8 email accts., some Push, some Fetch only!??!

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
My MobileMe account is naturally push everything, but I also have a Hotmail, 2 AOL, 2 Gmail, and 1 Yahoo account.

Yahoo is the only other one that ALSO supports PUSH! Or does it just say that?

Sorry, still a bit of a newbie with getting non-BlackBerry's to Push emails, (...and sometimes calendars, etc.)

So what's so special about Yahoo that there is Push available? And how do I get an Exchange account for the others? Gmail is special in yet another way I've read. It is still a mystery as to why, though, and how I might benefit from setting it up in a different way still.

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
If you have a 3Gs with the latest OS, you'll have Exchange as an option when adding email accounts.

I say you should merge all your email addresses, to Gmail. And just use that one account in Exchange.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Yahoo offers push, so do lots of other email servers. Unfortunately, the iPhone doesn't take advantage of push with anything but one Exchange server and/or MobileMe.

It's one of the things they really need to work on.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
This is normal. Push requires the back end to do the pushing. It uses activesync

blackberries required you to let your email go through their servers for push to work

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to all of you. I have my Gmail account set up with Push, and it takes all of a few seconds for emails to arrive after they are sent. Wow...

And Yahoo, which also powers the att.net emails are Push out of the box! Nice! Just like MobileMe, which I have now gotten rid of, as I never needed it anyway. Exchange is great, but to limit us to one Exchange account on the iPhone is silly, but I am sold on the device now. Everything is up to snuff with very few glitches, albeit jailbreaking is definitely necessary to get the full potential out of this powerful device.

I use AOL and Windows Live Hotmail as well, which I have not figured out as to how to get them to push as of yet. iTunes even has a special logon solution for AOL members. Does Apple think that most AOL members need their hands held throughout the iPhone wonderland? I was hoping it would also mean that there might be a Push solution. And what's with Hotmail. I'm thinking of ditching it and kind of am already in the process of moving my "serious" emailing to Gmail.

Finally, Yahoo. Push without any configuration necessary. Is it just coincidence that Yahoo users get their emails Pushed vs. any of the other popular web email services, or was there a decision made on the part of Apple, Yahoo (--> Microsoft?), or whomever else??

Sorry for the 20 questions, but seriously, what do you guys think? ;)

Thanks again! It's fun to finally like the iPhone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't really want to create a new thread on the same issue but I'm having all kinds
of trouble with my two Yahoo accounts that used to PUSH flawlessly. For the last
month or so it hasn't been good at all. Not using MobileMe or Exchange so I'm sure
it's using ActiveSync, right?

I'm really baffled. I've done everything from removing and adding the accounts back
to actually restoring my phone which was a pain since I'm jailbroken. And no, I do not
have the unlock sn0w tool installed since I don't need the phone to be unlocked.

Any ideas or suggestions guys?? :confused:

Rich

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Exchange is great, but to limit us to one Exchange account on the iPhone is silly ...

I've wondered if this is due to a licensing issue. I know there are some devices that allow multiple Exchange accounts, but most of the phones I've had in the past only allowed one. It was one of the reasons I used the AT&T Tilt prior to getting a 3GS. The Tilt allowed me to use one Exchange account and Blackberry Connect for three additional Push email accounts.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Finally, Yahoo. Push without any configuration necessary. Is it just coincidence that Yahoo users get their emails Pushed vs. any of the other popular web email services, or was there a decision made on the part of Apple, Yahoo (--> Microsoft?), or whomever else??

when you setup an account as an exchange account it's using the activesync protocol via a http(s) connection (the email data is sent that way, it's not really a web page). push works because of a quasi-active connection that http allows. essentially it's a combination of assuming your phone is available until found otherwise and a way for the phone to connect back if it changes locations (new IP address) so the server can update it's end.

fetch accounts use pop or imap, which do not have these capabilities. it's a one time connection (on a schedule).

the companies with push setup activesync to work on their network. it's more than just flipping a switch. on the provider end it's something that just works without any special setup since it's just a http connection.

comparing it to a blackberry, with BIS you're giving RIM access to your email account. they take the email from your account and use their blackberry push server to send it to your phone. the provider has to be setup to offer blackberry services as it's a special protocol.

for activesync the provider needs to setup and manage the push servers. for blackberries RIM does.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner