Key click sound changes volume?

edokid

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone just got my first iPhone, weird issue though. When I type it obvously makes the audio clicking sounds which I like, but a lot of times the volume is different. I'll be typing a message and the click will be faint and not noticeable then other times its much louder. It even changes during a sentice, might start out quiet then gets louder. Is there a reason for this or is something wrong here? It's not a huge deal I just can't figure out why it does it. I thought maybe the speed I type or the pressure did it but nothing seems to change it. All my other audio is fine!

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Make sure you're not covering the speaker with your hand. It is at the bottom left of the phone. The right side is the microphone. ( or it's vice versa, but I think this is right )

drgbdc

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
click volume change

I have noticed the exact same think and have made sure I am not covering anything (mic or speaker). Anyone know what the click volume change is from?

Jer686

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Im having the same prob. And to the guy who says make sure your not covering the speaker" COME ON!!! were not that stupid!!!
So what's going on??

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Im having the same prob. And to the guy who says make sure your not covering the speaker" COME ON!!! were not that stupid!!!
So what's going on??

the first rule of it troubleshooting is to start simple

if you don't say you know where the speaker is then we can't assume you know that

have you tried calling apple? Could be a faulty speaker.

Staytuned1974

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing... I am a very new iphone user not even a week... I thought it was part of how it worked.. hmmm I will have to look into this further...

chevyfifty2

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Key Click sound changes volume

I have experienced the same issue and have taken my new 3gs to the "genius" at my local Apple store and showed them and they have replace the phone and reset it twice and each time the issue goes away for a little while but always comes back. I am not sure what to do or where to go with it.
All I can say is that if you are experiencing this, or any other issue, you need to report it. If you are experiencing this issue and you do not report it, it will never be corrected. Always remember old saying, "The squeeky wheel always gets greased." If Apple does not know that it is broke because you are not reporting the issue, then they cannot correct the issue.:D

tantanz

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem..
Any1 found solution to this?
My only stupid workaround is to have autocorrection voice enabled.. so then when the click volume is low i type something like "applr" and the voice says "apple" loudly and the click volume is back.. very stupid but something to show it is a software problem..

Saweinstein

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4 and have a similar problem
The system volume suddenly
Becomes almost muted.
I found (dumb luck) that switching
To the iPod briefly and hitting play
Always seems to restore it. I'll likely
Get it checked as I use the
Phone as my alarm and it happens
Somewhat frequently.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The only time I've noticed this is when listening to music. The music now goes over the keyboard click sounds, where before the keyboard click sound always had priority. When I'm not playing music the keyboard clicks sound normal.

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed a slight audio boost to the key click when another sound is playing. When I notice it is when I am involved in an SMS conversation. As the sound plays when it sends an SMS or MMS. and I am typing at the same time, the key click is louder.

The whole covering the speaker thing is a valid point. When I used the bumper. If that tiny speaker hole was covered in the slightest, it would almost mute the audio. I don't have that issue with my incase slider.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
My 3GS has always done this too. I'm glad to know it's not normal.
In addition to a minor screen flaw, now there are 2 imperfections with my iPhone. I might see about getting it replaced before the warranty runs out.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
The volume of key click sounds is adjusted with your ringtone volume.

Yes, that's true, but not what we're talking about.

If I'm typing a message with the keyboard, the click sound that occurs when I tap a key does not have a consistent volume.
Let's say I set the volume to 5 bars: Sometimes it sounds like 5, sometimes it sounds like 2.

Not a big deal, just odd.

Saweinstein

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. When it does it's "autumuffle"
I can (and do) turn the volume
Up all the way, it's sounds
Are barely audible. But playing
The iPod even for a second
Seems to reset it.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
It's a bug. If it bothers people that much, turn it off. Otherwise, wait until a future update. Has anyone tried it on 4.1?

I have mine turned off. It's rather annoying.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro