I have a 3gs and ever since the one of the file updates(I don't remember which one but it started the one before the mms update) I have been experiancing an annoying problem. Sometimes my phone will say it will have full 3g service when in reality it doesn't. I can not make/recieve a call, text or browse the Internet. Some times turining off 3g makes it work but it only fixes the problem rarley. So most of the time Turing on/off 3g doesn't do anything except makes the antenna signal say no serivce. This is despite other people with a 3gs having full 3g serivce. Rebooting it usually does nothing except saying no serivce. If I boot it without 3g it sometimes connects to edvo but usually if I turn on 3g after that it goes back to no service and I need to repeat the process.
    sometimes the signal appears but without an edvo connection or 3g which also means no calls/texts or Internet.

Now this problem does not occur every day. Let's say it happens a hand full of times every month. Usually by my gfs house but it usually corrects it'self before I get annoyed enough to go to apple. Anyone have any ideas of what I should do?

11-11-2009 06:44 PM
    Call AT&T and have them troublshoot with you. Personally I think it is the 3g network being overloaded, especially since MMS came out.
    11-11-2009 06:54 PM
    First I'd talk with AT&T, then go to Apple when the phone is in that condition. I know they usually want an appointment though, you may have to go with the phone not in that condition and just explain the issue and perhaps they'll replace the device for you.
    11-11-2009 07:06 PM
    Yeah it's in that condition right now but I have a feeling when i get a chance to go it won't be. It usually acts up at the times when I have no chance of going. Do you think AT&T will actually help though. I have a feeling there going to direct me to go straight to apple. Unless you guys think it's going to be a sim card issue. Has anyone else heard of this problem
    11-11-2009 07:51 PM
    Have you tried to reset network settings ?
    11-11-2009 08:33 PM
    Worked this time, Ty
    however, this was one of the longest times it has done this and it usually corrects itself after awhile. The big test will be when it decides to do that again
    11-11-2009 08:47 PM
    Ok spoke too soon. After doing the reset it connected to 3g but after that it said searching for about 10 mins and then no service in a full 3g area. I tried the network reset 3 more times but it didn't work. So I turned off 3g and after 3 mins it connected to edvo.
    I'm going to try a factory reset on iTunes since I have a feeling that's what apple will say to do. Does anyone know if our text messages, program memory and email settings are backed up or should I write down my email settings (it was hard to figure out and my school was no help)
    11-11-2009 09:39 PM
    have you contacted ATT?
    11-12-2009 08:57 AM
    This happens to me on and off whenever I travel to NYC. The last time I was there in September I couldn't get any data, SMS, or make a phone call for like 20 mins while in soho.

Just crappy ATT network.
    11-12-2009 09:46 AM
    the genius bar has a diagnostic program that tells them every detail about the phone. it can tell them about all the dropped calls, what % your battery was when you plugged it in, etc.... when you have a problem making calls, like when it says call failed, take a screenshot to show them. i was having the same issue with my 3GS and they replaced it. first move you make is calling att to troubleshoot. they might request you get a new sim card. if that doesnt solve your problem make an appt at the apple store.
    11-12-2009 11:28 AM
    they replaced it, they said its a problem associated with 3.1; luckly it happened right when I got to the genius bar so I didnt have to even explain. Im happy, when my blackberry had a DEFECT(the usb ports were coming out in the BB Curve), Sprint made me pay for a replacement phone because they said "I dropped it" and I couldnt dispute the claim. So A+ with CS with apple
    11-12-2009 11:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD