i phone rebuild

marinegrh

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
ok, new to this site so bare with me:D

broke i phone 3 times.
breakdown:
1. dropped phone on tile floor, results in broken glass and digitizer, easily replaced with the help of the internet and some videos found online. be careful though cause there are more screws than you think and if not careful will cost you a lcd also. but over all a $15 dollar fix without the lcd. I dont know if I can post what videos I watched and where I ordered my parts but i will be more than happy to share if i can

2. digitizer, another 18 smackaroos, most companies want a full skin to buy the part but the " River that begins with an A " has lots of parts. And the shipping is as fast at a GTO old skool. Easily replaced lcd but carefull again about those dang screws, no wonder these things are built elsewhere.

3. sync/charge port. now this was the cheapest part of all at a cost of less than a Happy Meal at Mc'D's but more of a pain in the a@# than a hemi install in a YUGO haha...anyways that little badboy has to be soldered in to some circuit board and speaker assembly that you need eagle eyes to see. but about an hour later after unsoldering the old part and soldering the new part. Whamo, works like it should.

4. Lasty my phone just up and quit working altogether today. No Menu/Home button, no sound, no sync, no nuttin. So before I bought anyhting this time I didnt need I took the phone apart completely and disconnected every connector and just litely blew the funk and lint out of it. A-slapped it back together and like magic. up and running. I dont know what caused it to stop working but it all good to go now until I do something stupid with it. I did hear that Apple stores will replace a iphone for about 2 bills no questions asked if it becomes damaged and unrepairable. Im into my rebuild for about 45 bucks with shipping. So if you read this and need help I might be able to help you with something. Ill check this post often so peace out

twister60

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
we're of the same. I've been building iPods forever, and recently my 3GS stopped responding. Get this: I blew, with my breath into the dock port to see if it was lint, which tripped the water sensor so when I took it to apple they wouldnt help ($200 for a refurb, they can choke on it). Half hour later, I take it apart and whattaya know; Theres manufacturing residue and debris, all over the contact pads.

I have 3 new 3GS' - two have had issues. it seems every new apple product requires the user to rebuild the device from scratch....

I think Ill make a guide, showing the internals and where all the debris sits.

Apple' first batch of iPhones was sold out for months. So this new batch is being mass-produced (think 10 million) without much Quality Control.

Therefore when a small issue cripples the device, even only 1 in 10, it affects millions of devices.

I'd rather wait a month for a better device than have to suffer with this crApple.

Last edited:

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
we're of the same. I've been building iPods forever, and recently my 3GS stopped responding. Get this: I blew, with my breath into the dock port to see if it was lint, which tripped the water sensor so when I took it to apple they wouldnt help ($200 for a refurb, they can choke on it). Half hour later, I take it apart and whattaya know; Theres manufacturing residue and debris, all over the contact pads.

I don't believe this. my phone is next to the shower regularly and I haven't triggered it yet.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I could see that happening. I bought my iPhone used and later noticed the case was scratched, dust under the screen and case was cracked so I decided since it was still under warranty to take it in to the Apple Store. I'm a little anal so always use a air blower to blow pocket dust and lint out of the dock connector and headphone jack. Well when I took it in to the Apple store they said the sensors were tripped in the dock AND headphone jack. I can't say what happend to the phone before it became mine but the fact that both places I used the compressed air had tripped sensors made me suspicious. So I'm 50/50 on this, does anyone wanna try it with their new phone to test the hypothesis :D

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I could see that happening. I bought my iPhone used and later noticed the case was scratched, dust under the screen and case was cracked so I decided since it was still under warranty to take it in to the Apple Store. I'm a little anal so always use a air blower to blow pocket dust and lint out of the dock connector and headphone jack. Well when I took it in to the Apple store they said the sensors were tripped in the dock AND headphone jack. I can't say what happend to the phone before it became mine but the fact that both places I used the compressed air had tripped sensors made me suspicious. So I'm 50/50 on this, does anyone wanna try it with their new phone to test the hypothesis :D

compressed air is super cooled when it comes out. this causes the water to condense/freeze on the can. the same thing happens when you spray canned air at the phone. spray it onto a glass surface

ones breath, however, is not the same thing

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro