Hi everyone, about a month ago I figured I'd give iPhone a try. I've been on BlackBerry for about four years. I wanted to try the iPhone because BlackBerry is well, kind of boring. However, Exchange support wasn't as good as BlackBerry, neither was is Yahoo email.

Email was my main complaint with the iPhone. I hated that the email app had to access data to load the message. This was really annoying in a low signal area. Also, when I'm sending and receiving at the same time it would seem to get bogged down. Sometimes it would take forever to load a message. It didn't seem to matter if I was in full 3G signal or low Edge. Has anyone else had these problems? There were also delivery issues with my Yahoo account. More often than not, I wouldn't get notification for new Yahoo mail until I opened the mail app. Anyone else had trouble with this or has it improved over the last couple of weeks?

I liked Safari, apps, SMSing and the touch screen a lot. It is just a fun phone. Not sure what to do here. Push me back over to the iPhone camp.
    11-23-2009 05:32 PM
    I have never had that type of issue with yahoo since yahoo is push email , and now that gmail works through exchange it works the best . So I would suggest to get a Gmail account and try the Iphone again and come back to the good side .
    11-23-2009 08:18 PM
    Exchange is reserved for work. Kind of have to since they front most of my bill. You can't have more than one account set up through exchange can you? Or can I just set it up through the Gmail setup option?

I think I might like it better this time since I'll fully be able to appreciate having good apps and a browser that you can actually use since I've had it before and now don't. What do they say? You don't miss something till its gone?
    11-23-2009 09:29 PM
    Hi rws381,

I have no experience with Exchange, but my Yahoo account is doing pretty well. My notifications are coming in time, and the only reason for network traffic is the Mail app checking to see if you have new mail since the last push (in yahoo's case at least).

Other than that, yeah, I hear you about BB being a bit boring when it comes to browsing and apps. Admob just released some stats saying iPhone web traffic accounts for 55% of all web traffic. The iPhone simply rules when it comes to browsing, apps, interface, etc etc etc...
    11-23-2009 10:24 PM
    You gotta go with your gut. I tried out a droid on my verizon account and I wanted to like it, always been interested in it. But in the end the iPhone was for me.
    11-23-2009 10:48 PM
    There are two apps that you can look at:

GPush
    iGmail

Both have Push notification with them. There is also a thread around here where others have gotten GMail to push with some third party software. I think Alli has done it.

I personally use GPush. It works GREAT for my three different GMail accounts. I have downloaded iGmail but have not really set it up yet. It has some nice extras (that you have to pay for) but I do not have a need for them yet.
    11-23-2009 10:57 PM
    I think I'd like to give it another try. Hopefully our telecommunications department doesn't get mad at me. Asked them to order me a phone, sent it back, now ask them to order it for me again...I sent it back about 14 days ago. Any idea how long it takes at&t to process my account to be eligible for upgrade?
    11-24-2009 06:26 AM
    To answer your question- no, Yahoo push on the iPhone is still spotty. Sometimes it works, sometimes, you have to open the email app for it to deliver your email notification. So they haven't fixed that yet. I also use Gmail thru the phone's single Exchange slot, and that is more reliable, but as you said, your work email will take up that slot. If you want reliable email that is rock solid, I think you will be disappointed going back to the iPhone, as like you said, the iPhone still has to access data to view the email.

What keeps me sticking with the iPhone are the other features like the browser.
    11-24-2009 06:39 AM
    If you can make it passed the bad battery life the phone is great, just make sure you have an extra charger around. There are lots of push email options out now, I find that gmail sync works the best though.
    11-24-2009 06:47 AM
    The battery life wasn't too huge of a barrier for me. My Yahoo email isn't terribly important, I wouldn't mind using fetch settings for that. I think I sent it back prematurely. Didn't take it for what it is and kept wanting it to work like BlackBerry.

But I just got off the phone with at&t. They say they received my phone and my bill will be credited $210. So I said "ok I'm still eligible for an upgrade right? Since I returned my upgrade and went back to my old device." They're saying no, I signed a new contract October, 16 2009 and used my upgrade at that time. I sent it back people...are they serious?
    11-24-2009 06:58 AM
    Did you try asking for the phone back?

If you plan on using fetch there's something in Cydia called PushMod that lets you change the intervals it checks for mail at to 1, 3 or 5 minutes along with the regular options.
    11-24-2009 07:19 AM
    Did you try asking for the phone back?
    Well that's a wonderful suggestion, I never thought of that. I still need to get in contact with our telecommunications department because they handle all the purchasing, returns and contract changes. Didn't have time today. I'm hoping they have someone they work with regularly that can help us out.
    11-24-2009 09:39 PM
    Well that's a wonderful suggestion, I never thought of that. I still need to get in contact with our telecommunications department because they handle all the purchasing, returns and contract changes. Didn't have time today. I'm hoping they have someone they work with regularly that can help us out.
    I can't even tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but having them take the credited fee back and having the phone returned to you seems perfectly reasonable, not sure how AT&T works though.

Since you have people to do the grunt work why not just have them figure it out?
    11-25-2009 09:58 AM
    I can't even tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but having them take the credited fee back and having the phone returned to you seems perfectly reasonable, not sure how AT&T works though.

Since you have people to do the grunt work why not just have them figure it out?
    Haha sorry, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. Thanks for the suggestion.

We have over 4,000 corporate lines so our phone guys are pretty busy. I just like to have the whole story before I call them. Makes it easier on them and they appreciate it.
    11-25-2009 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD