New to iPhone and wifi

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello all.

Please put your flame throwers down. I didn't see this mentioned in the iPhone 101 or 'Read this before posting'. Tried a couple of search terms but didn't get a specific enough hit.

I want to set up wifi in my house to cut down on carrier data usage.
I know nada about wifi.

Can anyone suggest:

a. An article or website where I can read up on it?

b. What sort of iPhone specific things do I need to know before I go out and buy something that isn't compatible?

I mostly use my iPhone for web browsing, and compared to my BB Curve, I'm using 5 times as much data per day on the Telus HSPA network as I did on CDMA.

Thanks in advance. :)

g1r_g3n1us

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
1. Dont get a ****ty wifi router. invest in a good one, doesnt have to be THE TOP, but it should be able to outlast whatevers out there. I suggest: Belkin N1. I use this one, and even though its a newer 802.11n it works flawlessly with my iPhone,ps3,laptops.. extremely fast connection time, and 100% network usage. im talkin my entire 15mpbs(i know i know slow as sharting).

Newegg (click the link above) is a great site for computer shopping, but you can find that router and any other router at bestbuy, compusa(if they havent closed in your area), sometimes even Target and Walmart have the good brands.. other than that you could do a google search for: Top 10 wireless routers

Last edited:

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
1. Dont get a ****ty wifi router. invest in a good one, doesnt have to be THE TOP, but it should be able to outlast whatevers out there. I suggest: Belkin N1. I use this one, and even though its a newer 802.11n it works flawlessly with my iPhone,ps3,laptops.. extremely fast connection time, and 100% network usage. im talkin my entire 15mpbs(i know i know slow as sharting).
Belkin is extremely low end. Notice the reviews on the linked Belkin is mostly in the 1 star range.

Look at Linksys. Cisco bought them to be their consumer brand. I've configured Cisco's highest end access points and Linksys equipment and their equipment is good.

The critical thing you need to decide is if you want to replace your existing router with one that has wireless as well or if you want an access point that basically connects to your existing router and extends your network to wireless. the former is more common

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Linksys is known for NAT issues. I'd go with the Belkin or Netgear. Any router should work with your iPhone as even the newest N routers still support b and g devices so compatibility should not be an issue at all.

You could also call your ISP. They might lease you a router for very cheap (mine is $1/month from Comcast) and come and set it up for you for free.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. After reading them, I googled 'wifi for dummies' and found a couple of good tutorials that gave me a basic understanding of what I need to do.

For now I'm going to stick with wireless g for cost. Whenever I finally get a laptop, I'll upgrade the router to wireless n if the laptop supports it.

Thanks for the quick replies.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I've had no issues with my Linksys (not sure if I got the turbocharged G or the N series, but I've had it a little over a year). It has good range, too. I put a Belkin in my parents' house, and I have to reboot it every time I visit (which isn't too often, so I don't really know how long inbetween reboots it really is). The Netgear I had previously had major signal strength issues (very limited range for some reason), and I had to reboot it at least once a week.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Well so far so good. I found a refurb Linksys at TigerDirect for under $40, taxes in. Hopefully it lasts.

My Telus data usage has plummeted. Thanks again.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73