Comp crashed...quick question

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Ok so this is what happened:

I was using my HP touchsmart, did the usual updates, restarted. While it was restarting I heard an usual "click"...so everything was good, then about 5-6 mins later it started to run very very slow. So I called HP Tech line, the lady had me do some stuff, then I got an error "1002". I told her and I could just hear the disappointment in her voice. Apparently my motherboard sh** the bed.

My question is:

When I get it back in 4 days, do I just re-download iTunes, re-authorize me laptop, and sign in to my account iTunes account and all my stuff will still be there? By stuff I mean apps I bought from appstore. I plan on doing this and just syncing my iPhone to it. My iPhone is also JB with Blackra1n. Most likely my Windows 7 upgrade will be here by then too...

thanks for the help in advance. (sorry for writing so much)

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It depends on what they do to fix it, but everything may still be there and you might not even have to re-authorize.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
She said they would just swap out motherboard. But the comp would come like it did when it was brand new. Thank god i put all my music, vids, docs, etc on my ex hard drive like 3 days before this happen. I was getting ready for windows 7

wabbit#IM

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
99% you will get a new image on the hdd with the os, which means you lose everything.

and the pc will need to be auth with itunes again.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
well that's ok b/c I have it all on my ex HD. And it's pretty easy to re-auth...thanks everyone

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
That really blows and I'm sorry to hear. We've had three or four of our Dell laptop motherboards replaced where I work and they never wiped the hard drive. I'll tell you a couple tricks, ofcourse it wont help you now. When you send it in if they are replacing the mobo you should remove your hard drive. I've sent in tons of laptops for repair to Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba, etc. this way. They replace the motherboard put a blank or loaded hard drive to test the system and send it back when it's done. Unless they ask you to specifically leave the drive in there. Another option would have been to create an image to an external drive which would put your laptop back just as it was before you sent it off. If you had vista there is a built in backup tool, if you have XP or any lower version of windows pop over to Symantec site and grab Norton Ghost it's a fully functional 30 day trial that would allow you to create a backup image to your external drive. Lastly don't be surprised if although they said it would come back like you bought it everything is still there like you had it, same thing happend when I sent an Acer in for repair. When you get Win7 it also has built in backup tool once you've set it up create an image that way no matter what happens you don't have to start completely from scratch.

Bashy

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Is there a way tobackup Itunes?
I'm gonna install win7 on my vista machine and want to make sure I lose niothing on my JB'd 3gs
cheers

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73