'Flash'...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I was just reading about the possibility of a new iPhone, and the possibility of it having 5MP camera.

But, begs the question. Why does the iPhone NOT have flash? Are there apps that people are using to assist with that?

Just curious...

POP3Y3

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
There's one called Flash for Free. Just brightens up the picture. The finished product isn't the greatest though. There are probably others I'm sure.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
If they start putting more focus on the camera aspect of the phone ( which I think they started to on the 3GS and will probably continue to do as the iPhone evolves ) I think the next logical step is a flash/light to help with the really low light shots. It's not something they can ignore for too long or it will be the bane of the iPhone camera when all other "equivalent" smart phones have a flash.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Glowing Apple Logo that can double as notification light and triple as flash.

They'd sell 2 million the first weekend just announcing that.

APPLE MAKE IT HAPPEN!

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I think Apple's idea is that the flash would use too much battery and people would complain about the phone running out of juice too fast. Same thing we hear with the background apps.

So they would rather have people complain that a feature isn't there and if it's that important to them to just buy another phone vs hearing all the complaints about the phone shutting off after taking hundreds of pictures at night.

Apple is working hard on battery technology and I think the next huge breakthrough will be a battery that last a lot longer than we are used to which will then give us all these "missing" features.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
the flash in most camera phones are really poor quality light sources coming from an LED. do you really see Apple putting something poorly done in their phone?

a real flash is a capaciter basically sparking a tube of gas

Last edited:

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Apple will do what they also do. Sit on a simple thing for a while, then make it amazing. Cut and Paste for instance.

I say the next iteration will have an upgraded camera system, as in a higher resolution camera which is obvious, but I would like to see optical or digital zoom, preferably optical if it is even possible, and flash.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I think the battery would decrease a lot faster. I had the LG Shine when it first came out and every time I used the camera I would notice the battery deplete a lot faster.

Even using the iPhone camera without flash the battery goes down.

Maybe it's one of those features they've been trying to run away from, until they figure out a low power but effective flash.

drian

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I think the battery would decrease a lot faster. I had the LG Shine when it first came out and every time I used the camera I would notice the battery deplete a lot faster.

Even using the iPhone camera without flash the battery goes down.

Maybe it's one of those features they've been trying to run away from, until they figure out a low power but effective flash.

Using apps uses the battery more... but we should at least have the option to use/have a flash if we want, in my opinion.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know of another phone that doesn't have a camera flash? Besides, LED's are very bright these days, the LED on my little old K750 was bright enough to light up an entire room and take pictures in total darkness. With so many apps making use of the iphone's camera, it's about time they give us one that not only takes much better pictures, but can do so in low light conditions!

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
My crappy blackberry pearl had a flash, and I don't think it noticebly depleted the battery because I didn't take that many pictures with it at one time anyway. What I really liked using it for was as a flashlight if you kept it on as a setting for video. It blew away the flashlight apps that you get on the iPhone.

Apple should at least offer a camera flash and if the user decides to disable it to conserve the battery, they can toggle it off. While we're talking about flash, how bout adobe flash support too?! Lol.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Using apps uses the battery more... but we should at least have the option to use/have a flash if we want, in my opinion.

I agree we should have the option but when people realize how much of an impact the flash has on the battery they won't even use the flash. Then that might lead people not using the camera at all.

Others might not feel that way but that's how I felt about the Shine. I stopped using the camera.

On top of that , people will begin to complain even more about the battery as they did when the iPhone got 3G in 2008.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal