I was reading another message earlier and made me think to test my 3G and Wi-Fi speeds using speedtest (This isn't an app type thread, please don't move). So I ran the test back to back after freeing memory and leaving nothing open but SpeedTest and phone, (Ipod,mail etc was closed and not running)

Wi-Fi .83 Mbps download
    3G 1.60 Mbps download

Wi-Fi .94 Mbps upload
    3G .24 Mbps upload

My 3G has 5 bars and my Wi-Fi is about 15-20 feet away from my phone. With a total of 5 computers plus my phone on that router.

Now are these numbers strange. Or are they normal. I never knew the wi-fi upload speed was so much higher than 3G.

Josh
    12-02-2009 03:05 PM
    The wifi speeds would be dependent upon what ISP the wifi is connected to. Many have asynchronous connections where uploads are very very slow compared to download speeds. Also, I've found that the SpeedTest servers are sometimes just overwhelmed or there's network congestion preventing it from displaying proper numbers. Sometimes, it doesn't let me connect to any server geographically close to where I am. Funny enough, it changes based on whether I'm 3G or wifi. So, I wouldn't place a whole lot of stock in what SpeedTest reports, personally.
    12-02-2009 04:42 PM
    The ISP that the wifi is coming from might be having issues. Run a speed test on one of the PCs connected to the network and see what kind of speeds they get.
    12-02-2009 05:46 PM
    OK I went to download.com and downloaded "Broadband Speed test" and used that on the pc and than my iphone with SpeedTest. Both were converted in Kbps.

PC - Download 900 kbps
    Upload 514 kbps

Iphone - Download 394 kbps
    Upload 887 kbps

Still the Iphone is showing a huge upload speed still greatly larger than a 3g upload. Iphone currently has 150 mb of available memory according to my sbs toggle.
    12-03-2009 12:41 PM
    3g speeds can vary
    wifi speeds can vary
    the connection behind both can vary

there is no standard for the speed of your connection

then add in traffic shaping, QOS, shared connections, load levels, security devices and the like and even a single connection can have varying speeds throughout the day
    12-03-2009 05:00 PM
    flyingember,

While you're correct, comparing a desktop download speeds on the same network as the iPhone SHOULD yield somewhat comparable results when done over an extended period of time. MustangLife seems to have consistently slower speeds on the iPhone than elsewhere.

On my home network my iPhone ( using Speedtest ) shows very similar results to my desktop. At work, I'm connected to different networks so it's not a valid test.

Mustang, do you know anyone else with a wireless device that could test speeds with you? Perhaps there is signal interference and changing the router to a different channel would help.
    12-03-2009 05:16 PM
    Maybe it's an older router. My wireless internet was pretty crappy with the old router. With the newer one wireless and wired are identical speeds, including my 3GS.

Here's a screen shot of my home wireless connection btw:
    Last edited by Hockey_Player37; 12-03-2009 at 11:17 PM.
    12-03-2009 05:46 PM
    No other wireless devices to test speeds. We're a staff of 3 on most days. The wireless was installed about 2 months ago. I'm assuming its a new router. It looks pretty damn cool, lol.
    12-04-2009 12:14 PM
    Maybe it's an older router. My wireless internet was pretty crappy with the old router. With the newer one wireless and wired are identical speeds, including my 3GS.

Here's a screen shot of my home wireless connection btw:
    Here is what I got at home on speedtest with a cable modem, gotta love cable. Its kinda off topic since its not 3g or wi-fi. But still

12-04-2009 12:15 PM
    flyingember,

While you're correct, comparing a desktop download speeds on the same network as the iPhone SHOULD yield somewhat comparable results when done over an extended period of time. MustangLife seems to have consistently slower speeds on the iPhone than elsewhere.
    which may be 100% accurate

it's different software. it's not an apples to apples comparison

network stacks can easily be different between both devices. interference levels are going to be different meaning the devices could easily be negotiating different wifi speeds. Apple could purposefully minimize the speed it connects at if there's heavy CPU load or low on memory to store incoming data and keep the connection snappy.

the test itself could be faulty, using techniques optimized for a PC
    12-04-2009 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD