Did I get a bad battery/phone???

MSOdtown

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I just got my 3GS on Sunday, and the battery has been pretty poor. I'm thinking this may just be the phone going through a couple cycles, but I want to see what you guys think.

So after a full charge last night, it is now 4:00 my time I made 2 phone calls both less than a minute and messed around with the phone for a little while just checking out settings and some Apps....(probably an hour and a half total) My battery sits at 50% I did just look at my usage and it says 3 hours usage and 8 hours standby. Is this normal and I'm just being parnoid about my battery? Any opinion is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh and I did search and see that draining it completely and charging it with the laptop may help, I'm gonna try that tonight.

MSOdtown

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't actually, but you just made me realize that I was being a moron. I kept thinking about how when I left work my blackberry battery was at 85%, but after your response I now realize that because it was such a peice of crap I wasn't using it all unless I received an email. So that makes perfect sense. Thanks for your "help"!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I exchanged my iPhone yesterday for a bad battery. With 100% charge at 10:00 p.m. and sitting unused on the bedside overnight, it would be at 40% at 5:30 a.m. That is bad battery.

MSOdtown

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Alli, Im sure mine is fine. Im gonna try that at work tomorrow not even look at it and see what happens. Did you get an new and better replacement?

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
You have 5 hours of talk time on 3G but a few minutes of just talking on the phone shouldn't bring it down to 50 percent for any reason. Standby time in 2 hours shouldn't be anymore than one or two percent

Before you return it ( if you haven't already ):

- Charge the phone up to 100% and leave the power cord in
- Power off the Phone
- Plug the cord out and plug it back in ( this should power the phone on automatically , if not [ but it should ] , power it on manually )
- The phone might say 99% or show 100% with the "lightening" icon in the battery
- Let the Phone charge up to 100% and make sure the battery icon has plug icon.

After you do all this, let us know how it works out for you.

I do this almost every morning when I know I'll be out for most of the day in school. Restarting the phone does the same thing restarting a computer does : it refreshes the memory. There's a direct relationship between memory consumption and the battery.

It takes me about 2 hours from my house to school. While using twitter, texting , surfing the net on 3G and using other apps. I get to school with between 77%-80% and around 65% if I'm streaming music over bluetooth for the entire 2 hours.

If I notice that when i don't do this, the battery tends to be worst.

MSOdtown

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Omar I'll give that a try. So what your saying is:

Charge till 100% leave the cord in and turn off (is this holding the lock and home key at the same time deal) sorry its a brand new phone?

Pull the cord out and plug back in basically restarting it. And charge again?

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Omar I'll give that a try. So what your saying is:

Charge till 100% leave the cord in and turn off (is this holding the lock and home key at the same time deal) sorry its a brand new phone?

Pull the cord out and plug back in basically restarting it. And charge again?

Yes, charge to 100% then turning it off the normally by holding the Hold button then slide to power off. Then power it back on or plug out the cord and back in again, restarting it automatically. Yep.

Turning off the phone by using the 'kill switch' [ Hold and Home button ] doesn't damage the phone but it's equivalent to pulling the power cord out of your computer without shutting it down properly. It's not suggested you do it unless you have no choice, for example if the Phone locks up.

martind81

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Don't worry too much with your Battery! When having an iPhone for the first time, you just use it a lot more than the normal usage you'll do later :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2