hi everyone! I normally never need to post on forums because i've always been able to google the answers i've needed... but in this case the available answers to my question are a bit too vague...

I live in Canada, and although my iphone 3gs is jailbroken and unlocked (blackra1n & blacksn0w), the unlock wasn't necessary since i'm with a legit provider... i only did it because i can and because i figured it can't hurt. But it actually turns out to be a good thing since i've just found out that i'm moving to Florida in March.

Since Canada has so few cell providers and they all offer the iPhone, unlocking is kind of pointless and therefor there is very little info on the subject. My question is: Since i'm bring my phone down, what are the best and/or cheapest options for me. Seeing as how i'm unlocked, i'm free to go with any sim-based provider. Which company would offer me the best (most bang for my buck) option?

Basically, if At&T is actually the monster everyone makes it out to be, whats the next best option that allows me to enjoy my phone to its fullest.

Speaking of AT&T, would my Canadian Iphone even work with them or would i have to buy theirs? (i'd rather avoid buying a new one since mine is pre-tethered)

Also, what are my prepaid options?

I know this is long winded, but thanks so much in advance!
    01-14-2010 12:51 AM
    being unlocked it will work on AT&T, as long as you are buying a plan they wont care where the phone came from, and you will be contract free
    01-14-2010 03:28 AM
    Well your only other option would be to run it on TMO, and I would advise against that as you will not be able to use the 3G on your iPhone unless you run it on ATT. Coverage in Florida is really good on ATT and I have some friends in that area that never have issues with their 3G service. I love ATT and while they are not the cheapest they are the best IMHO. Oh and one more thing, welcome to the states and cheers.
    01-14-2010 03:28 AM
    If 3G is important to you (and as far as I am concerned it is very important to me) then AT&T is your carrier.

If you can live on EDGE alone, then you might want to give T-Mobile a try.
    01-14-2010 09:01 AM
    The only 2 national carriers that operate a GSM based network are T-Mobile and AT&T. My suggestion would be to check the coverage maps of each. In my area (unfortunately nowhere near warm temperatures of Florida) T-Mobile coverage is spotty. AT&T has my area pretty well blanketed in 3G, and I actually have fewer problems than I did with Verizon (which is why I switched to AT&T in the first place). Also, as others have pointed out, you'll be limited to EDGE with T-Mobile since their 3G radio band is not compatible with the iPhone.

Additionally, I would see if your current carrier and Apple would unlock your phone for you given your circumstances. Might save some hassles further down the road when a new OS comes out.
    01-14-2010 09:41 AM
    people like to complain.

AT&T works just fine for > 99% of users.
    01-14-2010 10:31 AM
    If I were you I would just go to AT&T and get a plan for your current unlocked iPhone. They shouldn't give you any problems. I've never had a problem with AT&T. You can check their coverage in the area you are going to be.

Then later this year when the new iPhone comes out you can get that at the cheap price since you are not on a contract with AT&T yet. That is of course if you are going to be in the US for awhile.
    01-14-2010 01:45 PM
    If I were you I would just go to AT&T and get a plan for your current unlocked iPhone. They shouldn't give you any problems. I've never had a problem with AT&T. You can check their coverage in the area you are going to be.

Then later this year when the new iPhone comes out you can get that at the cheap price since you are not on a contract with AT&T yet. That is of course if you are going to be in the US for awhile.
    This, but make SURE that they don't put you under a contract. Make sure to specify that multiple times that you don't want a contract b/c you are bringing your own hardware.
    01-14-2010 01:58 PM
    Another idea

Hold onto it for now, buy any new model for cheap, sell your current one at that time.

unlocked iphones tend to get a premium right now.
    01-14-2010 03:27 PM
    Alright... Thanks everyone! That answered all of my questions in detail - as well as a few other things that i wasn't even aware of!

I guess the main thing i was worried about was not being able to get a normal iphone plan if i didn't have a SS#... and for those of you who are concerned about Canadians coming down to work and not paying income tax, don't worry - i shop a lot and will pay my fair share that way! haha... Again, thanks.
    01-14-2010 05:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD