Stupid thing to do...

Reagy

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Ive had an iPhone 3GS for the last 3 months and haven't experienced any problems. Just now I decided to do a 'hard reboot' (holding down the home button and the awake/sleep button simultaneously for 10 seconds). Despite what the Apple guys said: "Only do this when your phone is frozen..". The reason I did it is because I read on numerous blogs that doing so will increase the speed of my phone. Well, there was no speed increase. And I'm paranoid about what this may have done to the phone's software. Am I right to worry? How do I test whether my 3GS hasn't sustained any permanent damage? Are there any diagnostic/performance tests that can be run?

Regards

Saddened Iphone owner

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Remember, being on the Internet does not make someone an expert.
Listen to the Apple tech.

But, no, you didn't damage it and the people who say it makes things faster don't know what they're talking about.

blogs written by people who can't prove their content is accurate are in "the sky is red!" category. have doubt about the content until you can prove otherwise.

Last edited:

Reagy

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Flyingember. Definately remember that next time!

I wonder if there's a way to run your phone through some kind of benchmark test to ensure there's been no loss in performance. I'll try contacting the apple guys..

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
There's no problem with holding down home and power to reboot. There will be no loss in performance, or gain really. It's just a reboot of the phone, meaning it has to go through the entire startup procedure again. Don't worry, it's not a bad thing and you didn't harm your phone at all. It can kill a rogue process that is running for whatever reason.

Reagy

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
It's funny the polar opposite views I've received. Thanks for your input. The apple tech guy said that hard reboots are the equivalent to yanking the cord out of a running computer. Doesn't sound all that healthy and not at all like killing a rogue process but rather killing the OS. Well, my phone hasn't screwed up so I might be over reacting. But I deinately won't be doing a hard reboot again.

Cheers

tchaves

May 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you need to worry quite so much. I've had to do multiple hard reboots when my 3G was completely frozen and haven't had any problems.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It's funny the polar opposite views I've received. Thanks for your input. The apple tech guy said that hard reboots are the equivalent to yanking the cord out of a running computer. Doesn't sound all that healthy and not at all like killing a rogue process but rather killing the OS. Well, my phone hasn't screwed up so I might be over reacting. But I deinately won't be doing a hard reboot again.

Cheers

If your phone wasn't frozen you should have just held down the awake/sleep button(power) until it says swipe to shutdown. It would achieve the same thing, I only use the power/home button when the phone freezes up or is un-responsive. It doesn't really matter though like others have said I've done that many, many times as well as many others so you don't have a thing to worry about.

iamfudge

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I probably do this to my 3GS once every couple of weeks. I do a reset to clear the memory. I never turn my phone off, and usually run the battery till dead about once a month. I get great battery life always have 3G and Wifi on, my brightness up about 90% and everything "pushing" from IMs to twitter.
You don't have anything to worry about.

slippieslik

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
i hardreboot my 3gs all the time actually about once every couple of days just to clear the memory and make sure it knows not to back itself up and havent had any problems but my 3g has had probs doing this...so it is really your call i have a prog call freememory that helps a lot but my 3gs wont take it...no clue but nice to have

Reagy

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. *I'm an obsessive compulsive and always worry about these kind of things. *I still maintain that hardbooting should be used only as a last resort when the phone's frozen and there's no other alternative. *

Consider this: *why would the Apple tech gurus advise against a hard reboot? *Why would they lie about the negative effects associated with it? *What have they got to gain accept dispensing advice to help anal owners like myself? *Inveterate hardbooters may have had no problems but why take the risk? *Oh, and by the way, just to ask this out of curiosity, are hardbooters mostly made up of jailbreakers? *I sense they aren't mutually exclusive and either have something against Apple's "notoriously inflexible" policies or are simply testing the waters...it's your iPhone so I say do as you please but i'm quite happy with the status quo especially seeing that I've had no serious glitches, touch wood. * * * * * *

Reagy

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Sorry that last post had weird asterixes/stars. I copied and pasted from this app called Awesome Notes (pretty good by the way, I wholeheatedly recommend it). Don't bloody know why those weird marks were displayed though.

Regards

Tech Illeterate Simpleton

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. *I'm an obsessive compulsive and always worry about these kind of things. *I still maintain that hardbooting should be used only as a last resort when the phone's frozen and there's no other alternative. *

Consider this: *why would the Apple tech gurus advise against a hard reboot? *Why would they lie about the negative effects associated with it? *What have they got to gain accept dispensing advice to help anal owners like myself? *Inveterate hardbooters may have had no problems but why take the risk? *Oh, and by the way, just to ask this out of curiosity, are hardbooters mostly made up of jailbreakers? *I sense they aren't mutually exclusive and either have something against Apple's "notoriously inflexible" policies or are simply testing the waters...it's your iPhone so I say do as you please but i'm quite happy with the status quo especially seeing that I've had no serious glitches, touch wood. * * * * * *

I don't know why they advised you against doing that, it was one of the first things they advised me to do when my phone was running slow or otherwise behaving oddly.

Reagy

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I wonder why? Honestly, I wouldn't if I were you coz Ive heard from a variety of Apple employees about it. Try asking someone else at Apple. Bet they say only do it if the phone's frozen.

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I wonder why? Honestly, I wouldn't if I were you coz Ive heard from a variety of Apple employees about it. Try asking someone else at Apple. Bet they say only do it if the phone's frozen.

I was told to reboot by an ATT rep when I had issues with signal strength at my workplace. I've actually rebooted several times before, and see no I'll effects. I don't think you need get all bent outta shape about it. Your phone will be fine.