Google Voice and Visual Voicemail?

radiocity25

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Newbie here to the forums so be gentle! I love the site and have recently checked the forums. Here's my problem. I have Google Voice and love the functions but really miss the Visual Voicemail function on my iPhone. Is there any way I can use both services without jailbreaking or unlocking? It'd be real cool to still be able to use VV on iPhone as well with GV. If anyone can show me some insight I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks!

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
If you will tel us how you have GV set up and how you want to use it. (Is GV to be your Main #, How do you want GV to handle incoming calls, etc.) That way we can know which way to point you.

Unfortunately, without JB you can not "Make" calls with GV. I am not even sure that you can make a call on GV while using WiFi? Not sure?:confused:

radiocity25

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
If you will tel us how you have GV set up and how you want to use it. (Is GV to be your Main #, How do you want GV to handle incoming calls, etc.) That way we can know which way to point you.

Unfortunately, without JB you can not "Make" calls with GV. I am not even sure that you can make a call on GV while using WiFi? Not sure?:confused:

I just want to be able to have my voicemails stored on GV and Visual Voicemail because its a pain having to check GV through Safari. I'd like to be able to still access voicemails thru both services. I don't want to make calls with GV but more like organize and handle my voicemails with visual voicemail and GV.

am i making sense? thank you!

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Google voice is a google service and only fully works on jailbroken phones.

visual voicemail is an Att service only. It does not have any connection to gv calls, even when jailbroken.

there's a way to send ATT voicemail to google voice I believe but not the other way around.

Pick one:
1. Gv voicemail
2. visual voicemail

brickman- you can make calls without being jailbroken, go read their docs. You can make a gv call from any phone. You are right that you need a cellular connection to make calls on a cell phone. It's a call relay service, not a voip service.

Last edited:

radiocity25

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
could you show me how to send visual voicemail to google voice? or have I done that already by making a google voice account..? I was thinking there's some forwarding option for the iphone or something??

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
brickman- you can make calls without being jailbroken, go read their docs. You can make a gv call from any phone. You are right that you need a cellular connection to make calls on a cell phone. It's a call relay service, not a voip service.

True, but it is very "kludgy" IMO. Tried it once and hated it! I would NOT want to do it on a regular basis.

could you show me how to send visual voicemail to google voice?

Log into you account. Go to Settings=>Phones. Under "Forward to:" you should see your Cell#. To the right of that in blue you will see "Activate Google voicemail on this phone"

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
could you show me how to send visual voicemail to google voice? or have I done that already by making a google voice account..? I was thinking there's some forwarding option for the iphone or something??

it doesn't tie visual voicemail to google voice, it makes it so you never use visual voicemail again.

you'll be using google voice's website to get all your voicemail

just be aware, you may need to call your carrier to turn off the forwarding if it bothers you

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner