What's your favorite way to text/SMS?

What's your favorite way to text/SMS?

• I use the iPhone Messaging app

Votes: 43 79.6%
  • TextNow (blue/white icon; AppStore)

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • textPlus+ (green icon; AppStore)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TextFree (white icon with two bubbles; AppStore)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • biteSMS (pink or two bubbles; JB app)

• iRealSMS (green; JB app)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I use an IM Messaging client (AIM, Live, Google, Y!)

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
So I've downloaded at least a half a dozen of these texting apps, both from the AppStore, and a couple of them are Jailbreak apps.

Is it really a good idea to "switch" to one of these in order to save money by not having to pay any texting plans? I don't mind using them, but I would like it to display my number, although texting without the number can have its appeal as well, if you want to stay anonymous I suppose. Then there are the Instant Messaging clients, which basically do the same thing. Call me old-fashioned, but IM'ing does not replace SMS texting IMHO. I definitely would switch to one of the SMS apps, though.

Alright, please vote for your favorite way to text with the iPhone, and maybe include as to what method you prefer, and as to why you would recommend it over other options.

This should be interesting. :)

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Texting and instant messaging are similar, but different. You're right on that. You simply can't replace one with the other. Texting apps are ok if you're willing to (usually) use a separate number to give your friends to use - which puts a burden on them and defeats the ease of sms/mms.

My IM and SMS contacts are totally different. I have a large number of IM contacts, many of whom I would never ever allow to have my personal phone number.

Just use SMS/MMS the way it was intended.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Texting and instant messaging are similar, but different. You're right on that. You simply can't replace one with the other. Texting apps are ok if you're willing to (usually) use a separate number to give your friends to use - which puts a burden on them and defeats the ease of sms/mms.

My IM and SMS contacts are totally different. I have a large number of IM contacts, many of whom I would never ever allow to have my personal phone number.

Same here, I just use the regular way to SMS! :D

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I probably use IM and SMS about the same amount through out a typical day. I use BeeJive which has "push" so I get my IMs very quickly. Seems to be as reliable as SMS for the people that I use it with. Of course, I am not a heavy texter.;)

I tried some of the apps like Text+ and while they are fine and do save you money they can become cumbersome, IMO. I also have tried some of the iPhone to iPhone apps like WhatsApp, iMessenger, Ping, pMessenger and others. WhatsApp is still my favorite followed by pMessenger.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I use Yahoo IM More then then I use the actual native SMS app, that said I love the way the native app handles SMS and MMS.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Very well said I have no issue posting my yahoo iquinn23 if anyone wants to geek chat, but I would never give out my number.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
(...)Texting apps are ok if you're willing to (usually) use a separate number to give your friends to use - which puts a burden on them and defeats the ease of sms/mms.

My IM and SMS contacts are totally different. I have a large number of IM contacts, many of whom I would never ever allow to have my personal phone number. (...)

Very well put! :) I also like the iPhone messaging app, but I miss the character counter, which biteSMS, for instance, integrates into the native client very effectively. I can also appreciate your point in that I would not want most of my IM "buddies" to have my cell number.

Having said that, I text internationally quite frequently, and I would like to know if anyone can steer me to a reliable texting app. The 100 texts app that AT&T offers makes limited financial sense, and only if you send a particular amount of text messages each month.

As far as the convenience factor is concerned, two of all the SMS apps I listed offered to "register" my number, which I consider fairly important, so as not to inconvenience my SMS contacts.

I guess I'll try them all out to see what my texts look like when sent from each of those apps. lol...Any add'l suggestions would be very welcome. :)

Thanks again!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have been enjoying WhatsApp for messaging my iPhone owning contacts, and their BB version is almost done, so you would only have to worry about texting your friends who are still using feature phones, or some of those other things like...Android or WebOS devices.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I have tried a few SMS apps and for me the best one BY FAR is TextNow. I have it linked to my Google Voice number. I haven't had any complaints from people that I text.

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Funny this thread came up today, my friends and i are trying to find and app that will be close to BBM (blackberry messenger), mostly the group chat option. for 3 weeks now we had try a lot of apps including, text plus, imessanger, whats app, conctd, flow chat, beejive, ebuddie, palringo, ace messanger, fring and so far the only one that we like is yak. its free and you can add people to the conversation and keep the conversation alive for weeks. i do wish what's app will bring these features in t he future and do the multiplatform thing so we can communicate with other non-iphone users.

Dementius

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
So I've downloaded at least a half a dozen of these texting apps, both from the AppStore, and a couple of them are Jailbreak apps.

Is it really a good idea to "switch" to one of these in order to save money by not having to pay any texting plans? I don't mind using them, but I would like it to display my number, although texting without the number can have its appeal as well, if you want to stay anonymous I suppose. Then there are the Instant Messaging clients, which basically do the same thing. Call me old-fashioned, but IM'ing does not replace SMS texting IMHO. I definitely would switch to one of the SMS apps, though.

Alright, please vote for your favorite way to text with the iPhone, and maybe include as to what method you prefer, and as to why you would recommend it over other options.

This should be interesting. :)

I use the biteSMS option however I don't use their service for messages. So basically it works as kind of a cover over my native messaging app. I just love the quick reply feature and ability to have both privacy when the message notification comes up and the ability to see it without opening the messaging app (just touch on it and the words appear) Also love the pictures by contacts in the messaging list and ability to see timestamps on every single message instead of random ones.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I just use the native SMS app. I use SMS themes from my jailbreak and also a
character counter. So that's all I need. I'm not enamored with any of the 3rd
party apps at all.

drian

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I use the biteSMS option however I don't use their service for messages. So basically it works as kind of a cover over my native messaging app. I just love the quick reply feature and ability to have both privacy when the message notification comes up and the ability to see it without opening the messaging app (just touch on it and the words appear) Also love the pictures by contacts in the messaging list and ability to see timestamps on every single message instead of random ones.

How do you get the timestamp for each message???

edit: just looked it up and found out

I never knew that! Awesome! Why can't apple think of these things!!!!!!!

milani

Jul 17, 2008
ambientrings.com
For the most part I use the phone messaging app. On occasion I will use the Facebook app or Skype, but that's only if someone happens to be online at the same time that I am. I have never come close to using all of my text messages in any given month, so I haven't had much incentive to try any of the third party options like Ping! (though I do still have it, just in case).

aftemoVesee

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
seroquel and ambien w715 ambien

mixing clonazepam and xanax xanax no prescription mastercard taking xanax and lexapro together vicodin and xanax together vicodin or xanax xanax negative side effects

invites2trackers com/showthread php?p=30103#post30103]obat ambien - Buy Ambien pills with discount! ambien active ingredients ambien rehab

deathrowpkers ulmb com/index php?topic=9096 new#new]Buy Ambien pills with discount! - generic ambien how long does ambien stay in the system ambien vicodin interaction

rfai aregner com/viewtopic php?f=4&t=18491&p=39546#p39546]Buy cheap Phentermine online - phentermine pill color legit phentermine phentermine show up on drug test
ag-innovation-pws de/phpbb/viewtopic php?p=96311#96311]how long do ativan withdrawals last | weed and ativan ativan anxiety mylan 457 ativan

noob4clan net/viewtopic php?f=11&t=118018&p=191838#p191838]how much ativan is fatal - ativan online no prescription how long ativan withdrawal will ativan get you high

e-muaban net/upload/upload/showthread php?p=21375#post21375]Buy cheap Ambien online! - ambien tapering lorazepam ambien ambien bad dreams

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
i chose OTHER:
how can u forget about beejive IM from app store...thats what i use and LOVE IT! [...] edit: just looked it [timestamp addon] up and found out

I never knew that! Awesome! Why can't apple think of these things!!!!!!!

That's because Apple is, notoriously and almost by definition with the iPhone's, a control freak. Remember no cut/copy/paste? Remember no landscape typing? Remember not being able to send an MMS. hahah....Luckily, we now have OS 3.1 and Jailbreak. :D

By the same token, however, I respect anyone who can make money. Steve Jobs is a genius. Artificially withholding very basic and obvious functionality that a $50 cellphone has been able to do for years and years, and at the same time, having people line up in front of his stores, and watching his iPhone gobble up billions of dollars, euros, pounds, yen, etc., is quite stunning. He probably knows right now what the iPhone will look like in three years from now, featuring maybe LTE 7.2...Gbps. :D He's made a lot of people rich, too, with the Apple stock now well over 200 in its exponential ascent.

Kidding aside, I sincerely hope that he'll be around and healthy to enjoy all of this.

As for BeeJive IM, that would go into the IM app category, and yes, it's awesome. I bought my license when it was on sale. For would-be Jailbreakers, Push notification is great and everything, but it's so much more convenient when you can multitask it.

Agreed. On all counts! I just noted in another thread how seamlessly and flawlessly the integration of both Apple's and Cydia's respective app stores, and both of its settings/add-ons/plug-ins, work without so much as one hiccup. That's how it's been for me anyway. With the 3GS's app memory at 256MB (double over the 3G model), I've run both app stores in the back, along with Beejive, while skipping through 8 open tabs of Safari. Now that's serious multitasking, and the iPhone can do it. Effortlessly.

DainBramage1

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I have tried a few SMS apps and for me the best one BY FAR is TextNow. I have it linked to my Google Voice number. I haven't had any complaints from people that I text.

I've been testing TextNow for a couple weeks. I like that it can tie to my Google Voice number, but won't love it until it supports MMS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods