Brush metal (2G) vs Plastic (3G-3GS)

iBenjii

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
On the contrary, i always had excellent reception on my iPhone 2G, I always liked the black butt too! I hope they have both features, for the new iPhone!...or better yet, glass!

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand how the metal back affected reception when the antenna was in the lower plastic part of the phone.

I think the metal design was very iconic but give that design to the 3G ergonomics , I would love one.

I love holding on to my 3Gs while walking or whenever. I used the 2G for a while and I hated how it felt in my hand. I think the flat back had something to do with it.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I prefer the metal back but I like the way the 3g feels in your hand better. The reason they switched from the metal back was because all the extra antenna radios they added. The reason it was okay for the 2g was because it only had an edge antenna and wifi.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I love the aluminum of the 3G and it helped dissipate heat which is why I think the 2G was better at heat than the 3G but that's only a guess. I can't see cell reception being better because my GF's 2G gets reception in her basement when mine can't. I can see 3G getting better data reception because I pickup Wifi signals all the time when my GF's 2G doesn't see them. I love the way the 2G feels in my hand it has so much more substance. I would love to see the newer iPhone either with aluminum or if it's plastic add more colors.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I loved the 2G design. I like my white iPhone too but I've thought about trying to pick up a 4GB 2G on the cheap just to have. It felt like such a solid phone.

PhxBlue

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
i never used a 2G iphone, but from what i've seen online, those things were rock solid!

Yup. 2 downfalls tho. 1) they were incredibly slippery, more so than the 3G IMO, 2) if you dropped it far enough or dropped something heavy on it it would dent.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
yea i wish they would find a new metal or some way to make the 3g/s work with the metal back since it seems so much more solid. i don't mind the plastic but it would be nice to have the sturdiness. I am curious to see what the 4th gen will be made of.

S.Casey

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I'd love to see a full metal back on the next gen iPhone similar to that of the iPod Touch with the contoured design of the 3G. I am really careful with my phone and Still theplastic back gets randomly scratched just a little by who knows what. As far as the slippery quality of the previous metal backed design, they could easily fix that with a slight texture of some kind. Is it cost I wonder? That makes the most sense to me as to why they veered away from that material on the recent designs. Why not create the next gen. in two different backed materials. The metal one being a little more expensive (if that's the issue) to give those who wanted that kind of material, the option to have it, and for those that didn't care the plastic backed could still be avail. for slightly less $.?

Rich

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Was the back of the 2G actually made of metal, or did it just have the appearance of being metal? A friend had a 2G and he insisted it was all plastic with a "brushed metal" appearance. I started with a 3GS so I honestly don't know anything about the physical characteristics of the 2G.

S.Casey

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure on that one, but I am pretty sure that the iPod Touch does have an all metal back and to me it really gives the appearance of solidity and durability. It just annoys me that the 3G/3GS backs can really scratch so easily! It's really just an aesthetic for me, but why not be able to keep them scratch free if you're going to spend $300 on your phone?

Rich

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I'd agree on the iPod Touch. I have a 2G Touch and it definitely seems like a metal back. It's just the iPhone 2G that's I'm doubting.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2