I tried searching for the answer but kept getting blanks.

I used an audio cable to connect iPhone to car stereo. I could not get stereo sound effect and I kept getting very loud "thumping" noises periodically. Realized it was coming from the connection so I disconnected as I was concerned I might damage the iPhone.

Is it ok to connect directly to iphone or better to go through a dock such as the tomtom car kit?

thanks all
    11-19-2009 08:45 AM
    what do you mean by "stereo sound effect"

were you connecting it to an AUX connection?
    11-19-2009 09:59 AM
    and to contine the thread, can I connect my Iphone the usb port in my car, like a memory stick or should I get a connection to the Aux function?
    11-19-2009 10:14 AM
    I found the same issue , I hated connecting my iphone @ Ipod through the head phone jack , plus I have some pretty serious Audio Equipment in the trunk of my grocery getter .

So my buddy who works at Best Buy got me the cable to hook up through the CD change input ( AUX INPUT ) . The sound is so much better , get that cable .

Amazon.com: Direct Audio Input From iPod Dock Connector to Kenwood CD Changer Input: Electronics
    11-19-2009 10:58 AM
    u just touched my specialty subject....what car sterio are you using? This will help me find u the best solution...is it ipod friendly?? (eg. does it have built-in ipod interface?)
    11-19-2009 12:02 PM
    Thanks all for the comments. I am embarassed to say that my issue was that I didn't push the connection in hard enough and didn't have a good connection. Once I got itright stereo sound was restored using aux on the car system.
    11-19-2009 12:13 PM
    and to contine the thread, can I connect my Iphone the usb port in my car, like a memory stick or should I get a connection to the Aux function?
    Yes u should be able to connect it via USB. I have the Pioneer P3100DVD in my car and i connect via USB and it has the built in iPod interface which i can control all my songs/videos thru my touchscreen headunit or i can switch it back so that i can control it thru my iPhone/iPod. iPod Friendly units are the best units to get to be able to do this but some of these units u have to purchase the "interface brain" seperately and/or u have to buy a different type of cable to do this. If you need help or have any questions regarding installs, dvd bypasses, headunits, speakers, anything at all...i would be more then happy to assist!
    11-19-2009 01:40 PM
    Yes u should be able to connect it via USB. I have the Pioneer P3100DVD in my car and i connect via USB and it has the built in iPod interface
    actually, you don't know if he should be able to until he tells what stereo he has. your stereo has the ipod interface software. the stereo in my wife's car does as well and a special dock connector cable connects to the back of the stereo using a 10-pin round connector (replaces a CD changer if I remember right)

the connector is irrelevant as to what connects to the stereo. it just needs a dock connector on the other end for software control

otherwise it uses the AUX connector and everything is controlled on the ipod/iphone
    11-20-2009 09:46 AM
    Ticman , I am glad you got it working .
    11-20-2009 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD