sim card switch?

bodizzle

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a job where i cant have a phone with a camera on the premises. So i was wondering if I would be able to purchase an iphone, and switch the sim card daily with another phone without a camera(blackberry tour maybe). I was wondering if any issues would come up, or if anyone has done this without any issues.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes you can do that, if you get a berry you will lose some of the functions of the berry since you will be on an iphone data plan. Unless you need to have a smart phone you may as well just get a non camera flip phone or something like that as a second phone. And last but not least welcome to the forums.

Viper5dn

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, new to the forum. Been reading through some of the post, super informative--thanks! I just got a new phone to use with my first gen (2G) iPhone for work, I was also wondering about switching sims between the two. All I need in my other phone is to do some super-light browsing. I just wanted to make sure there aren't any kind of charges for using the data on my other phone (I only have to use it 2 days a week). Thanks!

Last edited:

mg48

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have a berry plan for work. I switch the sim to my iPhone 3 gs nights and weekends. Ei use apn changer on the iPhone so ATT doesn't really see it as an iPhone on a non iPhone plan. Been working like since my 3g.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have a berry plan for work. I switch the sim to my iPhone 3 gs nights and weekends. Ei use apn changer on the iPhone so ATT doesn't really see it as an iPhone on a non iPhone plan. Been working like since my 3g.

the APN isn't what ATT goes by to identify phones. The use the IMEI.

Viper5dn

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, even though I work at a tech firm I'm still a wireless noobie. What does 'follows the line of service mean' exactly. Again, sorry if that was just a ridiculously stupid question.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, even though I work at a tech firm I'm still a wireless noobie. What does 'follows the line of service mean' exactly. Again, sorry if that was just a ridiculously stupid question.

A sim card is a physical device that AT&T has a 1:1 reference to a line of service.

a line of service is a phone number for most people. or it can be the service on an internet card, or pager, or whatever. From a comparative land line standpoint Dry loop DSL does not have a phone line, it has a line of service it uses.

With wireless the plan features go on the line of service. txt, data, voice, whatever.

Again comparing to a landline, Uverse, DSL and phone service all shares the same line of service. they're roughly comparable to the features on a cell phone line of service.

Whereas with DSL you get a physical box that works with the signals and the phone company has rules that let you connect that box (i.e. username/password is required) a cell phone sends down device codes. each phone is programmed for each feature that may be enabled or disabled. like when MMS was added to the iphone the phone needed the programming added. a device code enabled this feature and a matching entry on your plan let's it be billed right

they can even scan their system for the IMEI and see if it matches what's on your plan. It takes some hacking by a rep to get their system to see otherwise. It's hard to be sure if they scan the phone or the IMEI in their records, I bet both.

if you have the wrong plan for the device billing may see device X, but to get unlimited data you need plan Y and it sees plan Z and it bills accordingly.

this is why when moving between devices you have to make sure the plan matches the device it's in. if you don't, you're risking a huge bill.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox