Trying to convert iPhone to iTouch in South Africa

AMVMommy

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey-

I gave an American iPhone 3G to my inlaws in South Africa. There is no sim card installed but we were able to set up a new iTunes account and download apps and such this week. However, my husband updated it to 3.1.2 this afternoon and now is says:

No sim card installed - Need to install a valid SIM with no PIN lock to activate iPhone.

Also has a graphic of a cord to plug into ITunes.

If I press the Info button, I get
IMEI:
01 147200 685683 3

ICCID:
Unknown

Got any ideas? I don't want to jailbreak it, just use it as an iTouch so don't see why I need a SIM card. Any help would be appreciated. I'm flying back to the States this evening!!!!!!

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BUt I don't want to use it as an iPhone, just as an iTouch. Is there a way to reverse the upgrade possibly?

AMVMommy

it's not the upgrade. it's the lack of a sim card. if you downgrade this will still be missing.

the only thing I've heard of is called hacktivation but I believe Apple did something that broke these phones

AMVMommy

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It was working without the sim card before my husband upgraded to 3.1.2. Apparently one of the games his nephews wanted needed the upgrade. What will jailbreaking it do? Any way to un-upgrade?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro