Hello iphone goodbye blackberry

tgibson

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Bold to 3GS

Completely dedicated to the Bold and bragging about it superiority to the iphone I must confess has been a big mistake of mine. Passing my first iphone purchase onto my wife because I couldn't leave the keyboard of the Bold I thought was the right move. Since the purchase of my new 3GS, my eyes really have been opened up to a new world. There is no comparison. Mobile me is awesome, the apps. are awesome, I control all functions of my home through Control 4 app, it is like have my MacBook in the palm of my hand. The blackberry reminds me of the dos version of an operating system. Sorry Blackberry!

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Hello iphone addicts in a few days im leaving blackberry and getting me a 32g iphone 3gs in white. I was just wondering what are the pros and cons of the iphone? :D

So far the only thing I miss it the battery life on my berry. If you used bbm a lot you might miss it but not that much do to all the IM apps that are free for the iphone. Just about everything else is better on the the iphone then on the berry any berry.

Mysteria

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I tried two Android phones and a BB Curve. The Androids were buggy and I could not stand the Curve for the fact that I do lots of web browsing. Using that trackball was a major inconvenience.

The virtual keyboard on the iPhone 3GS is so much easier to use. I like the interface of the iPhone. I don't really need flash. The only thing I wish I could do with my iPhone is customize the home screen the way I did with the Androids. However, I can live with that. The 3GS seems pretty snappy compared to the 3G I had before.

Good luck with your new iPhone. I hope you love it as much as I do. :)

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
texting on the iphone is a joke- if you attempt anything near the speed you can reach on a blackberry you get total nonsense. you also have to stare at the screen to type anything close to accurate, making it dangerous for driving. if you use your phone for messaging above anything else, you will count the days until you contract expires and you can go back to a bb, as i do.

Okay I have to say, DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE EVER ON ANY PHONE. The Blackberry is just as bad when it comes to that. Sorry to jump on you but your reasoning is a joke and I can type almost as fast on my 3gs as I could on my Curve.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Okay I have to say, DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE EVER ON ANY PHONE. The Blackberry is just as bad when it comes to that. Sorry to jump on you but your reasoning is a joke and I can type almost as fast on my 3gs as I could on my Curve.

I hope you're not expecting to hear back from him. It's quite possible he had an unfortunate encounter with a telephone poll while typing his reply. ;)

dragonsgoalie

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone totally ROCKS!!! Everything it does is killer. The only things I wish for, would be flash support (For the life of me, I cant figure out why they don't have it...) and player/converter for wmv (Unjailbroken), so I can watch all the stupid video emails I get.....

Verizon Sucks, and Droid BLOWS!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

cajunrph

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
I started out with a BlackBerry Bold on the recomendations of the Salesman at Best Buy. He must have been a Crackberry member. He pointed out the BBM feature of the phone. Which is sort of neat but only functional with another BlackBerry. I found someone on Craigslist who wanted to trade a Bold for a 3G so I switched. I was happy with everything but the lock down mentality of Apple. So I jailbroke th phone to get the video recording it should have shipped with to begin with. And added other neat features. All was good till Apple releases a new OS and I couldn't jailbreak it easy. I got pissed and switched back to a Bold. I kept happy by doing what the Bold did best, which is messaging and e-mail mostly. Then I started to look at android phones as a way to switch carriers and save some money. I knew I could switch but my wife loves her iPhone so much that the android phone would need to be top noch to get her to switch. The first phone I tried was the Palm Pre which was very good in it's notification aspects. Probally the best out there. One thing Apple needs to work on in 4.0. But the Pre's downfall was it's piss poor battery life. That and no video camera. On came the HTC Hero which was very cool but also very SLOW. My wife has a 3Gs so any replacement phone would need to be fast. So back goes the Hero. And out the drawer came my old iPhone. Just to play around with over the Holiday. Well I updated it to 3.0 (was running 2.1 due to me not wanting to lose the jailbreaking) and jailbroke it all within 30 minutes. So now instead of me looking for the next iPhone killer I'm looking for the next iPhone. So after this long story I'll list the pros and cons of the two.
BlackBerry
Pros:
E-mail and messaging.
Fast
That red light that just calls you always (They are not called Crackberrys for nothing)

Cons:
Sub par web browser
Memory limit problem and memory leaks
Not as cutting edge as other Smartphone OS

iPhone
Pros:
Gameing
multimedia
web browsing
texting and e-mailing once you get the hang of it and trust the predictive text.

Cons:
Apples over dominating control of the OS
Notification system
No video camera (on the 2G and 3G)
No changing up the looks of the icons

But here is the ticker. All of my cons can be fixed by Jailbreaking the phone. There is no way to fix the BB cons. So I think you will ne thrilled with your iPhone. Best of luck with it.

Last edited:

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I, too, just switched over from BlackBerrys. I had the Bold and she had the Pearl.

I have had a BlackBerry by my side since the 8700 came out and I have loved every second of it. Honestly, they keyboard is what slowed me down from switching sooner. There isn't a keyboard on any other phone that will beat what the BlackBerry offers. I could text faster without looking on a BlackBerry than I could type on a computer. I'm slowly getting faster and more accurate typing on an iPhone but it is taking me some time.

My thoughts and comparisons for what it's worth:

Screen: Advantage iPhone.

The screen of the iPhone is so much better in almost every aspect: color, clarity, rotation speed (compared to the Storm), response to touch, etc.

Form Factor: Advantage BlackBerry.

I prefer the thickness of the BlackBerry over the "thinness" of the iPhone. It's nothing that a case can't help out with though.

Typing: Advantage BlackBerry.

RIM has the best keyboards of any of the top phones available. They are small enough to be compact and big enough to easily type on them.

Web Browsing: Advantage iPhone.

This isn't even close. The iPhone blows away BlackBerry in web browsing. Safari is so much faster than what BlackBerry can offer including any 3rd party browsers. I used Bolt because it was such a pain to browse the web on the BB browser.

E-mail: Advantage BlackBerry.

BlackBerry is #1 when it comes to email. My Gmail was sent to my phone as soon as it hit my inbox. Even though email is not a priority for me, it was nice to have them instantly on my phone. With my iPhone I have to go to my email folder to have them pushed to my phone. But like I said, it's not a priority for me, but I know it is for many others.

Entertainment: Advantage iPhone.

Which would you prefer to use to listen to music: an iPod or a generic MP3 player made by SanDisk? That's about like comparing listening to music on an iPhone and a BlackBerry.

Apps: Advantage iPhone.

App Store is much, much better than App World. Navigating, download speeds and the overall user interface is so much better in the App Store. BlackBerry does have some good apps out and are slowly catching up to what the iPhone offers.

Battery Life: Advantage BlackBerry.

Not even close, BlackBerry OWNS in this comparison. I was a VERY heavy user of my Bold and would have 40% of my battery left at the end of the day. The battery of the iPhone doesn't come close to lasting as long. I have to plug my iPhone in at some point during the day for atleast an hour to make sure my battery doesn't die on me. I'm considering buying the Mophie Juice Pack case at Best Buy for $80 to help with the battery situation.

Just my opinin of the iPhone and BlackBerry.

Hauser3

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I also came over from a BB. The only thing I miss about that is the indicator light, and the customization. I know I can customize it if I jailbreak, but I don't want to do that right now. I'm in love with my iPhone now though, and I don't think I'll ever own another phone. Hopefully a new model with give us an indicator.

NotHomer

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I recently switched from a Curve 8900. The only things that I am missing so far from the BB world, are the red "you got mail" LED, the ability to create tasks that can alert/remind and the battery life.

I have to admit that the email LED on the BB was more distracting than I thought now that I have been away from it. Still it would be nice to not have to unlock the phone to determine if you have any email or text messages.

I know that there are task and reminder apps out there. But I didn't have to buy/install them on the BB.

I frequently had to plug my Curve in during the day. One of the reasons for the battery drain is I am on the road a lot and always have the Bluetooth on when driving, thus using more battery. So charging during the day is nothing new to me.

I absolutely love the screen size of the iPhone as well as the web surfing. After only a couple of weeks, I stumble more on the Curve than I do the iPhone.

MJC

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a free BB Tour for my job and I had been using it as my personal device as well. I finally gave in and added an iPhone 3GS for personal use (I am a lifelong Mac user). It was one of my best decisions ever! The BB is relegated to a business tool (which it is good at) and I can't put down the iPhone!

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I just made the switch last week. I went from a Storm 2 to my new Iphone and I love it so far.....

Welcome to the iPhone, you are going to wonder how you put up with that dammed clicking screen. LOL Hope you love it I know you will.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I just made the switch last week. I went from a Storm 2 to my new Iphone and I love it so far.....

You just made the switch? Are you worried about a new iphone coming out in a few months? I have been dragging my feet on the switch for a few reasons.

Instant mail. I also have the itouch and I can see first hand how slow the apple mail system is
No mail notification. I would miss the red light
And finally, I am concerned that as soon as I switch over, Apple will announce the new iphone. I will then be stuck with last years device for 2 years.

I guess the other reason is cost, I keep hoping the iphone drops a little in price. I will be paying a EFT for both my line and my wifes, then we both have to buy new iphones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2