Hey everyone just got my first iPhone, weird issue though. When I type it obvously makes the audio clicking sounds which I like, but a lot of times the volume is different. I'll be typing a message and the click will be faint and not noticeable then other times its much louder. It even changes during a sentice, might start out quiet then gets louder. Is there a reason for this or is something wrong here? It's not a huge deal I just can't figure out why it does it. I thought maybe the speed I type or the pressure did it but nothing seems to change it. All my other audio is fine!
    11-06-2009 10:59 AM
    Make sure you're not covering the speaker with your hand. It is at the bottom left of the phone. The right side is the microphone. ( or it's vice versa, but I think this is right )
    11-06-2009 11:59 AM
    I have noticed the exact same think and have made sure I am not covering anything (mic or speaker). Anyone know what the click volume change is from?
    11-24-2009 01:19 PM
    even if you're not covering it with your hand, how it reflects will change how it sounds
    11-24-2009 03:20 PM
    it's same with Ringtone
    11-26-2009 03:50 AM
    Im having the same prob. And to the guy who says make sure your not covering the speaker" COME ON!!! were not that stupid!!!
    So what's going on??
    11-27-2009 02:55 AM
    Im having the same prob. And to the guy who says make sure your not covering the speaker" COME ON!!! were not that stupid!!!
    So what's going on??
    the first rule of it troubleshooting is to start simple

if you don't say you know where the speaker is then we can't assume you know that

have you tried calling apple? Could be a faulty speaker.
    11-27-2009 10:37 AM
    Mine is doing the same thing... I am a very new iphone user not even a week... I thought it was part of how it worked.. hmmm I will have to look into this further...
    12-04-2009 09:44 AM
    I have experienced the same issue and have taken my new 3gs to the "genius" at my local Apple store and showed them and they have replace the phone and reset it twice and each time the issue goes away for a little while but always comes back. I am not sure what to do or where to go with it.
    All I can say is that if you are experiencing this, or any other issue, you need to report it. If you are experiencing this issue and you do not report it, it will never be corrected. Always remember old saying, "The squeeky wheel always gets greased." If Apple does not know that it is broke because you are not reporting the issue, then they cannot correct the issue.
    12-21-2009 02:25 PM
    I have the same problem..
    Any1 found solution to this?
    My only stupid workaround is to have autocorrection voice enabled.. so then when the click volume is low i type something like "applr" and the voice says "apple" loudly and the click volume is back.. very stupid but something to show it is a software problem..
    01-26-2010 07:31 PM
    I have an iPhone 4 and have a similar problem
    The system volume suddenly
    Becomes almost muted.
    I found (dumb luck) that switching
    To the iPod briefly and hitting play
    Always seems to restore it. I'll likely
    Get it checked as I use the
    Phone as my alarm and it happens
    Somewhat frequently.
    09-05-2010 12:52 AM
    The only time I've noticed this is when listening to music. The music now goes over the keyboard click sounds, where before the keyboard click sound always had priority. When I'm not playing music the keyboard clicks sound normal.
    09-05-2010 01:37 AM
    I have noticed a slight audio boost to the key click when another sound is playing. When I notice it is when I am involved in an SMS conversation. As the sound plays when it sends an SMS or MMS. and I am typing at the same time, the key click is louder.

The whole covering the speaker thing is a valid point. When I used the bumper. If that tiny speaker hole was covered in the slightest, it would almost mute the audio. I don't have that issue with my incase slider.
    09-05-2010 10:46 AM
    My 3GS has always done this too. I'm glad to know it's not normal.
    In addition to a minor screen flaw, now there are 2 imperfections with my iPhone. I might see about getting it replaced before the warranty runs out.
    09-05-2010 11:06 AM
    The volume of key click sounds is adjusted with your ringtone volume.
    09-05-2010 11:26 AM
    The volume of key click sounds is adjusted with your ringtone volume.
    Yes, that's true, but not what we're talking about.

If I'm typing a message with the keyboard, the click sound that occurs when I tap a key does not have a consistent volume.
    Let's say I set the volume to 5 bars: Sometimes it sounds like 5, sometimes it sounds like 2.

Not a big deal, just odd.
    09-05-2010 11:35 AM
    Exactly. When it does it's "autumuffle"
    I can (and do) turn the volume
    Up all the way, it's sounds
    Are barely audible. But playing
    The iPod even for a second
    Seems to reset it.
    09-05-2010 07:18 PM
    It's a bug. If it bothers people that much, turn it off. Otherwise, wait until a future update. Has anyone tried it on 4.1?

I have mine turned off. It's rather annoying.
    09-05-2010 08:12 PM
    turned what off? mute all? i use the phone as an alarm clock. is 4.1 out?
    09-05-2010 08:27 PM
    turned what off? mute all? i use the phone as an alarm clock. is 4.1 out?
    He's saying he turned off the keyboard click sound.
    09-05-2010 09:10 PM
    This issue cropped up when either iOS 3.0 or 3.1 was released...key click volume was reduced except when either, the email sounds, sms tone sounds, ringtone plays, or when listening to music in the iPod app. I see the same issue with my iPad as well.
    09-05-2010 11:39 PM
    so does this sound like its a bug from the Os or more like a problem with the phone..basically is it something worth taking into the apple store to get it checked out or not.
    09-07-2010 05:25 PM
    Im bummed. Updated to 4.1, and click sound is still low..i dont know what to do...im debating if i should take it in to apple.
    09-09-2010 12:59 AM
    I've had this issue on my iPhone 6 since I got it - nothing fixes it.

It's definitely a bug - we'll have to wait for the "geniuses" at Apple to acknowledge and fix it with the next IOS version.
    06-05-2015 07:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD