Why is it when I have an image that I saved from Safari in the camera roll I cannot connect to the DCIM folder via USB?

As soon as I delete the saved images Windows Explorer works again. Is there a work around?
    12-12-2009 11:01 PM
    The what folder?
    12-13-2009 01:46 PM
    what are you trying to do? get a picture off your iphone?? just plug your phone in, wait for it to backup, then go look at the backup if your having issues with USB. why is your computer freezing?

Have you gone through your USB before? If you have a 3G or 3GS(not sure on 2G's),
    you need to get the SSH package to make your phone able to SSH through USB (that includes afc2add. do a cydia/rock search youll find it.)

Another option would be to take your entire dcim folder to your desktop :O then you can open it without being in your SSH program. drag and drop buddy.
    Last edited by g1r_g3n1us; 12-13-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: corrections
    12-13-2009 02:29 PM
    Oh, actually the computer is not frozen. It's just that I normally can browse the picture folder when connected via USB through Windows Explorer. However if I have any pictures that I have saved/copied while I was in Safari, Windows Explorer will not see the iPhone as a device. I'm still able to sync to iTunes but windows explorer doesn't see it.

The only way to see the phone via windows explorer is to delete the images saved from safari.

Weird.

Can someone with Windows go to Safari on the iPhone, save an image then try to connect via USB and see if you can explore the pictures folder via windows explorer?

Btw. I have the 3GS running Windows 7. But I gave seen this issue with my Vista machines too.
    12-13-2009 02:59 PM
    Also, I'm not jailbroken.
    12-13-2009 03:00 PM
    Official windows 7 help thread

did you try looking for your question in there first? From what i know, i thought the DCIM folder was for Camera Photos, and the Photos folder was for All Photos.. have you tried looking in the other (though limited) folders for your mysterious picture?
    Last edited by g1r_g3n1us; 12-13-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: im a n00b who types toofastez
    12-13-2009 03:26 PM
    DCIM is brand specific. Nikon only I believe, as my D300 has this folder. The iphone does not use this term at all since you're not navigating a directory structure. In fact, Windows does not either. It's the camera that is making it.

rijc99- are you trying to save them directly to the phone? If so, then not seeing the phone is normal. You have to save them to a destination on your computer and then select the folder/files in itunes and sync them that way.

The reason you can see the photos to download is because Windows has a special program which can connect to cameras like the iphone camera. It is not setting it up as a drive you can save files to.
    Last edited by flyingember; 12-13-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    12-13-2009 04:15 PM
    Both Windows and the iPhone - especially in that combination - use the term DCIM. It is the folder to which I navigate when browsing the images in my camera roll when connecting to my iPhone via USB.
    12-13-2009 05:04 PM
    DCIM is brand specific. Nikon only I believe, as my D300 has this folder. The iphone does not use this term at all since you're not navigating a directory structure. In fact, Windows does not either. It's the camera that is making it.
    DCIM is not "Brand specific".... its on everything from Canon to Olympus, to crappy CVS store bought.

you should try clearing your cache, and making the files smaller. You might still want to be peeking around in all the folders just to make sure its not saving in a stupid place..
    12-13-2009 05:48 PM
    DCIM is not "Brand specific".... its on everything from Canon to Olympus, to crappy CVS store bought.

you should try clearing your cache, and making the files smaller. You might still want to be peeking around in all the folders just to make sure its not saving in a stupid place..
    She asked how she could save directly to the iPhone and from the statement that syncing worked I assumed she knew how to save and sync

the cache doesn't affect saving. If it's caches or not it can be saved
    12-13-2009 11:33 PM
    Both Windows and the iPhone - especially in that combination - use the term DCIM. It is the folder to which I navigate when browsing the images in my camera roll when connecting to my iPhone via USB.
    By default windows sets up the iPhone as a read only camera

isn't yours very modified?
    12-13-2009 11:35 PM
    Uh, there seems to be some confusion as to what I am experiencing.

Normally, I...
    1. Plug the phone in via USB.
    2. In iTunes, my iphone shows up and I can sync, backup, restore, etc.
    3. If I navigate to "My Computer" via "Windows File Explorer" I can see my iphone.
    4. If I double click my iphone via Windows Explorer I can go to the DCIM folder and copy pictures that were taken using my phone.

Now, what happened is I went to Safari. Went to Autoblog. Saw a picture I liked, held down on the image and selected SAVE IMAGE. The image was then saved to my camera roll. I want to copy this picture out to my computer using USB by, again, navigating to the DCIM folder. Which I've been able to do before. Except now... when I connect the USB cable, iTunes sees the phone but it no longer shows up in "My Computer" in "Windows Explorer" as a device. Since it does not show up as a device, I cannot access the DCIM folder. I can still sync, restore, backup via iTunes. But I cannot access the DCIM folder to copy ANY images.

If I delete the image saved from Safari, I can connect again... everything returns to normal and I can see it as a device.

Hope this clears things up.
    12-14-2009 01:03 AM
    when I connect the USB cable, iTunes sees the phone but it no longer shows up in "My Computer" in "Windows Explorer" as a device.
    I believe this is normal. itunes is loading a special driver that makes it not show up as a device.

I plugged my iphone into a windows 7 box and it didn't show up period but I didn't open itunes

in windows xp it shows up as a read only camera for me even with itunes open
    Last edited by flyingember; 12-14-2009 at 09:55 AM.
    12-14-2009 09:44 AM
    But if I delete the image that I saved from Safari from the camera roll I can access the phone via USB as a read only camera folder in windows 7.
    Last edited by rijc99; 12-14-2009 at 10:51 AM.
    12-14-2009 10:23 AM
    Sounds more like the file is corrupt than anything.
    12-14-2009 11:20 AM
    Sounds more like the file is corrupt than anything.
    if it's the same image causing the problem every time I agree with this.
    12-14-2009 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD