Hi guys...im contemplating buying a iphone 3g..the reason i wanted to get the phone is cos i wanted to get the skysports package on it and be able to watch sports on it as i work long hours and i miss most of the footy games shown..i live in uk so its accesible for me.The problem is i have been told that i can only watch skysports if im in wifi zone..i was wondering if there was any application or any other way that i cud watch sky sports..cos i may not always be in a wifi zone..kindly help..much appreciated
    01-08-2010 08:14 AM
    you have to jailbreak your phone and install an app that fakes you being on wifi.

to learn how to jailbreak, you might post here
    http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-jailbreak-unlock/

oh, and your title doesn't make sense. if you don't have wireless, your phone will never work for data. I assumed you meant 3g vs cellular data connections
    Last edited by flyingember; 01-08-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    01-08-2010 08:49 AM
    There are hardware solutions which will basically give you a WiFi hotspot anywhere you get 3G access. You will need to sign up for a contract with a cell phone provider though. The device itself is about the size of a credit card and more than one person can access it via Wi-Fi. Verizon call theirs the "MiFi".
    01-10-2010 01:49 AM
    There's also a chance that the app you are talking about will eventually work over 3G. Skype used to be limited to WiFi only, but it was announced that they will enable all functionality over 3G.
    01-10-2010 01:51 AM
    Thanks for the help guys...flying member..what i basically meant is that i wanna be able to watch skysports on the iphone..im still quite a newbie on all these matters..basically i wanna use 3g on the phone to watch live games..i will subscribe to sky sports..but i was told that it might not work unless im in a wifi zone..or was that wrong?
    01-14-2010 09:32 AM
    Thanks for the help guys...flying member..what i basically meant is that i wanna be able to watch skysports on the iphone..im still quite a newbie on all these matters..basically i wanna use 3g on the phone to watch live games..i will subscribe to sky sports..but i was told that it might not work unless im in a wifi zone..or was that wrong?
    basically.

your only other option is to jailbreak your phone and install an app that fakes saying you are on wifi.
    01-14-2010 10:23 AM
    or purchasing a plan from vodaphone UK or the likes.

you have to have SOME kind of connection. you cant just watch it because you have an iPhone, as cool as that would be. ^^ good ideas with the wifi spoofer.
    01-14-2010 11:04 AM
    or purchasing a plan from vodaphone UK or the likes.

you have to have SOME kind of connection. you cant just watch it because you have an iPhone, as cool as that would be. ^^ good ideas with the wifi spoofer.
    no, it appears he has a data connection but the app only works over wifi.
    01-14-2010 12:19 PM
    Basically sky sports offers a package for mobiles to watch sports on ur mobile phones which have 3g,which is available only in the UK..so do i need to be in a wifi zone to watch 3g or does 3g have its own thing...i know i sound silly,but i have absolutely no clue bout all this..i just wanna be able to watch my footy as i miss a lot cos i have to work late.
    01-15-2010 08:19 AM
    Basically sky sports offers a package for mobiles to watch sports on ur mobile phones which have 3g,which is available only in the UK..so do i need to be in a wifi zone to watch 3g or does 3g have its own thing...i know i sound silly,but i have absolutely no clue bout all this..i just wanna be able to watch my footy as i miss a lot cos i have to work late.
    call sky sports and ask
    01-15-2010 09:24 AM
    3g IS your cell phone connection to the network. if it says it will work over 3g then it should work if you have 3g coverage in your work area. what needs to be clarified is if the program works for the IPhone 3g or if it works over the wireless 3g network. If it states that it works only over wifi then you'll have to do as flyingmember and others suggested...jailbreak and use the wifi spoof program or purchase an item from the cellphone carrier, like the mifi.
    01-16-2010 03:01 PM
    hi guys..ive finally purchased my iphone and loving it.I found out what the deal finally is..like i mentioned earlier i wanted to watch skysports on my iphone..while rest of the apps wud generally work on 3g,skysports only works if u have a wifi connection..i jailbroke my iphone with blackra1n and i installed cydia,cos i found out they have 3g unrestrictor which tricks ur fone into thinking its on wifi when its still on 3g..but the app needs to be bought..i was wondering if there is cracked version of the 3g unrestrictor..if not i really dont mind buyin the app but im just very very vary about registering my bank details online..i wud love to know how safe cydia is if do go ahead and purchase it from them..thanks in advance
    02-14-2010 06:55 AM
    "while rest of the apps wud generally work on 3g,skysports only works if u have a wifi connection.."

Never heard that you could restrict some app from working on 3g.. well..
    If the case was that basic 3g is too slow for the app I could believe it better Tho you can get 7M 3g..

--edit
    Hmm, this is nice.. checked google:
    "But as far as the $30 SlingPlayer app is concerned, your iPhone might as well be an iPod Touch. It only lets you watch while connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot.

The reason for this is that Apple refused to approve an earlier version of the app that allows users to stream video over the Edge and 3G networks, because its partner AT&T worried that SlingBox owners would overload the companys 3G wireless network by streaming video to their iPhones.

Read More http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/05/slingplayer-iphone-app-crippled-by-apple-att/#ixzz0fadOzq5Y"
    Last edited by matrixlawn; 02-15-2010 at 03:06 AM.
    02-15-2010 02:32 AM
    "while rest of the apps wud generally work on 3g,skysports only works if u have a wifi connection.."

Never heard that you could restrict some app from working on 3g.. well..
    If the case was that basic 3g is too slow for the app I could believe it better Tho you can get 7M 3g..

--edit
    Hmm, this is nice.. checked google:
    "But as far as the $30 SlingPlayer app is concerned, your iPhone might as well be an iPod Touch. It only lets you watch while connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot.

The reason for this is that Apple refused to approve an earlier version of the app that allows users to stream video over the Edge and 3G networks, because its partner AT&T worried that SlingBox owners would overload the companys 3G wireless network by streaming video to their iPhones.

Read More
    Skype app didn't allow edge/3G calls either, until recently.
    02-18-2010 05:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD