Hello iphone goodbye blackberry

B_Ware

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Been an iPhone addict for about a year now and so far nothing compares to it. Since there are so many pros, I think it'll be easier to name a few cons.
-no flash player
-persistent service problems
-sudden app crashes
-no camera/video flash
-poor service areas
-phone crashes
-expensive apps

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Been an iPhone addict for about a year now and so far nothing compares to it. Since there are so many pros, I think it'll be easier to name a few cons.
-expensive apps

Are you kidding me?? There are plenty of quality apps that are free. Most of the top paid apps range from .99 to 2.99. If that's too much money, you might have the wrong phone.

Boise IT

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
This is going to Ramble a little so sorry in advance.

Just made the switch from Blackberry to iPhone 3Gs. Wife and I had new Bold 9700's and Daughter had a Bold 9000.

Here is why we made the change and the results.

We are a small business with a Blackberry Professional Server (BPS) which is a scaled down BES with NO support or updates coming from RIM. No HTML Email support etc... We have an exchange server so with that, we were left with the choice to do without either true Enterprise email/contacts/calendar wireless sync and get HTML Email, OR... Buy a full blown BB Enterprise server for $3000. PLUS we had to pay $45 per month per line ($15 more per line) for our BB data plan to have the enterprise connectivity at all. If Blackberry had a viable, affordable small business solution, we would never have even considered making a change, but since they don't, we did. We will save $540 per year on data plans over the three lines, we will also have Exchange sync without another resource intensive application running on our server.

When we got our new 9700 Bolds, it seemed like more same ole' same ole'. Nothing really new, same old slow app world, same old BB that we hade been using for the last 5 years. We really expected something more to be coming, but nothing seems to be on the horizon that is really innovative and new.

PROS - Exchange Active Sync, Web Browsing, Applications, Innovation, and Speed. Also, what seems to be a manufacturer who is looking ahead to what the user wants instead of having the, it is what it is attitude that RIM seems to have.

CONS - Typing lerning curve, no single box for multiple email accounts, no multi tasking. Without Jailbreak, can?t change some of the message tones. (All things I can get over).

Bottom line, none of us have any desire to switch back to our Blackberry. We actually sold all three of them on Ebay!

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
CONS - Typing lerning curve, no single box for multiple email accounts, no multi tasking. Without Jailbreak, can?t change some of the message tones. (All things I can get over).

Those are pretty much the same cons I would come up with along with no flash support for Safari.

I hated the virtual keyboard for about a month. But the more I typed on it, the better I got. And with Apple FINALLY introducing landscape mode in OS 3.0, I was able to increase my speed and accuracy.

I love my 3G, even with it's shortcomings. The only way I'll ever upgrade is if Apple comes out with a phone that has significant improvements and upgrades to the UI and hardware.

DainBramage1

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
texting on the iphone is a joke- if you attempt anything near the speed you can reach on a blackberry you get total nonsense. you also have to stare at the screen to type anything close to accurate, making it dangerous for driving. if you use your phone for messaging above anything else, you will count the days until you contract expires and you can go back to a bb, as i do.

As long as you're saddled with your iPhone, try Dragon Dictation. And yeah, texting is dangerous for driving.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
That's not the kind of flash I was referring to.

But the iPhone should have both kinds of flashes

a browser without flash is like a camera without flash Iphone has both of these problems

A camera flash is meant for bright sunny days to fill in light on someone's face when the shade is on them. It's not for taking pics in caves and stuff. If you're outside, just move. No big deal.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
texting on the iphone is a joke- if you attempt anything near the speed you can reach on a blackberry you get total nonsense. you also have to stare at the screen to type anything close to accurate, making it dangerous for driving. if you use your phone for messaging above anything else, you will count the days until you contract expires and you can go back to a bb, as i do.

"...making it dangerous for driving." Ahem...you shouldn't be texting while driving in the first place.

AMEN to that!! Don't think me too rude but you are an Idiot if you text/email and drive! I drive and talk on the phone for a living (Sales). I ONLY use BT (hand-off) earpieces to talk and I NEVER text/email while driving. WAAAAY too dangerous!

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Tell me about it. It's dangerous just driving here in Virginia, much less texting at the same time. These people here in Virginia could wreck a rollercoaster...which is why I stopped going to Busch Gardens. These people couldn't keep their cars on the road if the tires were made of Velcro.

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I once saw a girl driving on the freeway while reading a People magazine at the same time. Amazing how stupid some people can be. No wonder why there's so many accidents on the road.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I bought my first BlackBerry (Pearl 8130 on Verizon) in November 2007. I liked the email aspect, the zippiness of the device (compared to WinMo), and it just worked (rarely had to reset the thing). However, Verizon's signal degraded at my house to the point where I couldn't make a call or browse the web after 8pm. So I jumped to the Bold 9000 (AT&T) on Jan 1st, 2009. I loved the Bold. The full keyboard was much better than the Pearl configuration, and it was fast, had wifi, and AT&T's signal strength was great at home and work. It was pretty customizable with a plethora of themes, etc., and it was a stable device, as expected.

Then the BIS outages started occurring. I did not like the fact that it basically neuters the functionality of the device. Wifi didn't help with email. Compound that with my less than stellar experience with "level 2 RIM support engineers" and I was actively looking for a replacement. (The "engineer" refused to do anything with me because I was running an OS that AT&T released and then pulled 2 weeks later (just because it was causing higher data usage or something than what they wanted - not because it was a bad build). They made me downgrade to a really old version (slow, buggy) before they would continue to talk to me. He also said I had an OS version on the device that wasn't even released for that device (and was impossible to actually install on said device). All-in-all it took about 6 hours on the phone talking to I don't know how many people before they decided I needed a new SIM card.)

I like the interface of the iPhone. It's easy, quick, and provides a much richer experience than the BB. I don't like that I'm confined to buying things just from the AppStore, which seems to use a coin flip to determine if an app is allowed in (unless I JB of course). I thought I'd really miss a physical keyboard, but I've adapted quite easily. The browsing experience is good (and wifi browsing flies (since they're not being proxied through BIS)), and the email works just fine (if a service goes down, it goes down, but doesn't neuter the device like BIS outages usually do). I wish I could connect to more than one Exchange account, but that gives me a reason to NOT hook my personal phone up to my work account. Some things are better left separated. :) There are a lot of cool apps, and they just seem to work better and are more visually appealing than their BB counterparts (I will take performance over eye candy almost any day, but I get both with the iPhone).

I wouldn't call myself an iPhone fanboy or anything. There are many things I would improve (ability to reply to a text message without having to leave my current app being number one), but all in all I've had a good experience thus far (3+ months and counting). My wife is using my BlackBerry (which she seems to prefer to the WinMo device her company provided), and is always asking why my device is just faster. :) I foresee another iPhone in the household in the coming months.

drian

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
A camera flash is meant for bright sunny days to fill in light on someone's face when the shade is on them. It's not for taking pics in caves and stuff. If you're outside, just move. No big deal.

Flash for the camera isn't a big deal compared to flash support for safari

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
hey hey....a fellow virginian......Im in Portsmouth.....liked the comment about drivers here though...you know its supposed to rain all weekend right...you know what that means

Oh my God. AND it's New Year's. Damn! :D I do roadside assistance as my job, so you KNOW I'm gonna be out in that mess! I'm up near Yorktown, btw.

Follow me Twitter if you're on it.:)

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I too will be saying goodbye to Blackberry next week. Getting the 3gs in white and couldn't be more excited! :) This thread helped with all the pros and cons and most cons are things I can live without.

italianangel8131

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
I too will be jumping to the iphone from the blackberry storm in 2011 well it almost 2010 so one year to go yea!! Of course my contract with verizon ends in april 2011. After your contract expires can you stay month to month? so mayb I can hold out getting att until june or july of 2011 so I can get the lastest iphone? will that work can someone advise me. I really don't wanna get a year old phone when a new one coming out.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
That will work! You go month to month after your contract expires, unless you sign up for another promotional deal. At least that's the way it was 10 years ago when I worked for them, right about the time when the Verizon brand name was announced!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal