Last night all of a sudden the edge symbol - 'E' appeared on the top left corner of my display.

Since then my iPhone is continuously lagging.

Suspiciously, everytime I put my phone near a speaker there is a continuous static even though I'm not making/receiving a call or sending/receiving a text.

The lag is such that it's causing a lot of choppiness and the overall UI is not behaving as smooth as it should.

These problems weren't there before the symbol appeared.

I contacted my service provider and have asked them to cancel my data services.

Will that solve the problem or does this go deeper than that?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!!
    01-23-2010 02:56 AM
    I work as a dispatcher, before 3g came out anytime our cell phones recieved any kind of signal text, call, or data, it messed with our 800mhz radio systems. We had to place our phones behind us away from the radios. That problem stopped with 3g. I work nights, and ATT is constantly dropping to E and then nothing at all between the times of 2:30am to 5:30am. I've complained to them about it and they said they fixed the problem, but it's not fixed.
    Last edited by cheliebely12; 01-23-2010 at 06:08 AM.
    01-23-2010 05:57 AM
    i have the same 'E" symbol now im curious
    01-23-2010 07:27 AM
    E is EDGE. It's slower than 3G so it will definitely cause lag. It's a carrier issue, though, and not your phone.
    01-23-2010 08:23 AM
    Suspiciously, everytime I put my phone near a speaker there is a continuous static even though I'm not making/receiving a call or sending/receiving a text.
    this is actually your speakers picking up interference from your phone. so in this case your phone is causing the problem
    01-23-2010 10:05 AM
    this is actually your speakers picking up interference from your phone. so in this case your phone is causing the problem
    If the phone is causing the problem how come the continuous static occurs only when "E" is there and otherwise it isn't present?
    Last edited by nitishgera; 01-23-2010 at 03:02 PM.
    01-23-2010 03:00 PM
    Because it's only an EDGE connection that causes interference. 3G isn't suppose to cause that kind of feedback. (It has been known to...just to a much lesser extent.)
    01-24-2010 04:48 PM
    Reset your iPhone to get rid of the lag. EDGE won't cause lag on the phone, just slower data speeds. Resetting probably will restore the 3G connection as well.
    01-24-2010 04:56 PM
    Okay, I did some reading on this Edge signal disruption thing. Since Im technologically defunct Ill try to put it in some kind terms that make sense. (All those college classes wasted!) The Edge signal is a different frequency than the 3g signal. Your speakers wiring is picking it up and acting as a radio receiver/transmitter. Several comments I read suggested that this was a result of inexpensive speakers that have wiring without proper shielding. It was mentioned several times this could be solved by simply moving the phone away from them, or by wrapping the wires with tinfoil. Look at the map for your service provider, if you are supposed to have 3g service and are only getting Edge contact them, maybe they are just performing a hardware service and its only temporary, or maybe they dont know about a problem that needs to be fixed. My ATT service at home is constantly 3g, although I constantly have dropped calls and echoes in my phone calls. ATT service at my work is constantly dropping to Edge and or losing all signals, of course this is always during late night hours, so who knows. I also found a few people that suggested wrapping your cell phone in several layers of tinfoil and wearing a tinfoil hat. If you try that let me know how it works!
    01-24-2010 06:20 PM
    Turns out it was a temporary network problem. The lag vanished too all of a sudden.
    Thanks for all the help, good people!!
    Looking forward to an iPhone 3.2/4.0 announcement tmrw then (and the iTablet too ofcourse)
    Ciao
    01-26-2010 02:45 PM
    Turns out it was a temporary network problem. The lag vanished too all of a sudden.
    Thanks for all the help, good people!!
    Looking forward to an iPhone 3.2/4.0 announcement tmrw then (and the iTablet too ofcourse)
    Ciao
    this is why it's always good to call your provider when there are network issues. only they can really help with them
    01-26-2010 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD