Dead iPhone?

Torrs

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone 3G 8GB. It is not Jailbroken or Unlocked. Basically the iPhone was accidently run down to 0. Then when I came to turn if back on it wouldn't.

Basically, if I plug in a connector cable that is connected to a USB the silver Apple logo appears on screen for a minute or so, then the display disappears apart from a very faint Apple logo (almost like screen burn) until I unplug the cable, and it disappears completely. By the way, this is the only way I can get any responce from the iPhone

If I try and put it into DFU mode, it comes up with the Connect to iTunes graphic. I connect to iTunes, iTunes recognizes a device is in DFU mode. I try and restore but it fails instantly with an Error 23. It then disconnects itself. I have this procedure of three different Macs, all with the same outcome.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this iPhone completely dead? Is there anything else I can try?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
this is going to sound stupid of me, but, have you plugged it into a wall charger and let it charge for a while? when run down to zero the iphone needs some time to charge up a bit before it will do anything (even if it is plugged in)

Torrs

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
this is going to sound stupid of me, but, have you plugged it into a wall charger and let it charge for a while? when run down to zero the iphone needs some time to charge up a bit before it will do anything (even if it is plugged in)

Hey Chobbs.

Yeah done that. With the original battery I left it over night. Then I installed another battery and charged that for over 10 hours and still nothing. :(

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
That is not normal. Even if the battery is run down to zero. You should take it to Apple. If you have the 3gs it should still be under warranty.

Torrs

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
That is not normal. Even if the battery is run down to zero. You should take it to Apple. If you have the 3gs it should still be under warranty.

Unfortunately its only a 3G, so it's about 18 months old. Still I've got an appointment to see an Apple Genius tomorrow. See what happens I suppose.

Torrs

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Let us know what you find out!

Will do.

Something someone else suggested, on another forum, was to put it into DFU/Recovery mode and leave it like that to charge for a long time. Does anyone think that this will be useful or is there a chance it might damage it (even) more?

Cheers

Last edited:

Torrs

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
not useful at all...better chance to use the wall charger

I tried it anyway, nothing to lose I feel, but after a few minutes the screen goes blank again, as if shutting down. I'll leave it charging on the AC anyway, and see what happens. If I leave it till tomorrow night that'll be about 24 hours of charging time. That should be enough for any phone.

Torrs

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I took it to the Genius and she said it has had some water damage. One of the indicators is pink?! Even though its out of warranty she offered to replace it, with a new one, for ?150. Ah well! Better than having to buy a brand new one.

Greg Orlando

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
I am suffering with the same case as yours. Is my iphone dead now? What is happening? Can anyone provide good suggestion? Any recommendations would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro