Question about giving iPhone to wife

cre8tivspirit

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
My contract with ATT for my iPhone will be up in December. My wife is eligible for an upgrade and her line is not technically under a contract.

If I give my wife my iPhone 3G, will she be required to enter into another 2 year contract even though the obligation for that phone has already been met and she didn't purchase it as an upgrade?

We are currently on a family plan, so her line is just a secondary line on my account.

I posted this question several days ago on the "Ask an ATT Rep" thread but go no response so I decided to post it to the general forum.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
No, she can just pop in her sim card and change her plan to the iPhone plan (AT&T will probably just do it automatically). She will not have to sign a new contract and her account will still be available for an upgrade.

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
So you have a Family Plan Account with you and your wife? The Family Account is up in December? Her phone upgrade is available now? Your Phone upgrade will be available in December as well as the renewal on the Family Plan. Are you going to stay with A T & T Family Plan? Just as llofte mentioned. swap sim cards in her phone, upgrade her line to iPhone plan... BAM... she has an iPhone! In December, check out upgrade promo's, possibly PROMO upgrade to another iPhone for you. If NO Promo are you going to purchase another iPhone for you?

cre8tivspirit

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I'm gonna stay with at&t. I've been with them for a little over 10 years now and they have always done right by me.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get the new 3Gs or not just yet. I'll just have to see.

Thanks for the info about giving the wife the phone. Appreciated.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
call AT&T. you want to update the imei they have listed with the sim card.

you risk getting over-billed if you don't have the right device/plan setup

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
It can all be done online. Iphone Data plan. And Iphone messaging. Everything is almost automatic with AT&T. I know my mom had a crappy flip phone. I gave her my Samsung Blackjack and switched the sim cards out and an hour later when I went to the account it had the icon next to her profile with the new device saying she had a Samsung Blackjack. So there won't be any confusion once the device is turned back on after a sim card transfer.

Josh

Greg Orlando

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
It is better to buy a new iphone for your wife. I do not think she can get the same service after the end of the contract. You should go for the latest iphone for your wife this time as you will get the upgraded version.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods