Discuss the iPhone OS 4.0 software here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

siulong

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
IPhone OS 4.0

If Apple does go ahead a showcase 4.0 on Jan 27th will this update work on the current 3GS do you think or will it be a new OS for a new Device?

Apologies if im asking a silly question that has been asked before.

jnickell

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
My guess is it will be a newish to brand new look that will carry over well to the tablet. I am not sure that they will announce new hardware, but probably will tell developers the types of things to plan for - different resolutions, multi core - stuff they have already said. I'm sure the new software will work with 3gs, though it could have some limits, like 3.0 had with the 3g and video recording.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yep, i'm sure Apple could have thrown us some updates, but they would have provided leaks of what Apple has planned with 4.0.

In light of android picking up steam in mindshare, i think apple is smart to introduce 4.0 early. Most likely we'll see 4.1 or 4.2 with a new iphone this late spring/summer. There's a few "idon'ts" Apple needs to address.

Readover

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
So you guys think it isn't that bad an idea to buy a 3GS now? Cuss thinking of getting one... But at the same time i'm a bit hesitant because there might be a iPhone 4 out soon.. but maybe there isn't?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
So you guys think it isn't that bad an idea to buy a 3GS now? Cuss thinking of getting one... But at the same time i'm a bit hesitant because there might be a iPhone 4 out soon.. but maybe there isn't?

What's your definition of soon? You should expect one out before July at the very least. If you did buy a 3GS, you'll know within your 30 days what apple has cooking on Jan 27.

I'd be very surprised if we see any new iphone hardware announced this month though. Apple is wanting to sell oversized ipods (or an islate) right now that you can finger paint with and read media. (my 3 yr old would love it..but the $$$...this would have to be compelling)

4.0 alone would spur a spike in 3GS sales. And give Apple enough time to throw some updates together for a new iphone announcement later.

JMO though.

Naughty_Ottsel

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
If Apple does go ahead a showcase 4.0 on Jan 27th will this update work on the current 3GS do you think or will it be a new OS for a new Device?

Apologies if im asking a silly question that has been asked before.

Going by the rumors we've seen it is quite possible that if the Tablet is real and it does run iPhone OS 4.0 then 3GS will get 4.0 and most likely going to get many of the software features available in 4.0 as well as on the 4G iPhone, for example with OS 3.0 iPhone 2G got no MMS or iPhone Tether yet iPhone 3G did however iPhone 3G did not get Voice Control which was standard on the 3GS. Each device has its own version of the update and going by the rumor of the iPhone SDK 4 allowing the developer to change screen size.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I once asked a Merck researcher if it was a good time to buy Merck stock. He responded that it was always a good time to buy Merck stock.

It is always a good time to buy an iPhone. Only a fraction of the value or cost of ownership is in the device. Suck it up.

dieselboy28

May 1, 2009
Visit site
After reading the blogs about 4.0, everyone is making it sound like 4.0 is being released on the 27th. While I would love that, it just doesn't make sense because none of our apps have been updated to work on this f/w version. I think it's more reasonable that we merely see a demo of 4.0 with a beta following. Then a whole whack of time for like 5 beta's, all leading up to the new iPhone and 4.0 f/w.

Readover

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
What's your definition of soon? You should expect one out before July at the very least. If you did buy a 3GS, you'll know within your 30 days what apple has cooking on Jan 27.

I'd be very surprised if we see any new iphone hardware announced this month though. Apple is wanting to sell oversized ipods (or an islate) right now that you can finger paint with and read media. (my 3 yr old would love it..but the $$$...this would have to be compelling)

4.0 alone would spur a spike in 3GS sales. And give Apple enough time to throw some updates together for a new iphone announcement later.

JMO though.

Yeah I guess you're right. If OS 4.0 is released for 3GS too then i definitely think I'll be more than happy with it :) Although higher resolution on the screen and maybe bigger would be nice but as far as hardware goes, the 3GS seems quite sufficient. Only multi-tasking and other goodies and I'm happy!

Readover

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
One of te things i would liketo see is a landscape mode of every screen that could be switcchd on and off

yeah that would be nice. And i would like a button or something (probably software) to lock it in one mode cuss its so annoying not to be able to lie on the side and use the phone :p I hold the phone straight, the picture turns to landscape, I turn the phone cuss the picture is 90 degres wrong - the picture turns again.. and so on =D I could be spinning the phone 1080 degress... Not a big problem, but i like lieing on the side when I'm in bed.. lol

Last edited:

TeknologeeFreak

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I recall a few weeks back that a rumor was floating around about Apple giving developers a heads up about screen resolutions and whatnot for the Tablet/OS 4.0 possibly. I think theres a good chance that we will see an OS upgrade on the 27th. They are outside their timeframe for a regular os update (ie 3.2). Who knows what else they have in store, other than the tablet. Its a luxury item, which I could probably swing the dough to get one, but what use will I have of it?? I want 4.0, on the 27th please...

martyn

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Was going to go play about with an iphone 3gs tomomorrow, and buy one on monday when i get paid, as i brought a htc hd2, looked brilliant and ran fine for the first week, just slugish ever since, so going to either send it back or shuv it on ebay and get an iphone, but also been looking at the nexus one,

a mate said they ment ot be annoucing a 4gs on 27th? told me to sit tight? anyone got any info on this? or is he on about the os4? im confused, as i wouldnt need to wait for that ?

Readover

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the OS might be released on the 27th, but i doubt it. Although, as you mention, a OS upgrade is due. I think it's unlikely we'll se a "4GS" on the 27th. Even more so, released on the 27th.

I acctually, could see myself wanting, and using an iTablet.

Aypapi

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Can I run both AVG9 and Microsoft Security Essentials?

I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed in my HCL laptop Last month i was encrypting my external hard disk with "bit locker drive encryption" It started normally, but suddenly after 49%, it stuck, displaying an error: "An error occurred This disk has one or more errors, run chkdsk/r, if the error persist this may be indicative of a hardware fault " I then thought to decrypt my data back and to disable the protection When I tried doing this, after some time my PC hanged and the operation got aborted When I restarted my system, i found that the disk is not being detected It is not shown in "computer", although the disk lights were on I tried running the hard disk in "Ubuntu OS", it works there, but all my data is encrypted My hard disk is absolutely fine and OK There is no problem with hardware and no virus is there in my PC as well What to do now? How can i get my data back and how can i decrypt my harddisk? Please help, since this data worths me a lot The capacity of my hard disk is 250GB and its a Western Digital brand Thanks, Niks forexrobot-review com]forex robot

RandomVillain

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
One thing I would like to see in 4.0 is a pretty damn simple one. Actually, I believe EVERY cell phone that currently exists has this feature except the iPhone.

Custom SMS Ringtones.

Simple. Thats all I ask. Bring it on.

Mainly because I have an awesome ringtone to use for SMS already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner