletes on this account. I have a yahoo account and don't have one problem. They also delete themselves, not if I delete an email from the laptop that it is affiliated with, which by the way I have not deleted a single email???

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods