Which backing do you prefer, and what would you like to see
    on the next iPhone?
    11-19-2009 12:15 AM
    They went plastic because the reception was bad on the metal...but i think i would like the metal better i freaking hate the prints on my 3g
    ugh
    11-19-2009 12:24 AM
    On the contrary, i always had excellent reception on my iPhone 2G, I always liked the black butt too! I hope they have both features, for the new iPhone!...or better yet, glass!
    11-19-2009 12:27 AM
    I don't care what it is made of as long as it is all one color, no two tone.
    11-19-2009 02:24 AM
    I do not like the plastic. Fingerprints, and it's slippery too.
    11-19-2009 05:02 AM
    I do not like the plastic. Fingerprints, and it's slippery too.
    and if its slip it will be break and u would have to buy another
    lol
    great business sense
    11-19-2009 05:26 AM
    I don't understand how the metal back affected reception when the antenna was in the lower plastic part of the phone.

I think the metal design was very iconic but give that design to the 3G ergonomics , I would love one.

I love holding on to my 3Gs while walking or whenever. I used the 2G for a while and I hated how it felt in my hand. I think the flat back had something to do with it.
    11-19-2009 10:50 AM
    I don't care what it is made of as long as it is all one color, no two tone.
    Totally agree. I've liked the design much more since they went to straight black or white.
    11-19-2009 06:10 PM
    I prefer the metal back but I like the way the 3g feels in your hand better. The reason they switched from the metal back was because all the extra antenna radios they added. The reason it was okay for the 2g was because it only had an edge antenna and wifi.
    11-19-2009 07:19 PM
    i agree. the 3g feels better to hold but the 2g looked much better.
    11-19-2009 08:45 PM
    I love the aluminum of the 3G and it helped dissipate heat which is why I think the 2G was better at heat than the 3G but that's only a guess. I can't see cell reception being better because my GF's 2G gets reception in her basement when mine can't. I can see 3G getting better data reception because I pickup Wifi signals all the time when my GF's 2G doesn't see them. I love the way the 2G feels in my hand it has so much more substance. I would love to see the newer iPhone either with aluminum or if it's plastic add more colors.
    11-20-2009 09:31 AM
    I loved the 2G design. I like my white iPhone too but I've thought about trying to pick up a 4GB 2G on the cheap just to have. It felt like such a solid phone.
    11-20-2009 04:54 PM
    i never used a 2G iphone, but from what i've seen online, those things were rock solid!
    11-20-2009 05:09 PM
    i never used a 2G iphone, but from what i've seen online, those things were rock solid!
    Yup. 2 downfalls tho. 1) they were incredibly slippery, more so than the 3G IMO, 2) if you dropped it far enough or dropped something heavy on it it would dent.
    11-23-2009 05:53 PM
    yea i wish they would find a new metal or some way to make the 3g/s work with the metal back since it seems so much more solid. i don't mind the plastic but it would be nice to have the sturdiness. I am curious to see what the 4th gen will be made of.
    11-24-2009 07:57 AM
    I'd like to see a metal back with the contoured shape of the 3G, that'd be awesome
    11-24-2009 09:28 AM
    Yes, I'd love to see a full metal back on the next gen iPhone similar to that of the iPod Touch with the contoured design of the 3G. I am really careful with my phone and Still theplastic back gets randomly scratched just a little by who knows what. As far as the slippery quality of the previous metal backed design, they could easily fix that with a slight texture of some kind. Is it cost I wonder? That makes the most sense to me as to why they veered away from that material on the recent designs. Why not create the next gen. in two different backed materials. The metal one being a little more expensive (if that's the issue) to give those who wanted that kind of material, the option to have it, and for those that didn't care the plastic backed could still be avail. for slightly less $.?
    01-12-2010 06:14 AM
    Was the back of the 2G actually made of metal, or did it just have the appearance of being metal? A friend had a 2G and he insisted it was all plastic with a "brushed metal" appearance. I started with a 3GS so I honestly don't know anything about the physical characteristics of the 2G.
    01-12-2010 03:43 PM
    I'm not sure on that one, but I am pretty sure that the iPod Touch does have an all metal back and to me it really gives the appearance of solidity and durability. It just annoys me that the 3G/3GS backs can really scratch so easily! It's really just an aesthetic for me, but why not be able to keep them scratch free if you're going to spend $300 on your phone?
    01-13-2010 01:00 AM
    I'd agree on the iPod Touch. I have a 2G Touch and it definitely seems like a metal back. It's just the iPhone 2G that's I'm doubting.
    01-13-2010 11:47 AM
    Has anyone heard about this in the Apple 'rumor mill'?
    01-13-2010 11:58 PM
    With my iPhone 2G, it didn't take much to dent the back. Also, once when I did drop it, the back black plastic snapped off. With the iPhone 3GS, I really wanted a white model, but they were sold out. The plastic is more slippery and takes more fingerprints, but I think it feels better in the hand.
    01-14-2010 03:00 PM
    Peeps that didn't like a metal back could also just have it in a case.?
    01-18-2010 04:17 AM
    Metal looks so much better! Come on apple, let the next iPhone look as good as the aluminum MacBooks!
    01-20-2010 02:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD