Google sync problems. Pics, ringtones...

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I used google sync with exchange on my 3G for the first time and noticed a couple things. The caller ID pictures now show up as a small picture on the top instead of the whole screen. Also, when I assign a ringtone to a contact, it eventually resets back to whatever my default ringtone is. Is this normal? :confused:

CreepingDeath77

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
The small picture at the top thing is normal. I don't like it either, but for me it's worth the trade off of having my contacts synced in the cloud. The ringtone thing I'll have to test out. I use the same ringtone for everybody.

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
The picture issue doesn't really bother me either, but the ringtone thing makes me want to stop using the sync feature. I think it has to do with the fact the google contacts doesn't have fields for ringtones (obviously) and whenever the phone re-syncs with the server, the fields that aren't supported by google are just deleted. For example, there is an option when adding a contact on the iphone to set the "number type" as "iphone" but since google doesn't have an option for iphone, that field never gets added on the phone. Thus when I first sync'd with google, all of my contacts that had iphones were empty. I had to go back to google and change those to "mobile."

whsbuss#IM

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
If you want the pictures to remain those on the iphone contacts, change the option setting in mail.google.com to "Only show pictures that I've chosen for my contacts - Pictures your contacts select for themselves will not be displayed." This will keep the images.

e1miran

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm having sync issues, too. In my case my contacts sometimes randomly duplicate or some even get dropped. I've even had one contact that I've deleted and it keeps showing up again. Am I not supposed to be able to edit contacts in both iPhone an gmail and they should stay in sync?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro