Syncing Contacts

Mona

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Please HELP!!! Me and my boyfriend use the same a laptop. We both have our own itunes account but every time I plug in my Iphone it syncs his contacts to my phone.:confused: Please if anyone can give me some advice it would just be the GREATEST:D Thank you so very much in advance.;)
Mona

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Option one: One of you will need to not sync your contacts to the computer... sounds like that should be you. Next time you plug in your iPhone, if it immediately starts syncing, cancel it. Then uncheck syncing contacts in the info tab. You can also uncheck the box to "automatically sync when this iPhone is connected" if you want.

Option two: You can create two separate contact groups ahead of time. On your computer (Outlook for PC, Contacts for Mac) make a group for your contacts and one for your boyfriend's contacts. Then in the info tab make sure you choose to only sync the group of your contacts for your iPhone and similarly for his iPhone.

Hope I'm making sense.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Another option would be to set up your contacts in a service like Google or MobileMe. You could each have your own account and sync independently to each iPhone.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Another option would be to set up your contacts in a service like Google or MobileMe. You could each have your own account and sync independently to each iPhone.

note that Google will only sync contacts if you use Activesync. Not an option if one of them uses it for work via Exchange

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
If they had an Exchange server with work, I'd recommend they use that for contacts! :)

I wouldn't. When you leave the company, especially with a last minute firing or layoff, you will lose all your contacts when they remote wipe your phone. and I can tell you that companies do remote wipe phones even if it's a personal one. if they're nice and they make you manually remove the exchange setup you still lose them

I strictly segregate work and business contacts and keep my personal ones in a personal source.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't. When you leave the company, especially with a last minute firing or layoff, you will lose all your contacts when they remote wipe your phone. and I can tell you that companies do remote wipe phones even if it's a personal one. if they're nice and they make you manually remove the exchange setup you still lose them

I strictly segregate work and business contacts and keep my personal ones in a personal source.
How I combat the possibility of data loss from leaving the company is using CompanionLink to sync calendar & contacts with Google, and then Soocial to backup Google data.

Segregating is a difference of opinion. I prefer to have all in one place. I've tried separating our personal and business, but found the best way for me is to apply a category to each contact.

g1r_g3n1us

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

I actually am an administrator of one of our Blackberry enterprise servers and I can confirm that we wipe every handheld as soon as we get the word that they have left the company, usually within the first 2 hours of them getting off their last shift.

degato34

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Contacts

Hello everyone.
I'm new to this site - only registered today and - and this is my first post.
I've purchased a 3GS iphone and am trying to set it up. First of all I tried to transfer photos but found that it transferred everything and after some difficulty I deleted all these on the phone. Now I have to select the ones that I want and put them in a new file and trans. that to the phone.
I tried to transfer all my contacts. The names transferred but not the phone numbers. I'm a bit stumped at the moment so if anyone has some useful suggestions I would be grateful.

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
How did you try to sync your contacts? Do you have outlook or are you using GMail or are you pulling your contacts from another sim card?

DainBramage1

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
First of all I tried to transfer photos but found that it transferred everything and after some difficulty I deleted all these on the phone. Now I have to select the ones that I want and put them in a new file and trans. that to the phone.

I'm not sure how others here do it, but I've got a folder on my hard drive called PhotoAlbums (could be called anything you want), which has other folders with image files in them. With your iPhone connected to your computer:
1. go into iTunes
2. click on your iPhone under Devices in the left column
3. go to the Photos tab
4. turn on Sync Photos and choose the folder that stores your photos
5. decide whether to sync from all sub-folders or specific ones
6. File/Sync your iPhone

I tried to transfer all my contacts. The names transferred but not the phone numbers. I'm a bit stumped at the moment so if anyone has some useful suggestions I would be grateful.

Like big9erfan said, this will depend on whether you are trying to transfer by syncing or from an existing SIM card. Hopefully you are syncing (which will be what you are aiming for anyway), do 1 & 2 as above, then:
3. go to the Info tab
4. turn on Sync Contacts and choose appropriate address book type
5. decide all or some
6. File/Sync

Hope that helps, and Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of iPhone!! :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal